1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Practice game for COTM112 Demigod, India

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Game of the Month' started by templar_x, Feb 23, 2015.

1. templar_x

templar_x usually walks his talks

Irrigation of desert takes 6 turns with the fast worker? and desert uses up 2 movement points?
    t_x

2. greatbeyond

greatbeyond King

I purposefully changed Desert from 1 movement point to 2 The reason was partly balance as Marsh takes 2 mp and Jungle takes 3 by default. Primarily i wanted to use these terrains to slow down the AI advance and for reasons that might seem reasonable once you have played the contest save.

I changed Jungle terrain to use 2 movement points.

As far as Desert taking 6 turns to irrigate I did not make any change to this. It is a consequence of the Fast Worker working 50% faster. The normal irrigation for Deserts, as far as I can find, is 8 turns.

I am play testing the contest save to make sure the play balance is right. We don't want Demigod to be too easy, so I might give the AI back some of the changes I made. I will be sure to post any changes.

There is a thread asking about making changes to Civ3 to breathe new life into it or to make it more interesting. Any ideas? I personally would like to make some of the games have a little more character and maybe a few twists.

Thanks for your input.

worker turns reference I found. http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=80432

3. Più Freddo

Più Freddo From space, earth is blue

I think 8-turn irrigation is a consequence of the 2 movement points. 2 x 4 = 8. Usually, a Desert tile is irrigated in 4 turns. Compare with roading a Forest or Hill, which takes twice as long as roading a "flat" tile.

I'm all in favour of twists and special setups as long as it is not an attempt to create a wholly new game.

4. Più Freddo

Why would I ever want to build a normal Worker?

5. Cotta

Cotta Warlord

Yes, that's..funny.

Few more: I always dislike raging barbs. Especially on demigod and very especially with a centre position on pangaea. :crazyeye:

So, the problems coming up might be a little bit to heavy. Less territory could have been compensated by early war against the AI - but without iron and horses (they are to far away to be connected...) it is tricky - moreover I would expect iron ressources looking to several hills and mountains.

6. Memento

Memento The World is mine

:eek: Very strong.
    Its a great or a small Wonder?

7. greatbeyond

greatbeyond King

I forgot to mention Barbs will be Sedentary, though they certainly don't act that way after a while on Demigod!

Those people who love a challenge might want to build "regular" Workers. :D

As far as changes to the game, I am thinking more of tweaks to give it some variety.

It might be interesting to really change things up or use one of the mods that others have created, for a change. All changes I have made do not require the player to change any of their default files.

There will be Iron and Horses. As for Pangaea being difficult on Demigod, that is why I have tinkered with the AI a little. In my first few test games, the AI ran wild, as it usually does on Demigod. Hopefully it will be an enjoyable game that will not take an extremely long time to complete.

Some variants I thought might be interesting:

- Always war or several different alliances (depends on the difficulty level, lower would be easier)

- No tech trading

- Themed maps or challenges

We saw some interesting scenarios during the SGOTM series that might be good for individual competition.

I hope to have the starting screenshot posted in the next day or two with the starting file shortly thereafter.

8. greatbeyond

greatbeyond King

The Taj Mahal is a Great Wonder. It just uses the Forbidden Palace Civilopedia entry as a place holder so the game doesn't crash. At first I used the palace, but the game crashed because there isn't any Palace "wonder-splash" screen.

I got my inspiration while thinking about India and what was unique to it. I came up with the idea for the benefits after reading the wikipedia article on it. I initially didn't make it that strong, but you need The Republic and Republic Government to build it. You won't get too much effect until you start the middle ages.

Of course you have to have a treasury to earn the 5% interest!

There is a chance the AI may still build it even though I have tried to deter them. After play-testing and before the release of the contest save I can scale them back if we can agree it is too much.

9. Memento

Memento The World is mine

Please, not to many changes.

Please remove one. probability is great that you build the wrong one.

10. Più Freddo

For which traits will Taj Mahal trigger the Golden Age?

11. greatbeyond

greatbeyond King

I did not set it to trigger any golden age. On top of it's other bonuses I thought it would be excessive. It is however a "Tourist" attraction which according to the editor help file;

"A Great Wonder can become a Tourist Attraction once it has "stood the test of time" for over 100 turns. A Tourist Attraction then begins to attract commerce to the city in which it is constructed, which steadily increases as time passes and its fame spreads. An attraction that has been built for over 100 turns but less than 201 turns produces two gold for its owning city; one that's been around for over 200 turns but less than 301 produces four gold, etc."

I did fix it so that India can only build the Fast worker. However, any Worker you trade for or enslave will only have regular worker stats.

12. Più Freddo

Enslave? With which unit?

You can build Taj Mahal by all fresh water, river or lake.

13. greatbeyond

greatbeyond King

By enslave I simply meant one you capture, not to be confused with the unit special ability to do so.

I set the requirement in the editor for "must be built near a river". If it is letting you build it in a city that is near water, but not on a river, it must be an issue with the editor.

The help for this says "Must Be Near a River (Improvement Flag)
    If checked, a city must be located near a river in order to build the selected improvement."

14. Più Freddo

The Editor has many issues.

15. greatbeyond

greatbeyond King

Original starting Post that I have moved to this post to accommodate the game announcement and description.
    -----------------------
    I have created the attached practice game for the upcoming COTM112 Demigod game playing as India.

The starting area is similar but the rest of the map is not and there is more land in the actual contest save. 9 AI's will be the same.

Map particulars for the contest save are the same. It will be a Pangaea, standard size, but with more land. NO Goody Huts. No world wrap. You start with 1 Settler and 1 Fast Worker.

To hopefully make it more interesting and winnable I have made some changes:
    - War elephants get 1 extra hit point and ignore movement costs for jungles

- added "Fast Workers" who work 50% harder than a normal Worker. You will still be able to build both. Only India can build Fast Workers.

- Favorite government of India has been changed to Republic

- A new wonder "Taj Mahal" can now be built. It costs 160 shields to build (same as a Cathedral) and gives the following benefits: 2 happy faces per city, Tourist attraction, and 5% interest on your treasury.

It requires "The Republic" and you must have Republic as your government. In addition it must be built near a river.

I have attempted to make the AI less inclined to build it using the "flavor" factor in the editor, but there aren't any guarantees. It also uses the civilopedia entry for the Forbidden Palace, but none of the original Forbidden Palace stats have changed. Making my own Civilopedia entry would have required a download for players.

- AI units have been reduced to 2 Settlers, 2 Workers, 2 Spears, 2 Warriors, and scouts if the civilization can build them.

- AI support has been reduced to 8 free units and 2 free per city

- AI trade cost is higher (trade between AIs) but I have also increased the rate of global research

- Disease from Flood plains has been reduced from 50% to 10%

- Tobacco has been changed to a Luxury resource but it's stats stay the same.

- the AI cost factor has been raised slightly (what it costs the AI to produce a unit/improvement)

Feel free to play it and let me know of any concerns. I have play tested the practice game several times, and now will concentrate on play testing the contest save.

Good Luck and thank for your patience.

Practice file - http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=390303&d=1424721796