1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Power Plants: Everything You Wanted to Know But Were Afraid to Ask

Discussion in 'Civ3 Strategy Articles' started by Catt, May 7, 2003.

1. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

Nuke plants are interesting enough ;)

Actually, I dont know if I said it in this thread or not but Nuclear Meltdowns are kinda cool in civ3.

2. Angry_Carp

Angry_Carp Chieftain

Thanks for the info regarding recycleing and shields for buildings I had no idea.

3. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

What happens to a power plant's output if the Factory is destroyed/sold?

Just asking since as far as I know other buildings that have prerequisite buildings don't stop functioning when the prereq is gon (Banks continue to work when the market place is destroyed, etc.)

4. Catt

Catt Chieftain

You lose the production benefits of the power plant. Only if a factory is present will the bonus effects of the power plant be realised.

5. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

Is that just for power plants or anything with a production bonus? (ie same for Mfg. plants?)

6. Catt

Catt Chieftain

Though not tested, I'd venture a confident guess that the mfg. plant would still give a production bonus even if a factory was destroyed or sold.

7. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

8. Hygro

Catt, I would reckon you are wrong. I'm also fairly sure banks don't work when the marketplace is destroyed.

9. Catt

Catt Chieftain

Don't know about a flag (one doesn't appear in the editor, meaning any flag is in code not exposed through the editor), but I tested it in a game and the mfg plant continues to provide a bonus even if the factory is sold. But with the factory gone, the power plant provides no benefit.

(For the record, the test was C3C v1.22, on a capital city - no waste - producing 49 base shields; with factory, nuclear plant, and mfg plant, the production was 147 shields (which ties to the expected 200% bonus from factory (50%), mfg plant (50%) and nuclear plant (100%)); when selling the factory, production dropped to 73 shields (which ties to the expected 50% bonus of the mfg plant).

Banks continue to provide a 50% bonus to taxes even if the market is destroyed, just as research labs (the Internet) provide a 50% bonus to the science account even in cities without a library or university.

10. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

Thanks, I'm going to guess it is probably somehow tied in with the 'powerplant flag' then.

11. Hygro

Catt, that's some very interesting information.

The only flag that makes the powerplant special is the "replace others" one.

12. Justus II

Justus II General Staff

THAT's interesting, I would have assumed that the Manufacturing plant would have allowed the power plant to continue functioning, as it's a "type" of factory. Definitely seems to be something hard-coded about "Factory" and Power Plants, not just production-type structures.

13. Catt

Catt Chieftain

I suspect (only a suspicion) that the workings of power plants were changed from an original design somewhere in the late development process. The civilopedia entries for the power plants still read: "The ________ plant increases factory output by 50%." Of course, a power plant increases a city's base production by 50%, not only the factory's production bonus (which would be a net 25% production bonus on the city's production). By comparison, the civilopedia entry for a bank is: "The bank increases tax revenue in its city by 50%, in addition to any marketplace benefit." The bank identification makes clear that the bonus operates on a city's tile production and slider settings rather than any additional bonus to the market's pre-existing bonus.

Perhaps the power plants were originally designed to increase only the factory's bonus and was later changed to operate on base city production values like all other improvements, and the tie to factories simply remains unexposed in the editor.

14. Nachos

Nachos SEMPER IDEM

do manufactoring plants replace other power plants?

15. Hygro

no sir, they don't