Post your crazy starts - If ever a start called for Temple of Artemis, this is it!

Kevin J

Hewer of Wood
While waiting for GS, and after reading the thread on the Cree, I decided to play a a game as Poundmaker.

Lo and behold, look at the start:
upload_2019-2-13_8-49-18.png

That's right, 7 camp resources (4 truffles, 3 deer), 3 pasture resources, and 3 plantation resources all within the city start - not to mention the 3 stone. And that's before exploring - there is actually another truffle 3 tiles SE, for 8 camp resources, and a marsh rice 2 tiles SE.

Add it all together, that's +13-14 amenities from ToA, just within the capital.

So, in the vein of keeping ourselves busy while waiting for GS, does anyone else have any crazy starts to share?

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-13_8-48-39.png
    upload_2019-2-13_8-48-39.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 166
Last edited:
If anyone is interested in playing this start, save is attached. It would also be a crazy Great Zimbabwe site with all those bonus resources and cattle in range (although you probably just want to send your trade routes here from all your other cities instead, to take advantage of Poundmaker's ability).

Map settings:
Inland Sea
Abundant Resources
Legendary Start
All DLC
Large Map
Marathon
Emperor

3 fewer civs than standard, max city states
Mods: Take your time x 3 (increases culture & science costs x 3)

Attachments

• POUNDMAKER 1 4000 BC.Civ6Save
    598 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Love that start, almost tempted to play that one, though in my Indonesia game right now.

Yeah, but I feel it's going to be too easy - I wanted a casual game, so it's on Emperor, but with this start that will be easy.

On the other hand, it would be an easy map for players used to easier difficulties - it's marathon, and with the x3 culture/science costs, Cree's unique scouts will be useful a *long* time. Inland sea also has more goodie huts than any other map, because it has the most land tiles (but also, the most barbarians).

I have a feeling most people would find the pace of the game too slow, however - and there will be no real challenge, just a sandbox kind of game. Marathon is already 3x slower than standard, and the mod makes science/culture 3x slower again, so it takes 9x as long for any research.

I mean, not only do you have all those resources, but you also have forests/stone to chop out. And yeah, as mentioned, it also means that every internal trade route of yours has +10 food (and +10 gold).

Giant TSL Terra map, 21 civs, 37 CS, Emperor level, marathon pace.

My favourite (minimum) type of setup. 5 in the Americas, 5 in Asia, 5 in Africa, 5 in Europe.

Cree, USA, Aztecs, Brazil, Mapuche.
Egypt, Nubia, Kongo, Sumeria, Zulus.
Scotland, Poland, Spain, Rome, Georgia
China, Korea, Japan, India, Scythia.

Here I'm playing as Australia, but I often swap Australia's starting position with some other civ, e.g. Russia starts in Australia, Australia starts in Russia.
illtakeit.jpg

If anyone is interested in playing this start, save is attached. It would also be a crazy Great Zimbabwe site with all those bonus resources and cattle in range (although you probably just want to send your trade routes here from all your other cities instead, to take advantage of Poundmaker's ability).

Map settings:
Inland Sea
Abundant Resources
Legendary Start
All DLC
Large Map
Marathon
Emperor

3 fewer civs than standard, max city states
Mods: Take your time x 3 (increases culture & science costs x 3)

Unfortunately, I find that Take your time really screws with the Era mechanic. Oftentimes I'm in the information age, whilst tech and civic are all still in industrial, for all civs involved. Does your marathon speed counter this?

Unfortunately, I find that Take your time really screws with the Era mechanic. Oftentimes I'm in the information age, whilst tech and civic are all still in industrial, for all civs involved. Does your marathon speed counter this?

I can make Take Your Time x 1.5 match up with the eras, but that's about it.

Is there a quicker production mod that I can combine with a slower game speed? That might work.

While waiting for GS, and after reading the thread on the Cree, I decided to play a a game as Poundmaker.

Lo and behold, look at the start: View attachment 517531

That's right, 7 camp resources (4 truffles, 3 deer), 3 pasture resources, and 3 plantation resources all within the city start - not to mention the 3 stone. And that's before exploring - there is actually another truffle 3 tiles SE, for 8 camp resources, and a marsh rice 2 tiles SE.

Add it all together, that's +13-14 amenities from ToA, just within the capital.

So, in the vein of keeping ourselves busy while waiting for GS, does anyone else have any crazy starts to share?
Big Temple of Artemis City is one of my favorite things in the game--I guess it's what "Petra City" is for most people, haha.

Awesome! I got once 9 Ammenities from Temple of Artemis and it was just great. All my cities were permanently ecstatic.

I can make Take Your Time x 1.5 match up with the eras, but that's about it.

Is there a quicker production mod that I can combine with a slower game speed? That might work.

I hate the way things scale with game speed choices in this game. Eras scale just the number of turns, but not the cap we need for normal and golden eras. Science and Culture scale too few, and Production and Food scale too much. Gotta get some mods for that.

Map settings:
Abundant Resources
Legendary Start
So is the screenshot surprising even for this setup? I've never tried either of these choices, but this type of start is exactly what I would expect...

Top Bottom