1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Praetyre's Little SMAC Mod

Discussion in 'Alpha Centauri' started by Praetyre, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Praetyre

Praetyre King

Ello. This little project of mine started with a personal nanomod to address what I viewed to be an imbalance in Free Market's penalties, and has since grown to a more extensive rebalancing of SMAC's social engineering choices. Overall, each social engineering choice should offer as many penalties as it does advantages, resulting in a greater and sharper distinction between the very factions and ideologies that make up the core of SMAC's story and gameplay, and yielding these policies a greater sense of "personality".

The SE's are now as follows:
    Spoiler :
    :c5citystate:Politics:c5citystate:

Police State
    +2 POLICE
    +2 PROBE (shifted from Fundamentalism. A closed society with greater restriction on the flow of information, such as China or North Korea, is obviously going to be less vulnerable to infiltration by foreign subversives)
    -2 EFFICIENCY
    -2 TALENT (the suppresion of the academic class and individual ambition results in both greater rebellion from the best and brightest and necessitates the very measures police states champion in the first place)

Democratic
    +2 EFFICIENCY
    +2 GROWTH
    -2 PROBE (much like Knowledge, Democratic societies value free flow of information in the form of public discourse and open political processes, which are easier targets for foreign subversives than police states or theocracies)
    -2 POLICE (ditto. Also democracies permit greater degrees of political independence and expression to their citizens, which can allow countercultural and radical movements to proliferate)

Fundamentalist
    +2 MORALE (balancing out positives and negatives equally)
    +2 SUPPORT (swapped from Police State)
    -2 RESEARCH

:c5gold:Economy:c5gold:

Free Market
    +2 ECONOMY
    -3 PLANET
    -3 SUPPORT (free market economies are oriented towards the production of consumer goods, rather than the production of arms and other tools of war at the command of government planners. In game terms, a Free Market faction will be militarily isolationist and economically globalist, only maintaining a small standing army for combating the native incursions spawned by it's pollution)

Planned
    +2 GROWTH
    +1 INDUSTRY
    -3 EFFICIENCY (balancing out advantages with penalties. A Planned economy will either have to make due with bureaucratic efficiency and corruption in exchange for greater control of industry, combat growing social unrest extend it's approach to economics to the whole of society with Police State or cauterize these effects by implementing a democratic system of government)

Green
    +2 PLANET
    +2 EFFICIENCY
    -2 GROWTH
    -1 INDUSTRY (balancing out again. Industry is strong enough a factor to count as a sufficient weight against this SE)

:c5capital:Values:c5capital:

Power
    Unchanged

Knowledge
    +2 RESEARCH
    +2 TALENT (should be fairly self explanatory. Also, efficiency has been shifted around a bit)
    -2 PROBE

Wealth
    Unchanged

:scan:Future Society:scan:

Cybernetic
    +2 EFFICIENCY
    +2 TALENT (why would a Cybernetic society be eco-friendly? You'd think they'd be all about technofying Planet in the name of progress...)
    +2 RESEARCH
    -3 POLICE
    -1 GROWTH (same reasoning as the cyborgs. Plus, it must be expensive to cyborgize every kid properly, not to mention the inherent minority such a transhuman, intellectual movement would be...)
    -1 PLANET (see above. Technology replacing nature, folks)
    -1 PROBE (same reasoning as Knowledge. I can only imagine what you could do if you hacked the brain of a cyborg)

Eudaimonic
    +2 GROWTH
    +2 ECONOMY
    +2 INDUSTRY
    -3 MORALE (balancing out again)
    -2 SUPPORT (exact same reasoning as the original gave for morale, plus balancing)
    -1 POLICE (ditto. Basically, Eudaimonic societies sacrifice military capability for becoming an economic powerhouse)

Thought Control
    +2 POLICE
    +2 MORALE
    +2 PROBE
    -3 RESEARCH (diversification and shifting around of bonuses and penalties, both for Future Societies and in general. Also, provides a subtle parallel to the enforced technological stasis of many a dystopia. The new Datalinks description says it all.

Just download the attachments, extract into your SMACX folder and enjoy.

Thus far, it's for SMACX only, but I don't see why you couldn't get it working under SMAC with a simple copy-and-paste job. Feel free to comment, suggest, praise or critique. Tis my first attempt at modding this venerable giant, and I hope I can make someone's game that much funner.

Attached Files:

2. Bibor

Bibor Doomsday Machine

You might first want to take into account:
    a) every faction's bonus and its allowed combination of social policies
    b) tune the social policies so that each faction has two or more interesting choices to choose from.

That's what really matters. Policies by themselves are irrelevant.

Also note that at least half of the policies below -3 or above 3 have minimal or no impact. For example, maximum probe and planet are +3.

3. civac

civac Warlord

I like you changes to government policies a lot. The change to Free Market might be good as well, -3 Support is harsh but it balances the huge benefit of +2 Economics nicely. That is, it is well balanced until clean reactors are available. Beyond that point, your new FM would be the most powerful economic policy by far. Moreover, I don't agree with the nerfs to Planned and Green. They are not overpowered in the base game at all and your new FM is better than the old one on balance.

Adjustmests to Values are also odd. You leave the extremely powerful Wealth as it is, considerably improve Knowledge (might be OK) but do not buff Power which is so bad it is pretty much unusable.

Bibor already mentioned that you need to take faction bonuses into account. For instance, believers can now run FM for the entire game, which is not neccesarily bad but should make the a powerhouse.

4. Kilkakon

Kilkakon King

Good to see people tinkering away! I like the use of emotions to designate the different sections, nice touch. :)

My thoughts:

• PROBE breaks with a value of +4. Might want to make sure that +3 is the highest value possible.
    • Green looks very underpowered. Planned looks only useful in the very early game before the efficiency becomes totally crippling.
    • Thought Control has the same tactical use as a Punishment Sphere--as soon as it's chosen, you're going to lag behind horribly so mobilise for final planetary conquest instantly. Of course other civics might balance it out but you get the idea.
    • Knowledge is by far the best value available. Go Knowledge, put a bit of effort into Psych and watch every base go into Golden Age.
    • I like the new Free Market. Completely broken if Clean Reactors are made a priority. :D

Fun stuff! :goodjob:

5. Praetyre

Praetyre King

Righto then, here's a potential second revision, based on rethinking the "weight" given to bonuses or penalties (I'm aiming for each social choice to give an equal number of advantages and disadvantages, but I may have underrated the power of the unused Talent social factor, not to mention the aforementioned minimums and effects of efficiency) and I've come up with a potential second revision, which differs from the first insomuch as:

• Free Market is given -2 GROWTH, both to reflect the total -8 penalty it originally received and to reflect the effect of economic development on birth rate.
    • Planned is reverted to vanilla settings, due to efficiency's new "weight".
    • Green is consequently given -2 INDUSTRY. This is both to limit the strength (much as with the Cult of Planet) of green military strategy, because, like Free Market with Clean Reactors, the Cloning Vats makes Green the most powerful Economy choice in the game, and because growth penalties have been given to Free Market.
    • Power's -2 INDUSTRY penalty is replaced by -3 PLANET, due to the eco-effects of arms factories and weapons testing, to again nerf green strategies and to keep warmongers on their toes, lest mindworms give them hell on the home front. -1 TALENT is also given, since you're basically sending potential Einstein's and Rembrandts to their deaths through conscription and power struggles.
    • Knowledge now only has +1 TALENT, due to that factor's sheer power.
    • Wealth is given -3 PLANET, for balance reasons and to encourage the sort of Morganite "small, isolationist and wealthy" play which weak troops and strong mind worms engender.

6. Kilkakon

Kilkakon King

Could you post a short list of all the civics please? Makes it easier for me to see into your head. :D

E.g.
    Free Market
    +2 ECONOMY
    -3 PLANET
    -3 SUPPORT
    -2 GROWTH

7. Praetyre

Praetyre King

Sure (haven't listed Politics or Future, since they're unchanged from the stats at the top):

Economics:
    Spoiler :

Free Market
    +2 ECONOMY
    -3 PLANET
    -3 SUPPORT
    -2 GROWTH
    Planned
    +2 GROWTH
    +1 INDUSTRY
    -1 EFFIC
    Green
    +2 PLANET
    +2 EFFIC
    -2 INDUSTRY

Values:
    Spoiler :

Power
    +2 MORALE
    +2 SUPPORT
    -3 PLANET
    -1 TALENT
    Knowledge
    +2 RESEARCH
    +1 TALENT
    -2 PROBE
    Wealth
    +1 INDUSTRY
    +1 ECONOMY
    -2 MORALE
    -3 PLANET

8. Kilkakon

Kilkakon King

Definitely a lot closer there Praetyre. :) I couldn't really say too much more at this stage... everything looks like it has pros and cons. Knowledge is the only one that sounds out as being too good--perhaps a random -1 penalty to match up with the others? :)

9. debulm

debulm Chieftain

I always am trying to balance out the social endgineering, and this one seems plausible.

It all depends on what similarities there are on EARTH, and what you imagine the system to be like on PLANET.

I always was unhapppy with the balancing of FREE MARKET, PLANNED, and GREEN, because it always seemed that green did not have an industry minimization, and planned did not have enough industry, and free market never worked. Every time I played I relied on the same social engineering, but with modifications, I can keep it interesting every time.

I do like your ideas though, I will post some of my own too.

Thank you.

10. Praetyre

Praetyre King

You're welcome, debulm :)

About Knowledge: I myself had doubts about keeping it's +2 RESEARCH bonus, given the sheer weight and power of Research as a bonus. Perhaps, since this mod includes an emphasis on diversification of bonuses and penalties, nerfing the +2 RESEARCH to a +1?

11. civac

civac Warlord

Balance is better now. Values are fine, maybe give a small penalty to Knowledge as Killarkon suggested (maybe -1 Police?). Btw, your overestimate the research value, it's not really as strong as you think.

Adding -2 Growth to Free Market is a great idea. But I'd reduce the penalty to Support to -2 now. As it is, Free Market would be all but unusable pre-Clean Reactors. Moreover, Morgan with Free Market would have to pay 2 Minerals as Support for each non-clean unit. That's a bit harsh. Granted, Morgan doesn't really need Free Market but being a Marketeer is part of his unique flavour.

I disagree strongly with the change to Green, -2 Industry is way too much. Don't do things like that. :D Even with only -1 Industry, Green would arguably be weaker than Planned and Free Market. (On the other hand, a penalty to Industry does fit the theme of a Green economy but -1 should be enough.)

12. Praetyre

Praetyre King

Interesting idea with Support, but restricting Morgan's military capability is part of my plan to change the dynamics of his game strategy. Not only does putting him in a mineral-bind hamper his ability to wage wars in a truly non-capitalist fashion, but it puts the pressure on him to exploit the living hell out of Planet, creating a constant challenge to balance Morgan's need for defense with the further need for defense (via increased native life activity) created by all the mines and boreholes he's building. It also encourages a more Morganite style of military tactics, which I refer to as "mercenaries" (units, often ones rushed with excess cash reserves, used only temporarily for the duration of the war and immediately disbanded afterwards to save minerals). Eventually, of course, technology permits Morgan to maintain a much larger force, much as the US went from being isolationist to a military superpower over the course of the many political and technological developments of the 20th century. Basically, he's a small, weak-at-the-start faction who can develop, if you handle him well, into one of the most powerful players in both a military and economic sense over the course of the game. Sort of like a risky startup business.

There are three reasons I decided to give Green such a strong penalty to Industry. First, as you mentioned, it fits the theme, and Free Market has been given a Growth penalty instead. Secondly, the power of Efficiency combined with less domestic threats from native attacks (not to mention the potential to gain more troops in these attacks!) led me to conclude Green needed a fairly strong counterweight to stop it being used to launch an eco-blitzkrieg. Thirdly, and this relates to my second point, I feel that one of the very, very few flaws of the original game was the fact that eco-warfare was a far more viable and potent strategy compared to that of conventional warfare. Making you rely on capturing the native life while inhibiting your ability to breed your own mind worm army forces you to think more strategically about how you use your worms, rather than sacrificing them en-masse as psychic cannon fodder. I'm going towards green being a more guerilla style of warfare, with stealthy, regenerating, highly mobile yet few in numbers native life launching take-no-prisoners, hit and run attacks against slower yet more numerous traditional armies. In this regard, I was inspired by the Forgotten of the Tiberian Sun series.

13. Kilkakon

Kilkakon King

Excuse my brief comment as I am beyond tired at the moment, but from memory PSI loses a lot of effectiveness when Fusion units arrive.

14. civac

civac Warlord

Killarkon, that's not true. Fusion units arn't better in PSI combat than their fission counterparts. (The SMAC combat estimator says they are but that's a mistake.)

The problem with making penalties too harsh is that the respective policies simply won't be used. For instance, Morgan can reach +2 Economy without Free Market. Since he can't use Planned and Greens penalties are also crippling he might just keep a simple economy until clean reactors or maybe for the entire game. (That's what I would do, at least.)

Green economies -2 industry hinders your development immensely. It does not merely affect your military. You pay 20% more for every Former, Colony Pod, garrison unit, Recycling Tank, Network Node and so forth. Again, I would not use it and even go as far as to say that it would be suicidal to do so. The only use of Green would be an early worm rush against a close opponent. From what you wrote this is not what you want to accomplish.

15. Kilkakon

Kilkakon King

Ah sorry about my failing memory there. It has been quite some time since I've played vanilla SMAC/X so I'm talking mainly from memory. :)

I think that -1 Industry is probably enough of a penalty for Green. Growth, Industry and Economy are probably the three main stats of concern.

16. Praetyre

Praetyre King

Morgan's "antithesis" civic is Planned? I always thought it was Green.. that certainly puts things in a new light...

Considering that, plus the overemphasis I placed on fungal mineral output (as testing has shown me), I can see a much stronger case for nerfing the industry penalty. -1 it is.

Anyway, without further ado (Shakespearian or otherwise), here's version 2 of my little SMAC mod. My own testing shows it to work just fine, but it's always good to get a second computer's opinion, so take it out for a spin, if you like:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0MOEI3UV

17. Impaler[WrG]

Impaler[WrG] Civ4:Col UI programmer

Nice set of SE changes, I've done some very similar re-balancing of SE, though mine are slightly less radical in some ways (I personally don't use Talent factor because it lacks an Icon or listing) but I have done some interesting stuff with the 'starter' SE choices, by applying a number of across the board penalties I start all factions off at an equal footing that while rough is still quite survivable. It also has the benefit of encouraging the AI's which are notorious at not using available SE choices to get out of the starters. Finally it lets me put certain limits on how high some values can get before Future Society choices open up.

Here are my SE tables in full

Spoiler :

Frontier, None, -POLICE, -SUPPORT, -MORALE, +RESEARCH
    Police State, DocLoy, ++POLICE, ++SUPPORT, --EFFIC, +PROBE
    Democratic, EthCalc, +EFFIC, ++GROWTH, ----POLICE, +RESEARCH
    Fundamentalist, Brain, ++MORALE, ++PROBE, --RESEARCH, +POLICE

Simple, None, -ECONOMY, -EFFIC, -INDUSTRY, +RESEARCH
    Free Market, IndEcon, ++ECONOMY, --PLANET, ---SUPPORT, +GROWTH
    Planned, PlaNets, ++GROWTH, +INDUSTRY, --ECONOMY, +SUPPORT
    Green, EnvEcon, ++PLANET, ++EFFIC, ---GROWTH, +SUPPORT

Survival, None, -MORALE, -GROWTH, -PROBE, +RESEARCH
    Power, MilAlg, ++MORALE, ++SUPPORT, --INDUSTRY, +PROBE
    Knowledge, Cyber, ++RESEARCH, +EFFIC, --PROBE, +PLANET
    Wealth, IndExt, +INDUSTRY, +ECONOMY, --MORALE, +EFFIC

None, None, +RESEARCH, -PLANET, -GROWTH, -ECONOMY
    Cybernetic, DigSent, ++EFFIC, ++ECONOMY, ++RESEARCH, ---GROWTH
    Eudaimonic, Eudaim, ++GROWTH, +INDUSTRY, ++PLANET, ---MORALE
    Thought Control, WillPow, ++POLICE, ++MORALE, ++PROBE, ---SUPPORT

Notice that I apply a +1 Research to all the starters, this gives a cumulative 40% research boost at the start of the game. I prefer a long game and use tech stagnation but the resulting slowdown in the early game is so bad that I needed something that would help lift the early game. The player and AI will gradually move out of the starter choices and lose the research bonuses as they move into the mid game. Also notice that None Future Society's -1 Planet and -1 Economy have significant effects on the Gaians and Morgans. The Gians can't capture worms until they go for Green Econ, this nerfs the devastating worm-wrangler strategy. Likewise Morgan is the only faction able to get the coveted +1 Energy every tile before the opening of Future Society choices using only FreeMarket, everyone else must combine FreeMarket and Wealth ware Morgan needs only one of the two, this helps cement Morgan as the mogul he should be while actually increasing his options.

18. Kilkakon

Kilkakon King

-1 PLANET to None would make it a lot harder to move about Fungus, but I'd agree that it makes Green strategies start a bit later in the game.

19. bhavv

bhavv Glorious World Dictator

Some rebalance ideas I made using some similar suggestions to the OP (I thought I already posted this, but it doesnt seem to have gone through, anyway here is the final version of my idea):

Spoiler :
    Firstly I gave each social trait a base number of points based on its power:

3 points - Economy
    2 points - Industry, Research
    1 point - Support, Police, Morale, Efficiency, Talent, Growth, Probe, Planet

Secondly after trying out lots of different ideas and changes, I picked ones based on their synergies and attempting to nerf powerful combinations while still keeping them attractive to use. I made of the changes based on giving each policy roughly equal +ve and -ve points.

Politics:

Police State - +2 Police, +2 Support, -2 Efficiency, -2 Talent
    Democracy - +2 Efficiency, +2 Growth, -2 Police
    Fundamentalist - +2 Morale, +2 Probe, -2 research

I did try out the OP's idea of swapping the Support and Probe bonuses between Police State and Fundamentalist, but it didnt work out for a few strategy reasons:

- Yang is already powerful enough with the normal police state. He doesnt need +2 probe to make him even more Imba. The -2 talent nerf is good idea as a slight reduction to the power of him being able to use 3 police units and hardly ever having to build drone reducing facilities.

- Miriam already gets +2 support and +1 probe. Another +2 support doesnt really help her out too much, while the +2 probe maximizes her probe rating to +3. This is very Vital for a Miriam player to balance the massive -40% research along with her increased Military power. The extra +1 morale also makes her a lot tougher.

- Democracy's negative is changed to -2 Police.

Economics

Free Market - +2 Economy, -3 Planet, -3 support, -3 Police
    Planned - +3 Growth, +1 Industry, -2 Efficiency, -1 Economy
    Green - +2 Efficiency, +2 Planet, -2 Growth, -1 Police

- I really liked the change that the OP had suggested for free market, not due to it being any kind of a nerf or a buff to free market, but rather because it allowed a much more strategic re-balance of the -5 police rating. The -3 support would cripple Morgan as both AI or Player controlled, so I removed his innate -1 support to balance this. He is still nerfed overall because he can no longer delay Democracy as a method not to take a -3 support hit, but this also now applies to everyone that want to run Free Market. Running Free Market + Democratic will be difficult for War, you would need to swap to Either Police State for the extra support, losing a lot of efficiency and putting all your extra energy to waste, or to fundamentalist giving you +2 morale and Probe, while slowing down your research (a much more valid and sensible choice, using Free Market + Fundamentalist was always a strong choice for Morgan during war time, allowing him to use his extra cash on covert ops without having to rely on a huge army prior to clean reactors).

--- Edit added -3 Police to Free Market, and reduced Democracy down to -2 Police.

- Together with the -2 police from Democratic, Green now requires a change of your Politics out of Democracy to effectively wage wars. The extra -1 Police hurts Deidre the most with her innate -1 Police, but having +6 Efficiency and +3 planet for her native army is still very powerful, and as most people would know Deidre is very powerful as both an AI and Human controlled faction.

- Planned is reworked to +2 Growth, +2 Industry, and -2 Economy. This makes it a lot more suitable for rapid empire expansion without reducing the maximum number of bases you can build, with the cost of a huge Economy penalty.

Values:

Power - No Change
    Wealth - +1 Economy, +1 Industry, -4 Morale
    Knowledge - +2 research +1 Talent -2 Probe, -2 Police

- Knowledge has its mostly useless +1 Efficiency changed to +1 Talent for similar reasons to the OP's suggestion, but +2 talents would be far too powerful. Knowledge now has -2 Police added to it. This means that running it with Democracy gives you -4 Police making this combination unsuitable for wartime.

- Wealth takes a maximum -4 Morale Hit making you're units far weaker in combat as what it was meant to do.

- Both these tweaks to Wealth and Knowledge should make Power more appealing during wartime, despite keeping its -2 Industry penalty

Future Society:

Cybernetic - +2 Efficiency, +2 Research, +1 Talent, -2 Police, -2 Probe, -3 Growth
    Eudaimonic - +2 Growth, +2 Economy, +2 Industry, -4 Morale, -5 Police, -3 Planet
    Thought Control - +2 Police, +2 Morale, +2 Probe, -2 Economy

- Cybernetic is rebalanced with -2 Support and -3 Growth. This still makes it viable as a wartime and economic policy, but with heavier penalties to balance its positives. You would need to Combine it with Democratic, and / or Planned to still allow your cities to grow well, unless you have the cloning Vats or build the project that removes its negatives.

- Eudaimonic is a very powerful peacetime civic, +2 Econ and +2 indus is a huge boost ... AND very overpowered when it could also easily support a huge war. The negatives cripple it into a peacetime only policy, if you want to go to war you will have to use another.

- Thought Control - The best wartime choice, at the cost of penalizing your Economy.

20. bhavv

bhavv Glorious World Dictator

Hmmmm, after testing out lots of ideas including the ones above and playtesting several factions, I decided against a lot of the changes as they broke the game too much.

In the end I have settled with making the following changes:
    Spoiler :

Police State - Changed to +2 Police, +2 Support, -2 Economy
    Knowledge - Changed to +2 Research, +1 Industry, -2 Probe
    Wealth - Changed to +1 Economy, +1 Efficiency, -2 Morale
    Cybernetic - Changed to +2 Efficiency, +2 Industry, +2 Research, -3 Growth
    Eudaimonic - Changed to +2 Planet, +2 Growth, +2 Economy, -3 Morale

The main game breaking thing with the original policies was having the two most powerful boosts - Economy and Industry on the same policies. This ended up giving you lots more cash, and cheaper rush buys which made it broken. I changed this to have Industry together with the Research, and paired economy with whatever was removed in the process.

Some things I discovered while playtesting various changes:

Buffing Fundamentalism to +2 Morale absolutely broke Miriam. She easily Conquered the Spartans and the Hive (as an AI in several tests), and absolutely no one could defend themselves against her.

Changing the negative of Planned from -2 Effic to -2 Economy absolutely broke it. It became far too powerful with only causing 1 energy loss per base instead of around 2-5, and not reducing the max city cap. This worked a lot less to hinder the Hive (normally the most powerful AI and Human faction), than it did to massively overpower anyone capable of using Democracy + Planned + Wealth (I wanted the -2 economy to weaken the combination of Planned + Wealth for Rexing, but it only made it stronger with more energy and cities than -2 effic had).

- The workaround I made to this were the Wealth and Knowledge changes, and moving the -2 Economy to Police State instead. This made some very interesting changes:

- Yang would now have -3 Econ after swapping to police state, but regardless of now having -2 energy per base, he was still massively overpowered. Police State, Planned + Knowledge now became my firm favorite combination on Yang, and while very energy staved his growth, industry, and science via specialists was still powerful, although he could easily become the top civ and dominate everyone well before Knowledge became available, so the Knowledge change didnt really over buff him.

Other leaders can now use Police State without being completely crippled by the -2 Efficiency. With the original police state, no one but Yang was capable of using it, and maybe the Cyborgs, Deidre and Cha Dawn (with Green). But Green + Police state was ALWAYS weaker than either Green + Democratic, or Democratic + Planned. Changing the Penalty to -2 Economy means it still cant be used with Free Market (or it can, but canceling out the bonus of FM would make it pointless compared to using it with Green or Planned), and it now becomes a valid wartime choice for all the leaders (this should greatly help out the squishier economic minded Factions, E.G. Morgan can now use Police State, Green and Wealth, breaking his Econ even at 0 but allowing him to overcome his support penalty to field a larger army before clean reactors, though after clean reactors are available, Fundamentalism + FM or Green + Wealth is still far more powerful for him. Santiago can now wage war in Police State).

- Morgan uses Democratic, Free Market and Wealth. The extra +1 Efficiency instead of the +1 Industry balance the loss of 10% cheaper rush jobs, and doesnt really affect him much at all. I also tried +2 Effic, +1 Economy on Wealth, but that became the single most unbelievably strong powercreep and I quickly abandoned the idea (Morgan with +4 Econ and +4 Paradigm Efficiency, or 1 less econ for anyone else??? Lolwut). Leaving wealth at +1 Effic and +1 Econ made it powerful enough with free market without giving paradigm economy on top.

- Values - Power. I tried to make this better, if only to buff Santiago who is the weakest military AI due to her industry hit. The first thing I tried was reducing the penalty to just -1 Industry. This barely helped Santiago at all as she was already behind with her innate -1 Industry, but all it did was superpower Yang even more than giving Miriam an extra morale did (Yang with Police State, Planned and Power - +4 support, +2 Police, +2 Morale, +1 Industry .... BROKEN BROKEN BROKEN BROKEN BROKEN!!!!). The -2 industry on Power is simply there to make it absolutely unattractive for Yang players. Sorry Santiago, but giving you a minor buff compared to overpowering Yang even more wont actually help you, because you will still get Pwned by either Yang or Miriam anyway). I also thought about buffing sanitagos innate police bonus to +2 ... but the change to police state means that she can now wage war in Police State, Free Market and Power with +4 Morale, +4 support, -2 Police, -3 Industry and 0 in both Economy and Efficiency ... This would be too complex for the AI to make use of, but it should allow her to become as powerful as Yang or Miriam when I play her.