• OrcNES (working title)

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Beyond Blackgate

Votes: 5 29.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nutranurse

Unlikeliest of Slash Fics
So I have detailed the vague mechanics/ideas behind my three possiblNES' in the New Ideas thread and now figure it's time for people to vote. Be forewarned, I have an inclination to one of the three, but I find the other two equally good ideas and probably will run each one at some point.

~Aros Fallen~
This is to be a spiritual successor to the last NutraNES, drawing from the lore, advancing that story to a certain point, but ultimately abandoning the nessos-style and favoring something more akin to fulton's Varica in that players will heavily rely on their vassal clans. I've detailed more on this NES here, here, and here.

To sum it all up this NES is all about the player pandering to the lesser bloodlines they attract in order to complete whatever they might wish. People, not gold, is the currency of this NES, but they are far from expendable.

~OrcNES~ (Working title)
Players play the bad guys (yet to be determined if that means orcs/trolls/barbarians/some awesome new and terrible race) who move under the direction of their Queen and the Prophet. They are warlords of the yet-to-be-determined race and their goal is to conquer as much land/amass enough wealth/gain enough loyal followers to set themselves up as virtual god-kings of some terrible new kingdom. Detailed here, and here.

To sum it all up this NES will be a fairly strategic one on a board game-esque map where players move their armies to capture cities. Players receive missions from the Queen & Prophet and gain bonuses in the form of troops and monetary support for completing them, but ultimately players who decide to expand rapid will butt heads with their Queen. The game's not all about war, however. Each city/settlement you capture is important and has a certain amount of slots to hold buildings of various kinds. I'll be borrowing the building slot mechanic from the next NE to represent this.

~Beyond Blackgate~
Borrowed, in part, from Fulton's border kings idea, but changed into something more colonial. Players play interested parties of a world-wide empire that is expanding onto a different planet for the firs time (the moon, called Blackgate, has been colonized thoroughly). It is a slightly more economic and intrigue based game where players compete for the favor of certain factions all the while amassing wealth for themselves. Detailed here, here, here, and here

Well it's not 'Prestige' exactly, that has too many connotations of honor and such. Perhaps 'Perceived Worth' would be better? Divorces it from the economic aspect thrown in by 'Wealth'.

Edit:

Or 'Perceived Usefulness'? That's what I'm trying to get at--how other factions/people view you as a means to their own ends.

I agree that 'Prestige' is probably not what you are going for. Perhaps 'Reputation'? And that wouldn't be based on 'good' or 'bad' because if you are a ruthless slave-owner, you might have a 'bad' reputation, but still be considered useful to some, and thus have higher points in this category. I don't know. Honestly, 'Perceived Wealth' seems an adequate descriptor to me.

Reputation's off mark too and is dealt with via the various 'Faction Favor'. I think I'll change it to 'Perceived Worth' or something along those lines.

EDIT:

Also is there any way to edit a poll? I want to allow players to vote twice.

Is that even possible? Except by letting them vote for several (i.e. all) options and asking them not to vote for more than two.

I'm obvious biased in favour of Aros, then OrcNES, though I'd play the colony game as well if it's what you end up going with (that said, I see the Aros lobby has already shown itself ;) ).

Yeah, it's possible to let players vote more than once. I wanted to do that so the totals would come faster/players could express which two they would play in rather than which one. Letting them have only one option kind of pigeonholes them into deciding and I want to attract as many players as possible! So now I either let the poll be or I start anew. Thoughts?

In my personal opinion, you should just decide upon the one you think that you would have the most fun with now :p.

But they're all so interesting :C

Go with the one you think will last the longest. If you think all of them are equal in that regard, then this poll is not useless. :) I'm curious to know which one you are leaning towards, as you mentioned before.

Well I'm inclined towards OrcNES, as I've started before :D

I've decided on OrcNES. Now I know this will upset a few players (Masada, Kentharu, I'm looking at you) and let me explain why:

OrcNES is the simplest NES of the bunch and the one that requires less tinkering/refining. I will get to the other two ideas (I'm refining Aros Fallen in my spare time) at some point. Most likely after OrcNES is aborted after turn 3.

Expect the thread soon and I hope disappointed players will still play!

edit:

Spoiler And here's a preview... :

Hardly disappointing for me personally.

That huge inland sea looks awfully silly to me for some reason though. :p

Map looks good, nutra, and I like the silly inland sea (might serve a strategic purpose in this kind of NES). A scale would be nice, though. I won't be joining this one, not because of the idea but because it seems more difficult for me to get a late start. Either way, I'll be lurking.

I just have to wonder about the salinity of that sea and other geographic trivia like that. The ecology, say.

It's like a large baltic sea (it does run into the ocean in my most recent version of the map, though). There is a lot of freshwater running into it from the east/northeast/northwest, and the further east a ship sails the more the salinity decreases. Those two western bays are more or less freshwater and freshwater species can live comfortably in them. I don't profess to be an ecologist/w.e so feel free to correct me where I may be wrong.

It's like a large baltic sea (it does run into the ocean in my most recent version of the map, though). There is a lot of freshwater running into it from the east/northeast/northwest, and the further east a ship sails the more the salinity decreases. Those two western bays are more or less freshwater and freshwater species can live comfortably in them. I don't profess to be an ecologist/w.e so feel free to correct me where I may be wrong.

Boy is it contaminated then.

I thought the baltic sea towards the northern parts around finland were less saline?

Top Bottom