[NFP] Portugal Reveal Video Discussion

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Duke William of Normandy, Mar 18, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Wielki Hegemon

Wielki Hegemon Emperor

Just please fix corporation mode now. Remove all this tourism buff from monopolies and I am ready for Portugal.

2. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am. Moderator

Substandard HD images of the Nau, Navigation School, & Feitoria. (At least until I can get my hands on some proper HD images.)

Bosque, rlw33, Kjimmet and 16 others like this.
  3. Duke William of Normandy

Duke William of Normandy King of England & Unofficial Welcoming Committee

I think this makes up for them screwing up the Torre de Belem. Those look amazing.

Kjimmet, Kimiimaro, Uberfrog and 2 others like this.
  4. Datgingah

Datgingah Warlord

After watching the video I’m very hyped, this seems fun and unique in terms of play style.
    Poor old phonecia just got pretty badly powercrept tho, with it’s naval focus and extra trade routes being absolutely blown past. All they have left is the capital movement - hope they receive some tweaks in the future to focus more on that, cause if I’m to choose a naval civ now it will never be phonecia...

5. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir Emperor

Late to the party, and just want to point out that the Navigation School is a beautiful surprise. IRL Age of Discovery Portugal has a strong cartography tradition, their maps basically supported their naval expeditions, even Spain tried to do intellectual theft to Portuguese naval maps.

By adding the Navigation School for Portugal, the civilization is not just a general "trade-foused" civ, but something genuinely Portugal, no to say that the extra Science and Production can pointed to different victory conditions - as the devs said, "new strategies would be used" for Portugal. This is really a thoughtfully designed civ.

6. Lokreah

Lokreah Chieftain

Joao III has an updated model compared to the rest of the cast. Still cartoonist, but more detail, sleek and shiny.

Possibility of another expansion...?

7. blackbutterfly

blackbutterfly Emperor

Sri Lanka is already represented by Kandy.

Colombo was a British port FYI.

Bosque and Hakan-i Cihan like this.
  8. Duke William of Normandy

Duke William of Normandy King of England & Unofficial Welcoming Committee

Probably the best in the NFP besides Vietnam or the Mayans.

9. Lokreah

Lokreah Chieftain

Updated font in the civilization detail screen as well.

Meluhhan, conorbebe and Zegangani like this.
  10. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

Interesting details..
    Portugal variety of coastal features fits quite well with my Go-To-Map -- Archipelago/Standard+.. while the overall Economic events focus should be pretty challenging against any other Civs under most conditions, specially MansaMusa's tactical edges.

Like what i saw (( except for that weirdly executed Fatso-3D model for João! )) so far but as usual, real ingame experience will certainly be the last judge.

PS; Welcome to the gang for that custom Leaders list, Portugal!

EuroAfricanGambit(11).png

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  11. AriaLyric

AriaLyric Nonbinary | Peaceful Builder

Ooh boy I just woke up, this looks really nice!!!
    She was pretty close but ultimately off, which is the last thing I'd've guessed. I thought she'd either say it completely americanized or completely authentic tbh. As is, she pronounced it variably as "ZHOO-uh" (/ˈʒu.ə/) and "ZHOO-oh" (/ˈʒu.oʊ/) when then closest English-compatible approximation would be "zhoo-OW" (/ʒuˈaʊ/)
    I wonder if the other civ's lighthouse, seaport, mausoleum of halicarnassus etc buffs will also be applied to the feitoria and sent to the portuguese capital?
    Or you could spam them along the coastline of any other civ that so dares as to build the mausoleum of halicarnassus before you :mischief:
    I wonder if that means you could place them even next to a coastal Mt. Vesuvius withoug worrying about losing it to eruptions?

12. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

I wonder if you can build a freitoria on top of a sea resource. That would be annoying.

Linklite likes this.
  13. AriaLyric

AriaLyric Nonbinary | Peaceful Builder

OH MY GOD YOU'RE RIGHT he's João III and NOT João Iii
    This is AMAZING news

Kjimmet, Kimiimaro, Zyxpsilon and 8 others like this.
  14. blackbutterfly

blackbutterfly Emperor

I wonder if the Feitoria provides any defense? (Like it does in Civ V).

15. DogeEnricoDandolo

DogeEnricoDandolo King

I wonder what happens if a Feitoria is pillaged. Do you have to send a worker all the way to fix it?

16. Linklite

Linklite Emperor

I'm wondering if you can build multiple and if it's traversible. I mean, if you can't get ships through it and someone spams a circle of them around your harbour...

17. bbbt

bbbt Deity

Looks pretty strong. Even if completely landlocked, being able to get a bunch of early trade route slots for internal trade routes from meeting civs is decently strong. And oddly the perma open borders with CSes actually probably assists land exploration more than sea exploration.

I'm going the other way - how will they get hit with the (inevitable?) nerf bat? Probably reduce the Nau to only one Fetoria or the trade bonus to +25% or something.

18. AntSou

AntSou Deity

That +1 sight will be very fun as well.

I think I'll be playing two starting Scouts + Survey pretty often with Portugal. Should have quite an advantage towards grabbing free city-state envoys and locating Huts. Classical Golden Age should be accessible. Grab Settlers with Faith then grow them quickly with internal trade routes. Magnus' Surplus Logistics will be very useful to Portugal.

19. FinalDoomsday

FinalDoomsday Prince

Joao looks great but whats up with the Portugese cities using the default European style and not the same one Spain and Brazil use? Not that it matters much for me since I use Leugi's city style mod and they are good at staying on top of these updates but still that seems weird to me.

AriaLyric likes this.
  20. Lokreah

Lokreah Chieftain

Oh I didn't notice that, I actually meant the font itself. It's different than the one in-game atm. And as I stated before, Joao has a brand new model, new pixels, lighting and all.

They wouldn't just give a single civilization leader a brand new model, now, would they? Perhaps in thinking too much into it, but I would bet that a new expansion is coming or the April rebalance is going to be a coup de grace with more than just number tweaking.

Kjimmet, Meluhhan, conorbebe and 3 others like this.