Postal Service (giving "Stagecoach" a meaning) [ACCEPTED]

Does "Postal Service" sound like a fun feature?

• Total voters

raystuttgart

Civ4Col Modder
Hi guys,

I have always felt that the Unit Stagecoach had no real purpose in the game. :dunno:
With this concept I would like to change this and give it a gampelay mechanic: "Poastal Service"

Spoiler :

Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG

-----

Comments on current gameplay value of Stagecoach:
Spoiler :

I basically never use or even build it, because the only thing it can do that most other Land Transports can not is transport a Colonist.
But since it is so easy to have such Units walk by foot or get transported in Ships it simply is not worth the expenses.

The Unit was basically just added in TAC because it was created by a team member and the graphic looked so cool.
There was nothing that could speak against adding the Unit, but it also did not really add a lot of gameplay value.

-----

So how do we change this now and make the Unit a bit more fun. :think:
Ahh I have an idea ... ;)

-----

Gameplay Concept:

1) From time to time (depending on the size of a City) a City will generate an immobile Unit "Mail" (basically a small package)
2) That Unit "Mail" will have a "Destination City" (another City in your Colonial Empire) that it needs to be delivered to. see A)
3) You can now pick up that Unit "Mail" by the Stagecoach and transport it to the "Destination City". see B)
4) Once the Unit "Mail" has arrived in the "Destination City" a Button will get active / visible when selected: "Deliver Mail".
5) By delivering the Mail to the City, one of several small events may happen. see C)

--------

Further Details:
Spoiler :

A) Comment on UI:
The Destination will be visible if you "Mouse-Over" or select the Unit "Mail".

B) Comment on Transportation:
If the "Destination City" is on another Continent, you may have to unload the "Mail" in a Port and then transport it e.g. by Ship.
But on Land, since it is a Unit and not Goods, the only other Unit that may transport it is the Stagecoach.

C) Possible Events:

1) Founding Father Points given
2) small amount of Gold generated
3) City Growth happening
4) Construction finished
5) Immigration in Europe triggered

D) Comment on balancing:

Like always, all the balancing settings will be available in XML.
(e.g. balancing variables for spawning and balancing variables for rewards)

Since one of the main factors for generating Unit Mail will be "City Population", this is more of a "midgame feature".
(In early game there will simply not be many big cities to generate Mail regularly. Most likely I will even implement a "min population".)

Also, this will also only trigger if you have more than 1 City. If the City that the Mail is supposed to be delivered is lost, simply delete the Mail.
(Having something like "postal service" with other European Colonies would make the feature too complex.)

E) Comment on AI:

It is of course possible to implement AI logic for this.
The Unit AI would not be much more difficult than e.g. for Whaling.

More tricky is to tell AI how many Stagecoaches it should have.
(But maybe it is sufficient to have it build a single one in midgame.)

F) Comment on effort:

The effort to implement this is about one weekend of modding. (12h)
It is not that much and considering the fun I think it is worth it for me.

G) Comment on deactivation:

For players that do not like that feature I will add a setting in GlobalDefines.xml.
It will basically completely deactivate the generation of Unit Mail, defacto deactivating the feature.
(In AI logic the setting would also be checked so AI would also not build Stagecoaches.)

---------

Summary:

It is kind of a small "mini-game" that incentivises to create a small "postal service" and some road network.
It is not intended to be a major strategic feature, more of a little diversion for a bit of immersion.
Also it is more of a "midgame" to "endgame" feature. (see comment on "min population" for cities.)

---------

Looking forward to feedback. :)

Last edited:
generating "mail" from nothing sounds bad. is it possible to place another building on the colony screen - the Postal Service? the construction of a building can also be tied to the minimum population in the colony, and the generation of the Mail unit can be tied to the presence of a building in the colony.
but if it is very difficult, then just generating a unit is also acceptable for me.

Hi Folks. I like this idea. It is anoher small feature for having fun.

Regarding Mr. Zorgs argument: Could the base camp / townhall etc. be used as a building for this postal service event? The bulding needs a few more possible applications - in regard of its meaning for a city. This one could be one of it.

Is it possible to place another building on the colony screen - the Postal Service?
Sure, I can add a new small Building to the City "Postal Service" that is required for "Mail" to be generated.
(It would then basically replace the "min population" condition the "Mail Generation" logic checks.)
the construction of a building can also be tied to the minimum population
Nah, I would rather simply use other buildings as construction requirements then.
(It is easier, self explaining and would work good enough. e.g. to have at least a "Stable" and a "City Hall".)

Also another idea then:
The Stagecoach will then require the "Postal Service" to be built.
(It would also make this feature easier to use for AI - since it would not build Stagecoaches without Postal Services.)

------

Hi Folks. I like this idea. It is anoher small feature for having fun.
Nice to see you back in the forum. :)
Great that you like it this feature.

-------

Summary:
I will try to find a suitable building for a "Postal Service". :thumbsup:
(Using the Building is more immersive and also gives the Player more control over the feature.)

Last edited:
I remember, that there is this building for roads to be required. I can't remember the name currently...hm, need to install the game asap...this one might fit for that event.

For this feature I would need to find or create 2 graphics:

Unit "Mail":
Bacially a small pile of Letters or Packages (similar to the graphics of Goods)
Building "Postal Service": Maybe a combination of Colonial Building having a Stagecoach in front of it

All support with the graphics would be highly appreciated. :help:
(Then I can use that time for other stuff that is already in my todo list.)

Last edited:
Perhaps as an event effect or as a standard effect in addition to the event, would it be logical to add a culture bonus to the city (lump sum or a bonus for x turns)?
As a game concept, it would reflect that culture is spread through the 'mail' (news/pamphlets*), as it is a form of contact with others from the same culture. A possible condition could be that the starting city has a higher culture than the target city. Or that the starting city has a printing press (etc.). The use in the stagecoach would be that it boosts starting cities.

* A variant could be that it boosts liberty bells instead.

Top Bottom