Post patch -which CIV/Leader is best now?

TM Moot

King
Morning all :)

Pre-patch China seemed the unofficial top civ, although my personal choice was Greece. Now with horse units nerfed, and maritime city states providing less bonus, I guess i'll need a new favourite.

I haven't read ALL the patch notes (500MB?!?), but i know there are some significant changes.

I haven't had the chance to play ciV post-patch either, so I was wondering which civilization is best now???? :confused:

I'm a fan of Russia, Rome, and Egypt. Spain's UA can be horrifically powerful if you manage to scout quickly enough, and secure some wonders into your borders. Even just the cash surge can tip the scales early. Songhai still has a serious early game bonus with Honor and their UA. Late game, France gets Mech Infantry that get a bonus when in someone else's territory...

Lots of choices, so I'd say it really depends on playstyle. Me, I prefer a small empire, so tend to go for India or Babylon frequently. I get grumpy when I have to patrol a bunch of puppets.

I d say rome is at least top tier. Thats because since liberty is now very nerfed the choise is between the tradition and the honor tree. If you go for the honor tree you will eventually end up with a superzise capital with very high production speed. therefore you will easely be able to build all important buildings first in the capital and in the end have a very good bonus from the +productions for buildings existing in the capital.

Don't overlook Persia.

Cheaper golden ages=more golden ages.
Improved piety=more happiness (more golden ages).

My Persian game I got Chichen Itza, Taj Mahal, some great people, and popped a couple golden ages from happiness. I ended up spending 200 of the final 250 turns of the game in a golden age.

I think China, France, Siam, and India are at the top. I don't have enough playtime with the new patch to choose between them.

In vanilla, definately siam. Unlike france's starting culture, you can delay bribing culture city states until you are in the classical era. Additionally, ghandi is pretty awesome.

Siam

Everyone else. Speculative list below:
Tier 2: India (moved up), Babylon (moved down)
Tier 3: Songhai (up), France (down), Rome (up), China (down)
Tier 4: Greece (down), Egypt, Arabia
Tier 5: Russia (up), Iroquois, Inca
Tier 6: Persia, Aztec
Tier 7: Mongolia (down), England, America, Japan
Tier 8: Germany, Ottomans

Tier anywhere between 2 through 8 based on luck: Spain
In any game any of these civs could be higher or lower depending on geography.

Top Bottom