Praetorian! What on Earth! That's not Right!

well, the navy seal isn't a main field unit either. the people who made civ just chose the unit with the coolest name

i still think hoplites are cooler that phalanx. but the real issue is the actual unit's traits and capability, so...
the hoplite were not meant to be used as counter for mounted units. they were the best of their time. and they were simply uber soldiers, who actually countered melee units (hop vs. immortal!!!)

the immortals were not mounted either. they were the elite infantry corp (even the civpedia say so!!). the only mounted immortal in the persian history were during the sasanian period, and they were a uber-cavalry (the cataphracts)

catas are missing, and they would fit in well as a unit that comes between HA and Knights. i guess the mod community needs to come up with that.

King Jason said:
A Phalanx is a tactic. Not a unit.

It's a game. They just think of cool names.

Actually I'm quite sure a Phalanx, while being a tactic used, was what the entire formation of hoplites was called. Therefore a Phalanx in the game is simply suggesting that you are using the entire Phalanx instead of just the three guys you see.

But I'm not history expert. Just recalling what I learned in Greek Class.

The phalanx was a formation, used by the Greeks, perfected by the Macedonians. If that's the logic, why isn't Infantry called "<insert favourite infantry formation>" or whatnot?

Yes, hoplite is better name than phalanx because phalanx is only formation of hoplites. And pretorians were imperator's bodyguards as immortals were bodyguards of king of Persia. I agree that legion is better than pretorian in this game.

But greatest joke is to make immortals as horsemen. I don't get it! Immortals were combination of spearmen and bowmen. Is better replace archer to immortal unit for Persian empire with extra cavalry bonuses.

kittenOFchaos said:
Chopping and running away from enemies.

Essentially if your worker can move into a forest to cut it without wasting a turn you gain ALOT of worker turns in the course of a game. That is very useful.

They can move quickly to where they are needed to work, again increasing the amount of work done in the game.

Invaders come...the fast worker easily can run away.

One last thing is that for building offensive roads or railroads they can extend it further than normal workers having that extra movement to go along newly laid road.

That explain it?

:king:

P.S Re: the title of the thread - yes, Praetorians is a really silly name for the Roman UU, bring back Legions. Add to that, it should only be the English with longbows in my opinion!
Hmmm....,

I've got your point. Yes, can be useful sometime to remove connection of neighbor civ :lol: .

Regards,
Arto.

Willowmound said:
Oh I like that a lot! Mind if I borrow that phrase when next time explaining Civ to my non-nerd friends?

:goodjob: Sure! No problem, I kind of like that phrase myself! :lol:

King Jason said:
Because we like the game, enjoy playing it, and enjoy discussing the game. Everything from strategies, to tips, to why it's important/not important to have 100% accurate names and traits that apply to Civ leaders to satisfy nitpickers.

Was not really referring to people like you though; note I said "to posters who only have to say "it's just a game" as their contribution..." I fully respect people that have something substantial to offer in other areas, as I am one of them, but lately I've seen a lot of one line posts with little to substance just saying that "it's a game-deal with it" and my first though was, if you are that lackadasical about it then why are you here?

I wasn't referring to people who DO make good contributions but just feel that this particular instance is not important enough to make a big deal about, I myself have felt this way at times. But only to those who ONLY have that to say thread after thread, post after post. It get real old and real annoying after awhile.

I had a cool idea about the Phalanx/Hoplite. Rename it Hoplite, add a promotion Phalanx, give the hoplite the phalanx promotion.

and what would that promotion do?
+25% strenght

Lord Sankra said:
The phalanx was a formation, used by the Greeks, perfected by the Macedonians. If that's the logic, why isn't Infantry called "<insert favourite infantry formation>" or whatnot?

I would say Phalanx is a worthy name seeing as it was the Phalanx formation that was so powerful, and not the individual hoplites.

The Phalanx formation also included Skirmishers and mounted troops and in some instances was weak against archers. Still the formation was still popular well into the Roman era but it was first thought to be used by the ancient Egyptian armies.

In the Napleonic wars, infantry formed squares when threatened by Cavalry. It's not how good the unit is but the way you use it...

The Navy Seal said:
Then the Planx promotion could be +25% vs melee & mounted, & -25% vs archery.

You'd be hard pressed to bring down a phalanx with arrows unless you flank them and hit them in the back or on the non shield side. The long spears grant aditional protection against missiles, in combination with armor and shields.

The game devs put in names that would be recognizable for each Civ, not neccesarily for them actually being their special unit in the millitary. That is the way all games are done, for recognization.

Top Bottom