1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Post short tips here!

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Pragmatic, Nov 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taxi Driver

Taxi Driver Chieftain

Oops. I guess I should have been more specific. What I ended up saying was definitely wrong!

This is more like what I should have said:

If you are building a road from one point to another with a set of already stacked workers, it is marginally more efficient to never move ahead of the closest tile in which a road still needs to be built. On grasslands, at least, the workers will finish the total job on the same turn and will be in the same positions, but the stacked method causes most of the roads to be built sooner, thereby gaining their bonuses sooner.

Of course, it's not highly likely that you're building a point-to-point road on tiles that need improving and are being worked.

However, if you have other units following the workers along the road they're building, they will get where they're going quicker if you finish the road one tile at a time.

Additionally, if some emergency arises which requires you to retreat your workers, keeping them as stacked as is necessary to complete the road one tile at a time will allow you to retreat them faster and may save some of them from being destroyed.

However, for building improvements around a point (city) instead of from point-to-point, the single-worker-per-tile method is typically faster (by an average of 33%) and at least 10% more efficient (in terms of improvement-benefit-turns).

Anyway sorry about the mix-up, I just wasn't thinking while I typed that post too fast.

PS.. What about my other tips? Besides most of them being pretty obvious.. Are others of them wrong? Or are you just trying to be coy in telling me they're lame?? :p

2. steven_pelton

steven_pelton Chieftain

I have experianced resoures running dry if you dont use them within a certain time

3. nickmandler

nickmandler L'utilisateur du site web

My favorite (and most succesful) strategy is to spread like the plague, attacking everybody that prevents my expansion.

4. Cartouche Bee

Cartouche Bee Appropriations Consultant

Not coy, I have feelings for workers. :)

I just didn't want to say anything for or against the other tips.

5. tomart109

tomart109 Perspicacious

The only exception being if the city is on a hill. :(

Somehow they can't pipe the water up to a town on top and down the other side.

Once i needed irrigation desperately on one side of a chain of hills and mountains, so i irrigated to a town that could have piped it across, but it couldn't.:cry:

6. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Deity

More comments on point-to-point road building...

When roading across flat land, the maximum useful number of workers is 6. Any more will just pile up at the front of the road. 12 for forest/hills and 18 for jungle/mountains.

Very early in the game when workers are limited, there is another way to connect 2 points.

P--1--2--3--4--5--6--7--8--9--P

Worker 1: move to square 7 (7 turns), road squares 8, 9 (8 turns)
    Worker 2: move to square 4 (4 turns), road squares 5, 6, 7 (12 turns)
    Worker 3: road squares 1, 2, 3, 4 (16 turns)

You save 2 turns compared to moving a stack of 3 workers.

7. nickmandler

Just wondering... Has anyone actually read all of these tips? It's great to have so many, but it seems that we like to give advice more than to take it.

8. Taxi Driver

Taxi Driver Chieftain

I've read all the tips. Many of them are quite useful.. I actually copied my favorites in a text file after I got done crying about navigating through 24 pages of thread.

A tip I just noticed:

The Shift-U upgrade command will even upgrade units that have already used their turn! Just select another unit of the same type which has not used its turn and do the command. I don't know if it has to be in a city, but it definitely does NOT have to be in a city where it can be upgraded.

Of course, this is absolutely marginal unless your cities are under attack.

9. nickmandler

Wow... I don't have that kind of time.

10. Shillen

Shillen Deity

I might have just misunderstood you, but the unit does have to be in a city with a barracks or harbor, depending on if it's a ship or land unit. But yes the unit could have already used its turn and still be upgraded.

edit: Oh yeah airports for planes too but you get the picture.

11. Taxi Driver

Taxi Driver Chieftain

Sorry, you misunderstood. Let me clarify.

A unit needs to be in a city with its appropriate improvement type (barracks, harbor, airport) in order to be upgraded. Upgrading the unit normally expends its turn. However, any unit which is in a city where it can upgrade, but which has already moved (i.e. the unit used its turn moving into the city) can *still* upgrade despite that its turn is gone.

What you do is find another unit of the same type.. THIS unit does not have to be in a city where it can upgrade, but it *might* have to be in *some* city to work (possibly even a city with a barracks). Click on the unit.. Shift-U.. this brings up the dialog to upgrade all units of the same type. The command will look in every city for units and check whether they can be upgraded there.. but for some reason it doesn't check whether they've used their turn, and it will upgrade them all even if they have.

Anyway, like I say, this is absolutely marginal unless your cities are under attack and you need the upgrades right away. (The fact that upgrading heals your units may also help considerably.)

Another tip:

Only elite units will have their status lowered by a unit upgrade.

12. Taxi Driver

Taxi Driver Chieftain

WOOT! I discovered this a long time ago, and just reconfirmed it last night.. this *instantly* ranks as my favorite tip!!

Note: this may only work in 1.21... I'm not able to test it in 1.29 or PTW.

A unit which has already produced a Great Leader can upgrade at a barracks, re-earn its elite status in combat, and produce ANOTHER great leader!!

13. billindenver

billindenver King

Yep, that works in 1.29.

If it's at the end of it's upgrade path though (like Cavalry) save those elites and put them all together in an army. Elite cavalry that have produced GL's can't be upgraded and can't produce a GL. Armies can't produce GL's either. Therefore it's a waste to put elites that can be upgraded, elites that have produced GL's, or less than elite units in a army. If you put 3 veteran horsemen in an Army, that might be 9 different opportunities for GL's you miss (GL as horsemen, GL as Knight, GL as Cavalry). Hey, it's not likely, but it's possible!

14. Bose

Bose Antipodean

When having some mid-game milk, take a small sip first to make sure it's not off. I just learnt this the hard way.

15. Knossos

Knossos Chieftain

Not sure if anyone has already put this but anyway:
    Ok heres the screnario:
    -You're playing on a world with loads of islands
    -Another civ starts on your island (damn them civs!)
    -You want him off so try to rush him with warriors from the word go but just as you are about to attack he builds a spearman
    -warrior vs spearman = no no
    -but...heres what i do, declare war and fortify your warrior on a mountain either next to or very close to the civs city

they won't be able to kill it as they won't have powerful attacking units at the start

their worker will run into the city so they won't be able to improve their land

and they will concentrate on military units until you make a peace treaty (which you don't do)

just keep building up your forces, try to get a spearman or 2 on that mountain then just make a small defense in your city and carry on building as you normally would do, they won't build another city and you'll just get stronger and stronger!! simple

16. Lucy

Lucy Chieftain

I didn't read them all, so I am not sure if this was mentioned but I find lowering your per turn income (putting it into research) before negotiations and not having too much cash reduces other leaders demands when you ask what they want for something like an advancement.

17. schadenfreude

schadenfreude Chieftain

Down load the tech calculator. I don't know if it is perfect, but it is very helpful in giving a rough indication of which techs are cheap and which are pricey on the same column. If you are aiming for 40 turn research with an expansionist civ, aim for a cheap tech. It will be easier to trade for. Or if not expansionist, aim for an expensive second row tech. (Attempt to) hang onto it until you know at least two other civs. For a long time I knew alphabet was more valuable than cerimonial burial, but now I know how much more valuable. No wonder Elizabeth won't trade it to me...

18. al_thor

al_thor Prince

I will often give a resource like Iron or Saltpeter to a weak civ in order for him to defend himself against my main rival. Fairly often, the game will make one source of my Iron or Gunpowder run out just 5 turns after my trade began, leaving me with no resource. To counter this, I destroy the road to the resource and rebuild it 1 or 2 turns later - problem solved!

19. billindenver

billindenver King

You realize the AI will be less willing to trade with you in the future if you do that.

20. Uncle Dynamite

Uncle Dynamite Chieftain

When you can, pop goodie huts by building a city in a tile adjacent to them. The city boarders will expand to encompass the hut, and it pops automatically. The advantage is that this technique will never spawn barbarians from the huts! Never, even on higher levels. Obviously, this is useful when you want to maximize the goodies you get.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.