Praetorian! What on Earth! That's not Right!

King Jason said:
A Phalanx is a tactic. Not a unit.

It's a game. They just think of cool names.

:king:
Doesn't it also mean finger??? Man I'd hate to be attacked by that, all the other units would start laughing about me getting fingered lmao hahahahahha

Perhaps you are thinking of the manipular legion which was very flexible but required a lot of training and experience - this was the real uber Roman legion formation.

Look, if you want historical innacuracy, then think back to civ3! Back then, an immortal was a better swordsman... now it's a horse riding spearman... And it's both...how? I could be wrong, but...

Also, does anyone know why you get horseback-riding immortals as persia with the wheel, and not with horseback riding? hell, immortals dont even use the wheel, and if you're not guna require horseback rididng, why not just make e'm free!:p

And yes, a phalanx is a tactic. But if you get too relistic, it becomes just like real life, and if it's just like real life then why bother PLAYING it?

RicoreGuardian said:
And yes, a phalanx is a tactic. But if you get too relistic, it becomes just like real life, and if it's just like real life then why bother PLAYING it?

Why do you think scenarios (of world history) and world maps are so popular? Why do you think 'real" leader names are used? As well as real civilizations??

Because the point of the game is to RE ENACT history OR create your own new history!

You may never be able to go back in time and control the armies of Alexander the Great or Julius Caesar.....but you can on your PC! You may never be able to establish an environmentalist-police state- theocracy...but you can in this game!

That's the point; to control leaders, armies, people, countries, and thus history, in ways that we would never be able to do in real life. It's sort of like a toybox for the historian in all of us! That being said, there is no reason why basic historical inaccuracies cannot be fixed.

And to a few of the posters out there: If all you have to contribute is "it's just a game" then honestly, why are you here wasting your time on an internet forum where people are talking about nothing but...a game? :confused:

DrewBledsoe said:
Grin :) But that was because the frost makes the blade stick, hey maybe that should be moddable, Praetorians -2 str in coniferous forests in winter..

The sad thing is some people might think I was being serious......

Forget moddable, Firaxis needs to put that in the game. If they can make jokes about land wars in asia, why not?

RicoreGuardian said:
You are right... but still some things are really hard to digest.
In Civ Preatorians shold be Legion, like in all the serie. full stop.
For historical accuracy, the legions in roman times when not used for war, they were used for road building.
Every time they camped the built a wooden fortification (to be able to have a safe place again sneak attacks from enemies).
It could be fun in CIV to have units that are capable of fighting and building at the same time... imagine the Legion (aka pretorian) being able to build roads as well... :)
Ok... they are already much too powerful as they are. :)

Navy Seals is an other clamourus example... they are an elite unit for commando operations.

Indian fast workers... what are they?
Did "workers" in India walked faster than their counterparts in other countries?

kcbrett5 said:
After all, it took only 1 General Maximus to beat 5 Praetorians in the woods. And he started with no weapon and a sword at his neck.

My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

Yeah, he was the man.

The Q-Meister said:
And to a few of the posters out there: If all you have to contribute is "it's just a game" then honestly, why are you here wasting your time on an internet forum where people are talking about nothing but...a game? :confused:

Because we like the game, enjoy playing it, and enjoy discussing the game. Everything from strategies, to tips, to why it's important/not important to have 100% accurate names and traits that apply to Civ leaders to satisfy nitpickers.

Doesn't change the fact it's a game. So things are done for entertainement purposes. Someone probably thought Praetorian sounded cooler than Legion. I personally think Phalanx sounds cooler than Hoplite (which was in civ3, but Phalanx was in civ2). Does it matter whether the unit is called a Phalanx or a Hoplite? No. Does it still serve the same function? pretty much.

It's a name for a unit, in a game with History as a setting.

Lord Sankra said:
If history is it's setting, why not take small steps towards making it more accurate? Especially when it does not, in any way, compromise gameplay...
He just said why.

"It's a game, and Phalanx sounds cooler than Hoplite"

wolfigor said:
Indian fast workers... what are they?
Did "workers" in India walked faster than their counterparts in other countries?
I doubt it. :lol: It would make more sense if instead of being fast workers, they were, instead, cheap workers, and India could hire them out to more developed countries at the additional price of the hiring country putting its own populace out of work (unhappiness penalty for outsourcing). Then again, that's more of a recent phenomenon than a historical one... ;)

AfterShafter said:
Hey, Indian workers must be pretty damned fast... Otherwise, why would the United States be hiring them to do so many jobs Americans used to do? :o
Are they build improvement fast too? If only move faster they are useless. When they are working, no need to move around :lol: .

Regards,
Arto.

From the game play I still have to understand the value of Fast Workers as UU, compared to the UUs of other CIVs.
If Fast Worker had a bonus in building improvements... well then it would be really meaningful.
Or maybe a warroir-worker (with minimal power but still valuable in the first turns)

wolfigor said:
From the game play I still have to understand the value of Fast Workers as UU, compared to the UUs of other CIVs.
If Fast Worker had a bonus in building improvements... well then it would be really meaningful.
Or maybe a warroir-worker (with minimal power but still valuable in the first turns)

Chopping and running away from enemies.

Essentially if your worker can move into a forest to cut it without wasting a turn you gain ALOT of worker turns in the course of a game. That is very useful.

They can move quickly to where they are needed to work, again increasing the amount of work done in the game.

Invaders come...the fast worker easily can run away.

One last thing is that for building offensive roads or railroads they can extend it further than normal workers having that extra movement to go along newly laid road.

That explain it?

P.S Re: the title of the thread - yes, Praetorians is a really silly name for the Roman UU, bring back Legions. Add to that, it should only be the English with longbows in my opinion!

Artosoft said:
Are they build improvement fast too? If only move faster they are useless. When they are working, no need to move around :lol: .

Regards,
Arto.

They don't directly build faster, but that movement does save them some time. For instance, regular worker is standing on a plains next to a mountain which you want a mine on - it moves to the mountain, and then has to wait until next turn to start. Fast worker starts the same turn it moves, saving a turn. Building roadways, it doesn't lose a turn every square over rough terrain also.

Benefits aren't huge, but they're there. With French as my primary Civ, I always thought they were pretty good, but I guess that's just because I'm used to having UU's with little impact on the game...

I also thought that Phalanx was a strange name when I looked it up last night.

Oh! I also rad the civilopedia entry for praetorian and it said that the praetorian was an improved legionary that was origonaly inteded as an body gaurd then some emporer decided that it would be a good idea to put them on the field, & know for a funny part, they were put on the field right before the collapse of the empire. :lol:

The Q-Meister said:
It's sort of like a toybox for the historian in all of us!

Oh I like that a lot! Mind if I borrow that phrase when next time explaining Civ to my non-nerd friends?

Top Bottom