1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Post-patch freeze-ups

Discussion in 'Other Sid Meier Games' started by LintMan, Nov 13, 2006.

1. LintMan

LintMan Chieftain

After installing the patch, I've noticed that the game takes longer and longer to add or delete tracks as the game goes on and the track system gets more complex. ie: When I lay down a section of track, everything just freezes for 30+ seconds before starting up again.

In my current game (Northeast US), I'm in the 1920's or so and have most of the map connected with multiple tracks and crossovers between them. The many trains run smoothly and there are no performance problems, until I try to lay some track (especially double track) or delete some track. Then it freezes for a minimum of 30 seconds, and often for over a minute. Then the track is actually added/deleted and the game progresses. Fortunately that map is all but won, because it is nearly unplayable now. (Note: exiting/reloading the game doesn't fix the problem)

My computer isn't the latest, but it meets/exceeds the recommended system specs:
    Athlon 64 3800+
    1GB RAM
    Nvidia 6800 video 256MB RAM (latest drivers installed)

Is anyone else seeing this problem?

2. Krupo

Krupo Old-time newsgrouper

Yeah, when you buy out your competitors, liquidate them to improve performance. ;)

Although that works, more seriously you want to double your RAM - that should help greatly. I have a system with a dual core processor and 2 gigs of ram and although there's a small pause (say, 1 to 4 seconds), it's still v. playable.

A newer video card wouldn't hurt either - but the extra gig of ram, I'm guessing, will probably do the most good if you can swing it.

3. FredK

FredK Chieftain

Krupo, thanks for the info as I too only have the 528ram and it will still freeze up and once in a while crash.

Another question:

As I was playing the midwest game I would see cars loaded with steel headed for Chicago yet none ever counted? This happen with your setup?

4. rupertlittlebea

rupertlittlebea Prince

Ouch
    that's almost at the exact limit
    where windows XP just barely runs.
    (Yes, they claim otherwise)

You really need more ram.

5. Krupo

Krupo Old-time newsgrouper

Yeah, FredK, as mean as it is, I'm afraid we can't help with bugs around here until you get your system up to spec because that can easily be one of the reasons for trouble.

Having said that, I haven't experiences such a bug, but it's entirely possible that it exists.

6. Reignking

Reignking Prince

True, he could use more RAM, but don't make other things up to support it.