1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Poser Thread Only

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by polyphemus, Jun 25, 2005.

1. polyphemus

polyphemus join the long blue line

This Thread is intended to simply be a Poser Thread. Only Poser related questions and answers are to be posted here.
    My intention is this thread is to have poser users ask questions here and have the poser experts answer them so that anyone having the same problems can just look at this thread. Somewhat like a FAQ thread for poser only that the users will post questions (not me) and others will answer them.
    So to start off, I have two questions:

1. I started a foot unit's default animation. I made the unit sway a bit but intead of the chest and hips swaying, the legs and feet instead sway from side to side. I was told to turn the inverse kinetics for the legs on. Unfortunatley they already were on. :cry: So if anyone has any answers to this please post it.

2. I imported a TIE form 3ds format. How do i make it a prop in the 'Setup" room so i can use it freely without importing it all the time and simply use it through the library?

Any answers to these questions are welcomed and hoped to recieve.

2. Hikaro Takayama

Hikaro Takayama a.k.a Laura

1) When I do any animation in Poser, I usually don't move the hip, but rahter the torso and feet independently... I never had the problem you did, though.

2) After you import the model and texture it, go to the "Props" and open a convenient sub library (say Custom Props) and there should be a (+) button at the bottom of the library and when you click on that, it will allow you to save it as a prop in that library (after you give it a name, of course). After that, all you have to do is go to the library and create the prop as you normally would.

3. polyphemus

That's right. Thanks for your help.

4. polyphemus

1. I need help on how to create a death animation in poser. the unit i want to create the death animation with is my speederbike.
    I need help on how to add smoke and flames for the death in Poser.

2. SOmewhat related question. I want to make a run animation for the same unit. How do i add engine fire to the animation along with engine smoke.

if anyone knows the answers to these i would be most grateful.

5. Ogedei_the_Mad

Ogedei_the_Mad Caffeinated Khagan

Do you know if gMax can be used to make props for Poser figures? gMax files are .GDS rather than .3DS format.

6. cyberstrong

cyberstrong Chieftain

I really like this mod however I´ve encountered a few bugs. Missing Entry in text/Pediaicons.txt ANIMNAME_PRTO_Resister and then i also had problems with a missing ini file for the resister. I´m currently playing as khymerians on Rhyes 134x130 map and i really like this mod but there seems to be room for more techs in the future era... great job despite the bugs, hope there will be a patch or that the real version will be bugfree

7. cyberstrong

cyberstrong Chieftain

sorry i posted in the wrong thread...

8. Kinboat

Kinboat Conan the Librarian

As far as I know GMax can't be used to export anything that Poser can import... Although if someone were to write a plugin script for it they might be able to get it to work... Although again I'm not sure of the legal grounds, I think the company would frown on that sort of thing. They provide GMax free but they only let companies who license it write a program to allow it to export into their program.

Special effects are a tricky thing in Poser. If you go to this thread (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=1397395) I have a gun smoke prop to download with a link (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=2489282&postcount=90) to an explanation of how I use it. A similar method could be used for dust or smoke following a car (with different transparency images, or maybe just those resized or distorted).
    For fire (I did a torch on one unit) I just had a small prop that was vaguely flame shaped and in the animation I resized/rotated it to get it to look like a flame leaping around.

9. polyphemus

thanks kinboat. I download the thread and i hope it helps, probably will.

Thanks

10. polyphemus

Reserved post for question answer session

11. polyphemus

This is a question i grabbed from a thread:

12. polyphemus

This was a recent PM betwenn me and Kinboat

13. Hikaro Takayama

Polyphemus, for Gunsmoke and such type effects, I usually just cut and paste them in as an over-layer in PSP that is set at 50% transparency, which ultimately (for me at lease) is faster, and I can make the animation however many frames I want by skipping some of the smoke frames. I use the BMPs that Kinboat uses for his stuff, BTW...

14. polyphemus

i might have to try that. how do you set the storyboard to 50% transparency?

15. Hikaro Takayama

Actually, when I load the true color storyboard generated by SBB, I also load the apropriate smoke frame .bmp files. I then load the first frame, and choose the option "Paste as New Layer", then move it into position (you might have to use the eraser to delete some parts of the image that overlap what they shouldn't). Then go to the Layer menu, select change layer properties and select layer 2. Adjust the transparency slider to 50%, and close the menu. Now the smoke should kind of blend with the background. Now all you have to do is select "Paste as new selection" and paste for all directions of the first frame. Then switch to the next smoke frame BMP and repeat the Paste as new secetion and editing process until you're done.

16. polyphemus

if any one can help i would be gratefull

yes i just rotate the figure but i have many lasers to rotate also...oh got it, ill just parent the lasers to the figure. Thanks.

17. polyphemus

i need help animating the unit attached

i need help on making the wings moves in and out-attack and run animations.

i know it has something to do with the skeletons in the poser set up room but i just dont know how it works.

please help!!

Attached Files:

18. Plotinus

Plotinus Philosopher Administrator

If the model isn't posable at all, you need to make it posable in the Setup room. And yes, that means making a skeleton. You need to look at the chapter in the Poser manual on the Setup room and follow it carefully. It's rather pernickety but it's not actually as hard as you might think. I managed to make a posable prop of my own from scratch this way!

19. odintheking

odintheking Lighting the way...

Hey, polyphemus. The Eta-2 looks great! Nice to see you back, :).