Power of Treasury

blackheart

unenlightened
Who has the power of the treasury? Is it the DM or the people? I was wondering this because several different ministers could have instructions that use the treasury and I wonder who's orders would take precedence incase the treasury would be drained by the orders.

blackheart said:
Who has the power of the treasury? Is it the DM or the people? I was wondering this because several different ministers could have instructions that use the treasury and I wonder who's orders would take precedence incase the treasury would be drained by the orders.

Prior to DG4, the Domestic Minister had control over finances, and administered that via the budget thread. Part of DG4 this was controlled by the Senate, and part by the Minister of Finance and Labor. This game we're back to Domestic.

In my several terms leading Domestic, I tended to set general guidelines where below a certain level I just approved them without going to the people, and for higher levels held a discussion.

The President makes a good point here. When I was Domestic Leader, all of the Budget decisions were made by me. Of course we had a huge amount of gold because we were expanding so quickly. But had the point been reached that we were running out of gold, as a Leader, I would have tried to put my finger on the pulse of the nation at that time (through discussion and/or polling) and made the appropriate choice between the departments. Some chats a certain Department might get all green lights, the next chat they may get nothing, while another Department's requests were more vital to the nation. That's my point of view, anyway.

Cyc, based on your good experiences with the treasury and budgetary control, I just came up with a great idea. What if we had a minister of treasury, IRL a powerful position?

Provolution said:
Cyc, based on your good experiences with the treasury and budgetary control, I just came up with a great idea. What if we had a minister of treasury, IRL a powerful position?

But what powers would we give him that wouldn't overlap with everyone else? Would everyone have to go to this minister for use of the national budget or what?

That would be the case yes. I am actually working on a model on how this would keep the number of ministries balanced, powers balanced and the WOTP fully included.

Maybe the position could simply be an appointed post by the president. In this way, no one will favor one department over another, whereas if the Domestic Minister has control, he/she may favor the domestic department. I like the idea of a Treasurer, but also his/her decisions should be carefully watched, as with anything else.

Hmmm, sounds like the return of the Ministry of Finance and Labor!

-- Ravensfire

ravensfire said:
Hmmm, sounds like the return of the Ministry of Finance and Labor!
Those were the days. I think that I was the only Minister of Finance and Labor ever. And the only accepting nominee for term 6.

Domestic approves and disapproves cash-rush requests and the financing of unit-upgrades. A good Domestic Minister holds discussions and posts polls on it, especially if it concerns large amounts of gold or if our gold is limited. If a Domestic Instruction is questioned by a citizen, there are many ways to address this (discussion with the Dom-Min, discussions, polls, CC's, remembering in election-time, etc.).
As long as the Dom-Min only approves (or denies) officially requested cash-rushes and unit-upgrades there can't be a big problem. It will get big if the Dom-Min authorises unrequested rushes or if the Dom-Min denies blindly without giving the reasons or discussion (with at least the requestor).

Top Bottom