1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Power Ranking the Civs (Gathering Storm)

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by The googles do nothing, Feb 20, 2019.

1. AsparustheSaiyan

AsparustheSaiyan Chieftain

That's Germany's biggest advantage when it comes to their hansa's. Providing they can get the adjacency bonus' for it they can put them down even in cities with few hills.

Also, hey Jewelrunna! How you been dude :)

2. Bibor

Bibor Doomsday Machine

Read the first 10 pages, gave up after that, so here I am, posting on the 15th page :D

Any civ that has the upper hand in the first 75-100 turns is a winner, doesn't matter what exactly your uniques are.
    IMO any civ that can kick off a consistent Classical golden age coupled with Harvest pantheon is a winner. Korea is a strong contender to be the most OP civ out there, as tech is hardest resource to come by without heavy hammer investment.
    Food is fine, but I'd rather have Germany's manufacturing/commerce rings with pop 7 cities.

Socrates99 likes this.
  3. AsparustheSaiyan

What other civs would you say? Obviously Sumeria, Nubia and Maori. Any others?

4. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

Nope, still Scotland. And I tried like hell to beat my Scotland times with Korea. I just can't do it.

Socrates99 likes this.
  5. OmegaDestroyer

OmegaDestroyer Chieftain

I wholeheartedly agree. A really perplexing design decision.

6. Pietato

Pietato Warlord

Guess you are bad at Korea, then.

7. Leucarum

Leucarum Chieftain

One thing I wish is that Scotland had a science-friendly start bias. A mountain start bias wouldn't even be out of place (it's literally called the highlands). As it stands it feels like Scotland is very RNG as to whether or not they get many good early campus locations.

8. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

It's kind of hard to be bad at Korea. :p Unless you just put districts next to all your Seowons. Percentage based bonuses are few and far between in Civ6, and Scotland gets them. I settle for nothing less than ecstatic in all my cities. Haven't played them in GS, though I can't see them changing too much. I actually build IZ's with them, and they get good production with the percentage based bonus. Though unfortunately the scaling doesn't affect adjacency, so they won't get the massive bonus Germany does to coal plants.

9. ZeroSuitSenpai

ZeroSuitSenpai Chieftain

Egypt can always get a Classical Golden Age if the player wants to. Both of their uniques are ancient era, even if their UU is poopoo.

With the introduction of the Great Bath, Egypt can semi-confidently rush Stonehenge even on higher difficulties, with is +7 era score (wonder + first religion), with a Sphinx next to it is +11 era score.

Then they still get a free +4 from building a tragedy archer. And early sphinxes provide faith fuel for the oh-so-valuable golden age monumentality dedication, even if you got a crap pantheon and aren't focusing on holy sites.

All that being said, Egypt is very far from being considered one of the powerful civs, but they can get a Classical golden age pretty reliably.

Of course, the other option for Egypt is to rush comm hubs and go for a free inquiry golden age, but if I'm doing that I prefer to save the sphinx and tragedy archer era score for the classical era, so I can do a Medieval Free Inquiry golden age with more commercial hubs up. This strategy is more suited for Phoenicia or Mali though.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  10. Sostratus

Sostratus Warlord

Why rush +2 CHs when you can rush +7 Sugubas all over the place instead?
    The Malinese preference for taking Reyna early (to later buy districts) synergies really well with harbormaster (another 7-8 science and gold from a suguba.) They are like, the ideal early golden age civ since they can spec to Free Inquiry for uber science or Monumentality to spend their faith hoard getting everything settled, built, and bought. In SP mali is very very strong outside of the ancient era.

Tiger Genocide likes this.
  11. Jewelrunna

Jewelrunna Chieftain

Asuh dude. Been pretty well, focusing on classes, though frustrated by Civ VI. This game is soooo close to being truly excellent, but there's just a plethora of design choices and balancing issues that could so easily be ironed out, yet the devs are unaware of the problems or do not see them as a problem. A shame, because if you just fix the game a smidgen, I think it's easily the best Civ game. For all of the shoddy production costs, badly planned tech tree, and appalling unit progression, there's an excellent foundation here.

Ah well. I've at least played enough of this game to have a GS tier list 1.0. Nothing here is set though, and is subject to change. Also unordered, since I'm unsure of the overall hierarchy, and I'm dividing it into five pretty broad tiers.

S-Tier: Australia, Aztecs, Germany, Hungary, Korea, Nubia, Scythia, Sumeria

A-Tier: Arabia, Cree, Inca, Macedonia, Macedon, Mali, Maori, Persia, Rome, Russia, Zulu

B-Tier: China, Dutch, Greece (Gorgo & Pericles), Indonesia, Japan, Kongo, Mongolia, Phoenicia, Scotland

C-Tier: America, Brazil, Egypt, India (Chandragupta), Ottomans, Poland, Sweden

D-Tier: Canada, England (Eleanor & Victoria), France (CdM & Eleanor), Georgia, India (Gandhi), Khmer, Mapuche, Norway, Spain

I don't have an "F-tier" in this list, because I think an "F-Tier" implies that the Civ is worse than a complete blank slate; that is to say that their uniques actually make them worse off. I really don't think there's a Civ in the game like that for Civ VI; there's no Civ V Iroquois or multiplayer Venice. Though, if I were to have one, it would be inhabited by Canada, both Vicky and Eleanor's England, and Eleanor's France. I don't think that Eleanor's ability is bad necessarily, I just think she's unfortunately attached to bad Civs (her France has no bonuses until the Medieval Era, and England is just aggressively underwhelming in general). We've discussed why Canada is lame in great detail in this thread, so I feel no need to regurgitate those points.

Don't think I'll do a write up for this one, as these are all subject to change; if I do, it certainly won't be as long as the last one. That said, if anyone wants to discuss any of the placings here in particular, I'll be happy to share my reasoning.

12. Troy Bruckner

Troy Bruckner Chieftain

The map and settings really determine how powerful a Civ is.
    Play on a resource starved map and Germany will still have a huge production. In fact it makes it easier for them to stack their commercial zones around their Hansa.
    Play on an Archipelago and Indonesia is top ubiquitous flat desert and Mali rules.
    Start in the Industrial era or later on a coastal map and Victoria is at least tier A.
    Play with minimal CSs and Greece deflates
    Play on any map and Canada and Georgia still suck.

Korea is the equivalent to Usain Bolt running a marathon. Big lead early, but you will start getting passed halfway through the race.

13. AsparustheSaiyan

Naturally since Russia is my favourite civ I'd love to know your opinion of them in GS.

Scythia in top tier now? Were they in top tier in your previous list? I can't remember. I imagine the resource requirement was quite nice to them though in GS.

I honestly think China has improved enough to be considered A tier now. Yes the crouching tiger and great wall still suck but there are so many classical and ancient era wonders now that even on higher difficulties you can now guarantee yourself a few. And an extra build charge automatically from the get go has always been pretty powerful.

Hope your studies are going well for you my dude!

14. Pietato

Pietato Warlord

This is complete BS.

15. AsparustheSaiyan

Korea is indeed the best science civ in the game. I mean they have to be! They don't exactly have much going for them except maybe domination with that lead in science they get.

They have a unique science district which nets them a great early science lead and keeps generating more science throughout the game. Yes Scotland does have a great science output but Korea gets a great headstart that just keeps going the more cities they have. That being said Korea does have its flaws. Seowon need to be built on hills which means you lose production and sometimes hills can be scarce depending on map generation. This in my experience is when other science civs such as Scotland can thrive over Korea and eventually overtake them.

However, that being said if all conditions were perfect for every civ then there is no civ better at pure science than Korea. Scotland's appeal is that they are better at other things compared to Korea.

16. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Korea only gets better because of Rationalism boosting science in campus with +3. This bonus was literally designed around them (or Netherlands) maybe. No civ except Australia can compete with that.

With the tech tree being longer now, Korea is even stronger since you need more science over time. Science is much more of a bottleneck than ever.

17. Troy Bruckner

Troy Bruckner Chieftain

Maybe it's a difference in play styles, but Russia with ample tundra will bury Korea in all aspects including tech.
    Maybe it's because I play on marathon, but going balls out Korea had to be lucky to finish by 1350 AD (pre GS) where Russia could finish by 600 AD. This is pure building and no war. A big part of the problem is Korea doesn't have the culture output to have many inspirations where Russia doesn't. Also Russia will have democracy while Korea will be barely in a medieval government. If you do not expand much and turtle with around 8 cities then yeah Korea will beat Russia, but Russia played balls out will have 40 or more cities on a huge map.

Kmart_Elvis and AsparustheSaiyan like this.
  18. Cherenkov

Cherenkov Chieftain

Didn't have time to read all the posts in this thread so sorry if this has already been discussed but Sweden is definitely S tier. Sweden is the easiest way to get a CV without relying on relics, martying apostles kandy cheese.

With all that diplomatic favor you can trade for massive amounts of gold and/or great works especially on deity or just go for a DV(by far the most boring victory).

At low difficulty you should have no problem building oracle, apadana and great library. With those and queen's bibliotheque the game is almost over. You just need 3-4 museums and Pingala with curator promo and printing tech. Had fun learning about this in another thread where hsj got a T133 CV on deity(standard size/time). I used same map/game settings and got a T153 CV. The power of automatic theming in museums and wonders is a sight to behold and the bibliotheque gives you another 6 slot auto themed building that no other civ has. Then if you need more culture you got open-air museums albeit those come a little later.

To sum it up:
    Apadana and GL auto themed are 24 tourism each, 32 with Pingala curator. Bibliotheque is 72. Each auto themed museum is 18. Get printing tech and those trade routes up asap and open borders and enjoy the ride :) Might need heritage tourism on deity as I did in my game.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
    Victoria and Kmart_Elvis like this.
  19. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

It's funny but you almost need two tiers for civs. Mali is A tier in SP but I'd drop them to D tier in MP because literally any civ (Georgia and England included) can decimate them in a rush.

Leucarum likes this.
  20. Sagax

Sagax Warlord

Or weep in the corner, because Russia, Greece, and Kongo are snatching away all the early GWAMs :p Or a plethora of other civs that can build the Theatre district faster.

Sweden is super strong in midgame once QB kicks in, but calling them S tier is a bit of a stretch.

Tiger Genocide likes this.