1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Power of stone,marble, copper, etc...

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by marinerfan100, Dec 5, 2005.

1. marinerfan100

marinerfan100 Chieftain

If you have a civ that isn't connected to any of these resources, is it still worth it to build wonders? Or should you wait, make units, reg. buildings, and whatever else until you get the resource to double speed on a wonder you want to build? What strategies are you using regarding this?

2. BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone Windbag of the sea

Depends on difficulty level, other civs' resources, whether you get the required tech early or late, what other things the city could be doing and how much you want the wonder. If you're industrious and you start with particular resources (see RB Epic 1's start location) then you may as well mop up the relevant wonders, and if you get a tech a long way ahead of the AI it's almost always worth building wonders.
    The early game is where this really counts, since the tech difference and resource availability will tend to increase as the game goes on. Building the Pyramids without stone (or the parthenon without marble) is usually pretty risky, building stonehenge with it early is practically a given, everything else depends!

3. King Flevance

King Flevance Deity

I would say it depends on the map, neighboring Civs, and your focus on which wonders you want. Along with the difficulty level. At higher difficulties, you may want to try for a tech lead and go for the later wonders as it will most likely end up as a wad of cash early on. You better hope you have horses and iron for one. Then try to conquer a city with the wonders in them if you are neighboring.

One thing you could do is try to get metal casting early for the forge and have alot of mines. I have built some of the early wonders with no access to the bonus in mining cities, although I wouldnt doubt just barely and it was probably on my noble-monarch games. Either way, I would say try for it anyways if you have a city to spare production on an effort. Even if you fail, you will make money to support the army to conquer a neighbor's city.
    If you are by yourself as far as you know, use recon to keep the barbarians at bay and build like you have never built before.

4. Roxinante

Roxinante Warlord

Well, I'm currently having an awful time trying to build the Statue of Liberty - my best city will take 121 rounds to build it. Guess what resource I lack? And the civs I try buying it off of want tons of things in return - and I'm in the process of building a settler, so I can send them, two rifles, a worker and a Great Artist into the middle of a hotly contested war zone so I can have access to copper.
    I think resources are hugely important - not insanely important like CivIII (no saltpeter? I'm doooooomed!), but if I'm going to win, I need pretty much one of: iron, coal, oil and aluminum.

5. Tiger_Nation

Tiger_Nation Warlord

I think the stones marble stone etc seem to be far too rare i never seem to be able to get my hands on them early in the game when i most need them.

6. atc_chief

atc_chief Warlord

I've had the same issue as Tiger as far as marble; it never seems to be accessible. The last two games had just one or two plots of marble on the whole map (standard size). If you know a rival has the same techs and they have a key wonder resource, then you know you need to match the resource to compete in the build.

7. Exavier

Exavier Destroyer of Worlds

Well those wonder resorces as they are referred to are suppost to be rare. I mean iron, copper, aluminum are alot more common becuase there are more things that need them. The other ones are just in there and usually have a very low random generation rate.

Though in my opinion the only resorce you really need is Uranium... enough ICBMs will solve all your problems... SDI or not :p

8. Tiger_Nation

Tiger_Nation Warlord

Its okay later on though i find as i have either conquered them or built enough industry for them to be easily buildable without. However in the early game i don't think i have ever managed to build the pyramid yet.

9. Polopapolo

Polopapolo click, psht, Whoop ass !!

Copper is also very important early on for axemen and defending against barbarians. I usualy explore right from the get go to find a source of stone/marble/flood plain tiles or other interesting ressources and send settlers there first: even if it's far from my capital.

10. Tiger_Nation

Tiger_Nation Warlord

Have you found axemen useful then? I have found them useless to be honest.

11. vbraun

vbraun Raytracing

They are very useful, what do barbarians usually attack you with? Some kind of Meele unit which axeman are especially good at.

12. ZippyRiver

ZippyRiver Prince

On my current map, coper is everywhere, stone is abundant. Oddly enough, I got iron, but the resource is under my capitol city. Frustrating production loss there, but at least I got it.

As for the elusive marble.... I can get it about half the maps I have played so far. In my current game tho, I had to settle on a glacier to reach it. Once that city expands one ring i will get the quarry on it (I hope I can build it on there). I also will get 2 beavers for my effort so the build is worth it imo. I tend to find it a lot near ice/tundra. might be worthwhile to send out a scouting party to the poles if you really want marble that bad.

If I start out near the top/bottom edge I usually send that first unit along the edge to see how far it can get and maybe find you know what.

13. Tiger_Nation

Tiger_Nation Warlord

well barbarians attack me with them.

14. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

My usual strategy is to expand in the direction of the nearest stone/marble and copper deposits. I play on Noble. The game is really tough if you dont' get one or the other at some point. Iron can compensate for a lack of copper up to a point, but it is hard to build wonders without stone or marble. But that's just my playing style, yours may vary.

15. countzero

countzero Chieftain

somehow I got the impression that marble is found areas closer to the poles, and stone is near to the equitor. Maybe you're playing in warm climate ?