1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

PowerBook 12"?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Macintosh' started by ChiefSparkY, Aug 4, 2006.

1. ChiefSparkY

ChiefSparkY Warlord

I'm trying to get a definitive answer from people who have actually tried Civ 4 on a PowerBook 12". Will any of these little machines play the game? If you've actually tried it, I'd love to hear about your experience. I know these machines don't meet the minimum specs, so please don't post to tell me that.

(I have just received my THIRD MacBook - I've now been trying to get a working MacBook for three months, and still Apple are failing me. This one has to go back as well due to loud electric buzzing from the adapter and other issues. I think I'm going to grab a PB 12" if someone can tell me it can play Civ 4, even on a small map, at a playable speed).

Thanks

2. Ziutek

Ziutek Chieftain

I tried it on my brother's 1.5ghz 12" and it was unbearably slow and this was on the lowest settings on a small map. Though I tried this before the patch came out, I doubt there would be much improvement with the patch installed.

3. ChiefSparkY

ChiefSparkY Warlord

Thanks for that info. If you happen to be feeling generous and have access to your brother's PowerBook, it would be great if you could try it with the patch installed. Otherwise, I look forward to hearing about other people's impressions.

4. Ziutek

Ziutek Chieftain

Unfortunately I currently don't have access to his computer right now. Sorry can't be generous today...

5. von Tirpitz

von Tirpitz Chieftain

When not at home I use to play Civ4 on my iBook G4, 1,33 Ghz, 512 MB RAM and 32 MB VRAM and .... suprise, suprise.. it works okay for small maps! Just played a game about a week ago with three other civs and a small size map and there were no problems. ( after applying the patch of course)

So with a PB 12" you should definately be able to play it, though only with the lowest settings and small maps..

6. 5150

5150 Warlord

I've got an 867mhz 12", and it's playable for little maps. I haven't played much on it, though, and nothing with this last patch.

7. ChiefSparkY

ChiefSparkY Warlord

It's playable on a 867mhz PowerBook?! Wow! I'm aiming for a 1.5Ghz or 1.33Ghz but it's good to know it plays on that spec too, even if the maps are tiny etc.

Any more experiences gladly received!

8. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

I have a 1 GHz G4. The killer on my system is the 32 MB Geforce 4MX video, but I probably *could* play a tiny or small game on it. I'd need to stock up on a lot more patience than I normally deploy, though. You probably need to trade info on memory to get good comparisons, and I dunno what video options the 12" PB has.

9. ChiefSparkY

ChiefSparkY Warlord

I only discovered tonight that the 1.33Ghz 12" PBs had the same 64MB video chip as the 1.5Ghz 12" models. Cool! I'd really really love to hear from someone who has played on one of these models with a patched version of Civ 4...

I'm hoping to buy on eBay within the next few days. This MacBook is going back and I'll wait for Revision B!

Thanks for any info PB owners!

10. wookitus

wookitus Chieftain

I personally found it too painful to play on my Powerbook G4 1.33ghz 12". Maybe others here have incredible patience though. :crazyeye:

11. ChiefSparkY

ChiefSparkY Warlord

Thanks for the useful (but disappointing!) info. Can I ask if you this was pre or post patch and how much RAM you had in your PB?

12. von Tirpitz

von Tirpitz Chieftain

Really strange, as mentioned it runs fine on my iBook G4 on small maps with few civs. So it should be even better on a Powerbook ...

(on lowest settings and after the patch, of course)

13. Yunique

Yunique Chieftain

I've played 2 1/2 games with beta patch on the last TiBook 1GHz, 1GB, 64MB VRam. On normal sized maps it started out at an okay speed, which scratched my Civ IV itch just fine. As the map filled with tile improvements (cottages, farms, mines...etc.) it became unbearable. Although CPU turns never took too long, cycling and panning from one single unit to another eventually took more than 5 seconds at less than 5fps. At which point, I get a strong urge to finish the game by the quickest means (i.e. war.)

The performance curve is a gentle slope that leads you to tolerate slower and slower speeds, just a few more polygons at a time. When you finally realize how bad it is, you have an empire that you don't want to give up. It humors a curiosity. But never fully satisfying.

14. ChiefSparkY

ChiefSparkY Warlord

Post patch I assume? I wonder if there is much difference between the ATI graphics in yours and the Nvidia in my PB 12"...

15. benny2012

benny2012 Chieftain

I am using an Apple Powerbook 12" 1.5ghz with 1.25gigs of RAM
    (The last revision before the Intel Macbook)

I played CIV 4 last night (1.61 patch applied) with a medium map and a couple of Civ's besides my own and it was a little choppy but workable (graphics set to low of course).

Good luck

16. ChiefSparkY

ChiefSparkY Warlord

Useful info as that's precisely the type of PowerBook I've just bought! Before I stop pestering the forum with these questions, can I just ask if you played right to the end game? I assume all the graphical options were turned down low?

17. imadork

imadork Chieftain

I just got my hands on Civ IV last night, and have been trying it out on my 12" PB (1.5 GHz with 1.25 GB Ram, just like benny2012.)

The 3D scrolling is definitely choppy. Going from one unit to another was slow. But after a while, I got used to it. I'm going to try a smaller map today to see if that helps. At first, even the cinematics in the intro movie were choppy. Then I remembered about the patch, and installed that, and the intro played without a hitch. Whatever was in that patch made my PB happy!

It's definitely playable, if you're patient. We'll see how slow the end-game gets, though. One of these days I'll have to find someone with a MacBook to see how well the game runs on that. I decided to not get a MacBook and get this used PB instead a few months ago based partly on the notion that Civ would run faster with a dedicated graphics card....

18. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

You can test performance in late game without having to play through your own game by downloading an existing late game save file. Examples are available in the SG forum, or on the HOF, GOTM and SGOTM web pages.

19. Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver Civ3/4 Mac programmer

The MacBook has a dedicated graphics card, just not a very good one by modern standards. The 12" PowerBook has a GeForce 5200, which is no screamer either; it's the lowest NVidia card we support. It's a slightly better card than in the MacBook, but the MacBook has a much more powerful CPU to compensate so it's about a wash.

20. imadork

imadork Chieftain

The other part of the equation, of course, was that I was able to get the PB with maxed-out ram for a few hundred less than a stock MacBook (plus sales tax!) would have cost, and it will meet all my needs until the MacBook gets all the manufacturing kinks out and gets a graphics upgrade.