1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Possible coup in Turkey

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by muhtesem insan, Jul 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

His understanding with generals involved arresting lots of them and later having to release them... His foreign policy is an ongoing disaster, and the "kurdish problem" is not any better now, it's been getting worse, though I don't dare try to guess the military's intentions regarding that.

2. Commodore

Commodore Deity

Any word on why the army carried out the coup? I mean, I know Erdogan is a terrible guy and all, but has there been any word from the army as to their official reason for doing this?

3. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Army coups in Turkey are not unusual. It is the issue of the so-called 'deep state', and perpetual conflict between kemalism and islamism.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Military_coups_in_Turkey

Coup attempts are even more numerous.

4. Algeroth

Algeroth 8 and 1/2

Well, I guess that it is a birthright of each generation to witness a Turkish coup. But information about first fight are starting to appar.

BTW, mods could you remove the "possible" part from the title? Coup is more than confirmed at this point

5. Commodore

Commodore Deity

Random thought: This makes me think that a game centered around being a military officer that has to plan and execute a coup might actually be a pretty fun game to play.

6. Kyriakos

Some news: the army has taken control of the military HQ (in Constantinople?). I suspect not without a fight. Supposedly a statement by the army is pending.

So, it begins.

7. muhtesem insan

muhtesem insan Amateur Revolutionary

For all asking i am at friends of home and safe, probably access to Twitter is blocked. Probably you could get better info than me. I

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-L29 using Tapatalk

8. Kyriakos

^You always post responsibly and in a friendly manner, muhtesem. Keep low for the time being. Unenviable situation, but it will pass for you..

9. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

Seems like a small portion of the police put up a fight against the military but no one else is bothering to fight for Erdogan's government.

We're going o have to wait for a clarification about the goals of the military. I expect all the turks are also now waiting to see. The regime was half-rotten already, they're calling for the population to take to the streets in Ankara, and that is a sign of desperation. I expect that it there are any reaction to support the (former?) government they won't happen tonight.

10. abradley

abradley Deity

Am surprised, didn't think the Generals were that strong.

Thought that with the Islamic control of education and media the Generals wouldn't have a chance, if they do?

Thinking back to a book about WW2 German Generals and their excuses for backing Hitler, the strongest in my opinion was (paraphrased): "All the men had been raised in the Hitler Youth, they were true believers." IMO the same can be said for the Turkish Army, the generals may stage a coup but will the mid level officers and enlisted follow?

11. Kyriakos

^Turkey is founded on the 1922 mythology they have and Kemal as a towering figure there, who while in Turkey supposedly is some patron saint founder of the new country, in reality was a mass-murdering psychopath. Still, he is seen as a symbol of what they view as 'secularism', and locked in endless war with the analogous Eurasia and Eastasia, ie islamic rule/parties.

It can only lead to the coups from time to time. But this one may be a lot more crucial, given we are in the information age now, not in 80s or early 90s, and all sorts of other crap have happened in the region...
    Could lead to civil war, actually.

12. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

Erdogan's party is not strong on the major cities, and that is a problem for them when things get so trained that they come to coups. IF he had left the military alone they probably wouldn't risk a coup. But he's been messing with them, arresting generals, and putting loyalists in the intelligence services. The idea may have been to prevent a coup. The end result was the opposite.

With the EU crumbling the last shield protecting Erdogan (a coup would rule out the project of Turkey entering the EU) was removed. Who wants to enter that club now anyway, members are already leaving.

And Erdogan was outside the country? If I was planning a coup I'd do it with him inside the country and the prime target... But this is good news, it means that the military carrying out this coup don't expect (or wish?) to have a real fight in their hands to prevail. Only a brief occupation of power and new elections?
    Hopefully there won't be too much bloodshed, whichever side wins. But there will be some "housecleaning" inside the military and against the intelligence agencies, I'm afraid.

13. plarq

plarq Crazy forever

Hi, is the Internet still ok in Turkey? Especially in Istanbul?

14. muhtesem insan

There is declaration in state tv from. military. There's curfew until a second order. It's a anti Erdoğan coup, which i was expecting. I am writing from phone so can't write in detail.
    On a personal note i had a job interview in Prague next week it's probably i won't be able to go there.

15. Kyriakos

16. muhtesem insan

Still ok i believe it's a attempt in progress. They couldn't get to it yet.

17. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity

There's now some women reading an official statement on TRT, but of course I don't speak any Turkish.

Program seems to have stopped unexpectedly now.

18. abradley

abradley Deity

Be careful about posting anything pro or anti, there will be people watching.

19. Commodore

Commodore Deity

Is there any opposition to the coup among the military?

20. muhtesem insan

it's official coup declaration from "Council of Peace at Home" it's a homage to Atatürks words "Peace at home, Peace in the World"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.