Power Diplomacy...

Do you conduct Power Diplomacy in your RTW Imperial Campaigns?

• Yes; I have conquered more provinces with *diplomacy* than with military action!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes; I have taken more than 20,000 gold (in one turn) from the AIs via diplomacy!

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Yes; I can get the most powerful enemy factions to give me most of their provinces!

• Yes; I the AI happily gives me their valuable Wonders thanks to my talented Diplomats!

• Yes; I can get the AI to *pay* me for attacking my enemies, like rebels threatening my land!

• Yes; I can get the AI to submit to me as a Protectorate!

• Yes; I can get the AI to attack stone walled cities like Athens with me!

• Yes; I have done *some* (or all) the above, just not in the same game.

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Yes; I can do all the above -- simultaneously -- before 260 BC.

• No, that stuff is not possible without using cheats.

Votes: 12 60.0%

• Total voters

starlifter

Deity
Since this is a Civilization forum, I'm wondering if many people here play RTW. And to those that do, how you play Single Player in diplomatic terms.

Do you conduct cutthroat diplomacy in your RTW Imperial Campaigns?
Does your diplomatic core "win" more for the glory of your empire than your army, in a long campaign?

For instance, have you ever gotten the AI to:
Spoiler :
- give you their Wonder provinces
- happily send you most of their gold - tens of thousands of denari!
- hand you most of their provinces --- without a fight!
- give you some of the core (original) Roman cities, whilst thanking you for your trouble?
- pay you for attacking your enemies... like rebels threatening your own land!
- submit to you as a Protectorate (even though you might not accept them as such)!
- help you attack stone walled cities like Athens -- then gotten that AI army slaughtered during the attack!

That's what this poll is about. If you've done any or all the above (without cheats, of course), then also write about your experience(s), like what civ you were, who you did the diplomatic nasty to, what level of play (H/H, etc.)... :nuke:

If you can achieve these sorts of results, then you... are engaging in Rome: Total War . . . . .
Spoiler :
Power Diplomacy!

:cool:

Is it even possible?

The only thing I found useful is being able to sell maps to AI.

Not sure about the rest.

I wouldn't really enjoy playing the game like that as I prefer gradually expanding through military conquest. Additionally I tend to find the midgame boring once I hold more than 20 cities so I don't want to gain those cities quicker.

Is it even possible?
You can do these things, indeed, but not at just anytime. Timing is important, especially protectorates. Ant the AI will not give you something for nothing, e.g. you will pay somehow.

Whats diplomacy? When i usually find people outside my territorial borders
The effective diplomacy really occurs before you get involved in wars; after that, its much harder to get any major concessions out of the AI. But if you keep a good rep, you can continue to get a slow stream of gold from selling maps, and sometimes even attacks on the Rebels.

Diplomacy is good in my point of view if used like this:
1.Build one more diplo besides the one given on begin game, the first diplo should go across the map and make trade rights with all factions.
2.The second should stay home to buy off possible targets: troops from the same cultural background - hellenic (greece, macedon, seleucid), roman, barbarian (gauls, german, britons), african (carthage, numidia and iberia), eastern.

Altough i prefer to put my money on ports, roads, markets and farms on the early basis.

I prefer to fight to acquire wonders, as they are generally the first provinces I attack. I aim to hurt their culture and the happiness of their populace first.

By this time, gold is rather meaningless, as I have the most economically prosperous provinces you can get. I believe they are the Greek Cities and Ionia. Going as far north as Tylis and Bylazora.

- give you some of the core (original) Roman cities, whilst thanking you for your trouble?
The Romans generally shatter their alliance with me for no reason beforehand, so I don't ask, nor even demand those cities, I take them and enslave the populace.

This has happened on occasion, but I commonly get the answer of basically "We do not trust you enough". Which is BS, I say I'm going to be your ally, I'm your ally thick and thin, no matter what the circumstances. I hold alliances to be quite sacred. The only alliances I have ever broken is in my effective subversion of Pyrrhus and the Greeks.

- submit to you as a Protectorate (even though you might not accept them as such)!
Playing as Macedon, I managed to get the Seleucids to agree to this. I demanded they become a protectorate and give me two of their major cities along the Mediterranean. They agreed and thanked me graciously. Of course this was after I pushed them out of Anatolia entirely in the span of about 2 or 3 turns, despite the size of their armies there (full or dam near it).

- help you attack stone walled cities like Athens -- then gotten that AI army slaughtered during the attack!
This is a tactic I use to great effect when I play as the Romans in Rome Total Realism. My armies didn't stand a chance against him (Pyrrhus of Epirus) for some reason. So, I try to get an alliance within the first few turns, then co-besiege one of the rebel cities/provinces separating our nations. I usually build up siege equipment (as I get there first), and upon smashing a hole in the enemies defences, I pull all my troops back out of range of the defenders.

And Pyrrhus the Moron charges all the way across the map and like an idiot, charges again headlong into Italian spearmen. I wait until he dies, then I attack the city and take it for myself. After Pyrrhus is dead, I no longer have need of an alliance with the Greeks, and proceed to acquire their remaining provinces in Italy and Sicily.

===================================================

There isn't really a poll choice for me. While I do acquire some things via diplomacy, the majority of it is through military conquest.

starlifter said:
Since this is a Civilization forum, I'm wondering if many people here play RTW. And to those that do, how you play Single Player in diplomatic terms.

Do you conduct cutthroat diplomacy in your RTW Imperial Campaigns?
Does your diplomatic core "win" more for the glory of your empire than your army, in a long campaign?

For instance, have you ever gotten the AI to:
Spoiler :

That's what this poll is about. If you've done any or all the above (without cheats, of course), then also write about your experience(s), like what civ you were, who you did the diplomatic nasty to, what level of play (H/H, etc.)... :nuke:

If you can achieve these sorts of results, then you... are engaging in Rome: Total War . . . . .
Spoiler :
Power Diplomacy!

:cool:

Maybe you should post an in-depth guide on what 'Power Diplomacy' is because it looks like a whole bunch of people here don't get it.

Well, starlifter, how about it? Are you going to explain?

If you won't let us all in on what you are talkng about, how about posting a screenshotof your achievements or, better yet, a link to a saved game?

At time of posting, 75% of voters seem to think that your claims are moonshine. Care to prove us wrong?

Hope he is not busy with Medievil Total War 2 :) But I could use a diplomacy guide because I stink at it. I have George W. Bush skills when it comes to diplomacy. Good if you want to be at war with everyone though hehe.

I have George W. Bush skills when it comes to diplomacy. Good if you want to be at war with everyone though hehe.
LOL!

I am concentratng on RTR:pE now and, from what I have been reading on their forum, it appears that RTW 1v2's diplomacy was the most effective implementaton. I understand that RTR 1v5 somehow "lost" much of its earlier diplomacy gameplay and RTR:pE compounded the problem still further by restricting to 1 the number of diplomatic moves per faction, per turn. Consequently, my own strategy now is to react to AI approaches but not to originate any diplomatic moves myself. So far I have secured an alliance (one that I was itching to go for, anyway) and three trade agreements, just by agreeing to proposals made by AI factions.

So, it looks like diplomacy is crock in RTR 1v5 and its derivatives and probably best ignored?

....been having fun with the diplomacy in MTW2, England; Ally with France. 20 Turns later, France wants war with me, I agree to break alliance if they give me Angers....

o_0

Yup they gave me angers, that vital Fortress linking up their territory....(similar things happened with HRE and Milan, denmark and Hungry).

....been having fun with the diplomacy in MTW2, England; Ally with France. 20 Turns later, France wants war with me, I agree to break alliance if they give me Angers....

o_0

Yup they gave me angers, that vital Fortress linking up their territory....(similar things happened with HRE and Milan, denmark and Hungry).

Wierd, they gave me Angers aswell for agreeing a ceasefire to a completely cold war.

i got Egypt to become protectorate...but does it count if i pulverised their armies and reduced them to 1 territory with no real sized army to defend themand about 10 full sized armies standing outside the city?

Top Bottom