1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Potential products someone should make

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Timsup2nothin, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

It works on both mobile and landline

2. CKS

CKS Deity

Not real phones, though, only VoIP.

3. tjs282

tjs282 Socially distancing since 1975

Tim did specify 'human caller' ;)

rah likes this.
  4. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

They're onto something like that, just more subtile.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/427091/phone-call-line-noise-could-expose-thieves/

5. civvver

civvver Deity

I always thought someone should make baby carriers with wheels and handles that pop out like luggage so you can just wheel them around without having to pack an additional stroller or something for them to snap into.

6. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

By "baby carriers" I take it you mean the things I called "car seats"? If so, having done my time with car seats I think the problem there is that getting them unstrapped out of the car and subsequently strapped back in is a major pain in the butt, and could never be done (in my experience) with the kid actually in the seat. It certainly is an attractive idea though.

7. Samson

Samson Deity

Just about everyone I know who has a kid has some variation of that, something like

People do not put them in with the kid, but the bit the kid sits in is the same. Saves having to have 2 things.

8. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

My experience makes me wonder. I would pull the stroller thing out of the trunk, pull the kid out of the carseat and load them in the stroller, and away we go. If I had to pull the kid out of the carseat, then pull the carseat out and turn it into a stroller, what do I do with the kid?

9. Samson

Samson Deity

I see the issue, and I cannot comment on what they do when it is only them. The motivation is probably more about space in the car, as for most people on this side of the pond once you have both a stroller and a car seat you do not have much room for anything else.

10. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

I can certainly sympathize with that. At one point I had a three seat stroller. I seriously considered just putting an engine on that and a platform on the back so I could ride it like a dogsled rather than trying to stuff it into the car.

Lexicus likes this.
  11. rah

rah Deity Supporter

The secret is that the carryall is it's own module and is separate from the base that stays in the car attached, and is just then attached to the stroller shell.
    This way the baby does not have to be moved from the carryall.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  12. Farm Boy

Farm Boy You gave me my own tail?

They're slick. Five point racing harness puts baby in the thing, it has a shade that can be folded out and a handle to carry it around by, handle doubles as the top of the bubble pod or whatever in case it's dropped so it rolls and skids and keeps racing harnessed bebe away from the ground. Snaps into base which is strapped into car. Snaps into stroller. I think a read a news article about a poor soul that forgot her baby in the pod on the top of the car and took off driving, thing slid off during a turn at an intersection, rest of the traffic stopped, retrieved pod, bebe fine.

rah likes this.
  13. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

I like this concept, but doesn't it eliminate the hypothetical advantage of not having a stroller taking up space in the trunk? Though I suppose without the actual "seat module" it would take up a lot less space at least.

14. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

From the WP today: https://www.washingtonpost.com/tech...?utm_term=.45987b46acd0&wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1

There is more, so let me know if it's behind a paywall.

15. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

Funny they mention revenge. I have given serious thought to building a circuit that would pump deafening feedback into the phone and seeing how long it takes for the bleeding ears in their boiler room phone centers forced the robocallers to blacklist my number.

16. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

Someone should make a cordless jump-rope.

17. Bamspeedy

Bamspeedy We'll dig up the road!

They have been around for almost 10 years now (at least).

I'd like to see underwater cameras (tethered to a buoy that collects solar power to power it) and sends the images via satellite and accepts commands so you explore waters from your computer at home.

Too bad 'deep sea' exploring uses too much power, otherwise imagine having 100 (or more) of them looking for mh370.

And of course the legal issues of people using them inappropriately.....(spying, getting too close to ships, etc.)

18. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Hitch it to the nearest fence, tree, etc.

I have to wonder how I ever survived. Back in the '60s, once I was able to walk, my mother would not let me sit in a stroller. There were no fancy car seats back then, and definitely no "strollers" that are the size of a friggin' shopping cart. Those things take up a hell of a lot of room on a regular transit bus, and have actually resulted in seniors and disabled people being told to sit elsewhere so some young mother who carries the kid in her arms and her shopping in the "stroller" can take up room that should go to the person who is 75 years old, or who uses a walker or canes or crutches. As far as I'm concerned, the moment those things become objects to carry stuff in instead of a baby, they can damn well wait for a bus that doesn't have people who genuinely need that designated seating. Or they can get a stroller that isn't the size of a shopping cart.

I once told a telemarketer to please wait a moment, there was something I needed to do and I'd be right back. They said okay, so I put the phone receiver down right below the door bell. Then I went out to the front porch and rang it.

Would you believe... they hung up? I can't think why, just because we had the loudest bell on the block, that was something like a cross between a buzzer and a siren (my grandfather had it installed because he couldn't hear the normal "ding-dong" kind). There was no way to adjust the volume and it always made people jump even when expecting it to be rung.

The way things work here is that the intercom/door is connected to my phone. So when the phone rings I don't know if it's a real person, a robocall, or someone wanting to get into the building.

I'm still thinking of some suitably noisy thing to use when some idiot calls, trying to sell me doors and windows (I tell them I already have those), or a security system (I live in an apartment building with its own security), or they want to fix my Windows (I tell them I appreciate that because they do get really dusty here, but they'll have to bring their own ladder, soap, and cloths because I don't have anything suitable).

19. Sickening

Sickening Chieftain

Offshore banking organization that does not require its account holders to pay tax, entry fee or impossible requirements of any kinds so that middle class citizens may deposit their money while able to provide the highest level of privacy and offer multiple types of employment and residence to everyone. One of these offers includes multilingual liaison / customer service / social media affiliate / internet security.

20. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

We needed the stroller for containment. If they were in the three seats they were all going the same direction.

tjs282 likes this.