1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Possible female rulers for next expansion?

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Haig, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Haig

Haig Warlord

Firaxis' Anton Strenger said that they want to find interesting powerful female leaders for the game.

What choices do you think could be realistic for the next expasion?

I would think we get 2-3 civs that are lead by female ruler.

Guandao and TahamiTsunami like this.
  2. liv

liv Warlord

When did he say this?

3. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Warlord

If Austria returns I can see Maria Theresa coming back.
    The Maya have the best chance from the Americas with Lady Six Sky or a few others.
    For newcomers there is Queen Salamasina of Samoa or Idia of Benin, two Civs and leaders that would be interesting.
    And there is always the possibility that Queen Elizabeth can return.

Zaarin and TahamiTsunami like this.
  4. Haig

Haig Warlord

5. Naktis

Naktis Chieftain

Well Byzantines can get Theodora again.
    oh that infamouse Madagascar leader..forgot her name. The one that killed her people by some rituals or smth.
    France - Antoinette or Jean D'arc , but I expect theyre alt leader will be male.
    Eva Peron for Argentina
    Isabella for Spain , I think she has most chances from all.
    Catherine for Russia 2nd most possible after Isabella.

Guandao and TahamiTsunami like this.
  6. TahamiTsunami

TahamiTsunami Chieftain

@Naktis Ranavalona I is the one you're probably thinking of though it was through regular warfare and forced labor that many of her people died.

I'm sure this has been mentioned elsewhere, but some other great choices include Margaret I for Denmark, Jigonhsasee for the Iroqouis, and Ana Nzinga for Angola. It isn't too likely but if Syria became a Civ then Zenobia would definitely be the best choice to lead them. Another great female alt leader would be Mandukhai for Mongolia.

Zaarin and Guandao like this.
  7. Art Grin

Art Grin Chieftain

Zenobia for Palmyra could work.
    The Trung Sisters for Vietnam would be a good option.
    Maria Theresia, Isabella, Catherine, Dido and Theodora could make a comeback.

Zaarin likes this.
  8. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

Lady Six Sky, and Idia sound good. I don't know too much about Salamasina except that she was in a Civ5 mod (and I prefer the Maori as the Polynesian representative this time)

No Marie Antoinette/Jeanne d'Arc/Eva Peron please.....

I think a lot of the leaders you mentioned were in the books Rejected Princesses/Tough Mothers by Jason Porath (ex: Ranavalona I, Jigonhsasee, Ana Nzinga, Mandukhai). Tomyris was in one of the books, and the author did notice her inclusion in the Civ6 vanilla game. He has more possible female options on his website. Also a lot of them are good suggestions for Great People.

TahamiTsunami likes this.
  9. TahamiTsunami

TahamiTsunami Chieftain

Sounds fascinating, I'll be sure to check them out!

10. Patine

Patine Warlord

I really can't understand why such a large consensus says, "the Maoris must be THE Polynesian civ, and they are obviously the best choice, bar none." From the perspective of a long-term, large-scale civilization-building game like Civ6 (or any other iteration of the Civ franchise), they, and the Hawaiians, are among the weakest and poorest choices, actually. The Maoris (and Hawaiians) innovated very little that is commonly viewed and seen as iconically "Polynesian" - they just carried, cribbed, or had dictated to them these things by the older Polynesian cultures whose origin was closer to the Lapita Culture who DID innovate and develop these things - the Tongans, Tahitians, and Samoans.

Meluhhan and TahamiTsunami like this.
  11. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

I don't know why people think that way. Do the Tongans, Tahitians, and Samoans have iconic or interesting leaders?

12. Patine

Patine Warlord

The Tongans have several. The Tahitians have at least one (who is female). And, they're source of innovation of iconic Polynesian cultural and technological aspects gives them a definite edge for priority in a CIV-style game, properly speaking, if one is viewing things as building a civilization over the scope of history on a global map, as opposed to, say, a direct military strategy game within a closed and defined geographical and temporal theatre of affairs (like the Total War games, of which I am not personally a fan, but they make a good example).

Meluhhan and TahamiTsunami like this.
  13. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

I really, really hope that the Byzantines get a Komnenid this time. I'll even take Anna if it means retiring Justinian and Theodora for one iteration.

Only if they're trying to make a worse choice than CdM. :lol: Will Marie Antoinette be depicted before or after she was guillotined? Will she wear the infamous diamond necklace? Will she make flippant comments about eating brioche? :mischief:

Or Sorghaghtani Beki.

14. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Warlord

Louis XIV all the way. Jean D'arc is fine as a general and Marie Antoinette would cause loyalty issues. :mischief:
    I'd rather her mother return for Austria and I could see Marie Antoinette, and her siblings making an appearance, which would sends them off with a delegation or assembly for more diplomatic visibility on that Civ, as a unique ability for Maria Theresa.
    Eva Peron would be okay if we got Argentina and I can't believe I forgot to mention her.

TahamiTsunami and Zaarin like this.
  15. Patine

Patine Warlord

Not Eva Peron, or her husband! Please, stop with the Perons! If you want good Argentinian leaders of any sort, Juan de San Martin or Hippolyto Yrugelon would be FAR superior choices to "the Capitan and Capitana of the Sinking Ship."

16. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Ideally Argentina never gets added and therefore to Evita or not to Evita never comes up. :p

17. TahamiTsunami

TahamiTsunami Chieftain

I'd have no complaints with her either! Can you imagine some of the outrage that some players might have if either of them came up as the Mongolian leader first instead of Genghis!?

As with all things in Civ, I think it has to do with the Maori and Hawaiians probably being the groups that most people know of and having 2 well-known leaders in Kamehameha and Hongi Hika. I'm certain a bit guilty of those thoughts as well since I'm fairly familiar with Hawaii and who wouldn't want to have Maori warriors as a unique UU!? I certain wouldn't be opposed to seeing those other groups you mentioned though. I'm of the opinion that, if we get 2 Polynesian civs and 1 of them is the Maori, then Samoa with Salamasina would be the best choice to include with them as a contrast. I can also see the appeal of, if there's only 1 Polynesian civ, adding the Tonga. I don't think they had any female leaders but some of their leaders sound cool and they have the potential to have an awesome UU that could rival the appeal of the Maori warriors.

Zaarin likes this.
  18. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Unintentionally a feminist.

Possible female leaders... isn't there a topic for this already...

but okay *cracks knuckles* challenge accepted *stretches fingers*

Argentina - Eva Peron
    Ashanti - Yaa Assantewaa
    Assyria - Shammurammat/Semiramis
    Berbers - Dihya
    Byzantium - Irene of Athens
    Carthage - Dido/Elissa
    Denmark - Margarete I
    Ethiopia - Taytu Betul
    Haiti - Anacona
    Hausa - Amina
    Hittites - PuduHepa
    Iroquois - Jigonsahsee
    Madagascar - Ranavalona I
    Maori - Te Puea Herangi
    Maya - Lady Six Sky
    Morocco - Sayyida Al-Hurrah
    Mossi - Yennega
    Palmyra/Syria - Zenobia
    Vietnam - Trung Trac
    Yoruba - Moremi Ajasoro

*New Alt Leaders for countries with male leaders:

Arabia - Shajar Al-Durr
    England - Aethelflaed
    India - Indira Gandhi
    Japan - Himiko, Masako Hojo, Suiko
    Kongo - Nzinga Mbande
    Mongolia - Mandukhai
    Rome - Livia Augusta

I'm sure there is more... but they can start by researching all of the above ^__^

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  19. acluewithout

acluewithout Warlord

20. TahamiTsunami

TahamiTsunami Chieftain

Yeah, I'm 100% positive that there's at least a couple topics about this already. I understand the need for refreshers once in a while though hopefully it doesn't get out of hand.

I'm ready to welcome her back!

Zaarin and acluewithout like this.