[Possible Bug] Antarctic farms: You can build farms on snowy mountains

DaveGold

Emperor
You can't build farms on snow. You can build farms on snow covered mountains.

I made up a quick map in worldbuilder to test this, it does indeed look like you can build farms on snow hills but not on snow flatland. Save attached.

Attachments

• Snow Hill Farms.Civ5Save
    232.8 KB · Views: 174
Hill features are like forests, they totally undermine the type of land they're on. A snow hill is a hill, not snow.

My guess, they will patch this 'cause snow probably needed a special rule about overriding, although I must say getting farmed desert hills identical to plains or grass is equally weird to me.

@CopterGuy - Thanks for posting the save file. Confirmed that farms can be built on snow/hill but not on just snow. The documentation is unclear whether this is a bug. I'll move to the Confirmed Bugs forum just to bring it to someone's attention.

Moderator Action: Moved to Confirmed Bugs forum

The "Farm-bug" is still there in BNW. I found this thread via Search function so I don't now if there are newer threads on this topic.

The code for a Farm is :

Code:
<Row>
   <Type>IMPROVEMENT_FARM</Type>
   <Description>TXT_KEY_IMPROVEMENT_FARM</Description>
   <Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_CIV5_IMPROVEMENTS_FARM_TEXT</Civilopedia>
   <ArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_FARM</ArtDefineTag>
   [B]<FreshWaterMakesValid>true</FreshWaterMakesValid>[/B]
   <RequiresFlatlandsOrFreshWater>true</RequiresFlatlandsOrFreshWater>
   <PillageGold>18</PillageGold>
   <PortraitIndex>22</PortraitIndex>
   <IconAtlas>TERRAIN_ATLAS</IconAtlas>
</Row>
I checked in game that the FreshWaterMakesValid allows farms everywhere near river or lake, even on tundra and snow. (I think cities with fresh water may also count as source of fresh water to adjacent tiles.)
RequiresFlatlandsOrFreshWater allows farms on hills on valid terrain near fresh water.
Valid terrain is grasland, plains, desert and any tile near fresh water due to FreshWaterMakesValid.

A simple mod can fix it :

Code:
<GameData>		
	<Improvements>		
		<Update>			
			<Where Type="IMPROVEMENT_FARM"/>
			<Set FreshWaterMakesValid="false"/>
		</Update>		
	</Improvements>  
</GameData>

Top Bottom