1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

positive and negative effects of rivers

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Drahkkael, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Drahkkael

Drahkkael Chieftain

What are the negative effects of rivers that cracker's article talks about? I am a little unclear on this

2. Grille

Grille panel insect

Don't know the article in question I think, but I guess the negative effect stated is the movement penalty before engineering (edit: which means: crossing a river costs 1 movement point/edit...). That could be an issue if you e.g. need to move defenders around.

3. sennomulo

sennomulo Friendly

Also I suppose if your enemy had a river he could fortify troops on one side and they would have a defensive bonus, which would be negative for the player.

4. Whomp

Whomp Keep Calm and Carry On Retired Moderator

Cracker's article relates to the movement penalty of crossing a river. IE A worker or settler on a road will end their turn after they cross a river. The point is to develop the side of the river that will allow growth to occur the fastest.

The benefits of rivers are huge because you can grow to pop 12 without building a aqueduct and you get a commerce bonus.

5. bobgote

bobgote Trousers

there's also the flood plains causing disease thing.