1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Portugal UHV -- Opening Borders

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by aprogressivist, Jul 23, 2010.

1. aprogressivist

aprogressivist Chieftain

I am really struggling to get 12 Open Border agreements as Portugal. Any tips?

I have no problem OB'ing the Europeans (although Psychobella pretty much has to be OB'd on the first turn even before you found Lisbon, or else after Close Border penalties, she will never OB with you again) & Mali, and I use the Conquerors to vassalise the Aztecs and Incans. That usually gives me 10:

1. Spain
    2. France
    3. England
    4. Netherlands
    5. Germany
    6. Vikings
    7. Russia
    8. Mali
    9. Aztecs
    10. Incans

For the last two, I struggle. Getting an OB with Arabia seems to be pot luck, since they often become the Worst Enemy of Spain, and there's no way in hell I'm declaring war on Spain.

Turkey and Japan -- these two are lost causes, I think.

Khmer: I've gotten OB with them before, but in my last game, I failed to sway them despite having a total of +5 and giving them all my tech. It was ridiculous. They're supposed to be easy? :-/

Mongolia & China: very frequently, China has either collapsed or been vassalised to Mongolia. If that's the case, I tend to find it's very difficult to insert a crowbar in there to leverage an OB.

I dunno. I'm a bit annoyed with this UHV. Any suggestions?

2. kochman

kochman Deity

I have always found this to be one of the easiest challenges, but it has to be done as soon as you meet nations for the most part... otherwise you end up with bad blood if too much time passes.
    If you meet a nation for the first time, and they are "cautious", and won't open borders, give them 10 :gold:
    If that doesn't get them "to pleased", give them 10 more, wait a turn...

If they still aren't, you may want to give them something else (more gold, a small tech works great for the new world civs)...

3. smile286

smile286 Chieftain

3000 BC start may help: if Rome, Greece or Persia is still on the map, they will OB with you. And don't forget Ethiopia!
    And also Free Religion will help establish an OB agreement with non-Christian civs.

4. blizzrd

blizzrd Micromanager

1. Don't adopt a state relgion. Ever.
    2. Gift 10g upon contact with everyone you meet.
    3. Declarations of war can help, for instance with Turkey and Arabia - if neither are opening borders with you but at war with each other - DOW one of them and you should get one more OB agreement out of this.
    4. Conquer an independent city near cautious civs and gift it to them. For example conquering the indy city in Burma and liberating to Khmer is an easy way to get onside with the Khmer.

5. kochman

kochman Deity

The summary of the last few comments, including mine...

No religion... give gifts.

It'll work out wonderfully.

6. aprogressivist

aprogressivist Chieftain

Oh, I know about the 10g gift and never adopt a state religion... but even that doesn't seem to help that much for Arabia, Turkey and the Asian nations :(

7. kochman

kochman Deity

Give bigger gifts...
    China goes through a period where they are closed to the outside world basically (like in history).

Khmer always seem to start off mad...

Japan, well... hehe

IF they are around...
    You should be able to get, quite easily:
    France, Spain, Greece, Vikings, Dutch, Germans, England, Mali, Ethiopians, India, new world civs
    A little harder:
    Russia, Turkey, Egypt, Persia, Babylon
    Pretty hard:
    China, Khmer, Arabs

8. aprogressivist

aprogressivist Chieftain

The biggest bonus you can get through gifts is +4, right?

Then you either need to start bombarding them with gifted Techs to get the "You've given us technological aid" bonus--which is pretty hard to do; or you hope that at some point they demand tribute and you can offer it, or that they demand you declare war on someone you weren't planning on having OBs with.

I have to say, I don't think this is an easy UHV to accomplish in the 600AD scenario. :sad:

9. kochman

kochman Deity

Yes, bigger gifts includes things like techs...
    Cities...
    Help in war...
    Etc.

Look at whatever is green in the relations, and work on those.

10. Ogrelord

Ogrelord Prince

oh..wait a second.

I don't have to OB's with all 12 civs at the same time do I? Thus I do/don't have to maintain all 11 OBs 'till I get the 12th?

11. Magnificent One

Magnificent One Stetsons are cool.

Portugal is much easier in the 3000bc start. But gifting and generally being friendly can help alot.

You have to have the 12 OB's at the same time.

12. blizzrd

blizzrd Micromanager

And when being nice doesn't work, you can also try a little subjugation to get some capitulation. Enforced Open Borders agreements work just as well for the UHV goal as ones given freely.

13. Ogrelord

Ogrelord Prince

Last time I played Portugal, I was hoping that the AI Civs didn't collapsed before I could reach them and get all 12.

14. Magnificent One

I managed to get Spain and Mali as my Vassal.That helped me to get the OB's

15. kochman

kochman Deity

When I play, I end up with all but one or two nations having OBs with me, every time I play.

16. Ogrelord

Ogrelord Prince

Is Casablanca a good starting first capital or better off a secondary city?

17. Magnificent One

In my experiences,it's better as a secondary city.

18. blizzrd

blizzrd Micromanager

You don't need any city in Morocco. Found Ponta Delgada (Azores) instead because the extra early commerce from the ocean tiles is what you need to tech towards Caravels. Use the whip (Slavery) in Ponta Delgada and you can get all the buildings that you will need without problems. But getting workers into Africa to improve tiles around Casablanca takes far too long and is not recommended.

Apart from two cities in Europe, your other cities should all be colonies for resources.

19. Wessel V1

Wessel V1 Emperor

I personally don't like Ponta Delgada, so I rather have Carthage or a city in South Africa. Downside of these are that a nearby Byzantine city has to be destroyed and that it takes too much time to go to South Africa.

20. blizzrd

blizzrd Micromanager

Care to share why your dislike of Ponta Delgada? Because it is more efficient to help get your tech rate up as an early 2nd city than going to North Africa is, and it gives you easier access to an extra happiness resource in Whale than North Africa does too.