Praise the Victories

Waywocket

Warlord
I had an almost embarrassingly easy Deity win as the Boers in Scramble for Africa last night - failed my practice run on Emperor, then decided just to go for Deity anyway and got lucky: I didn't get the turn 1 double DoW from my European neighbours. In fact, Portugal stayed peaceful with me the entire game, and England and Germany didn't even bother with me until they'd wiped out the Zulus. This meant I was not at war with any European power until about turn 50.

In the interest of full disclosure: I did reload once, to avoid the double DoW from Germany and England by declaring war on Germany pre-emptively. It might have been possible to survive against both, but I didn't feel like staying up all night to find out. I think it then helped that I recovered a worker from Germany that used to belong to England, so I got the modifier for returning it, plus I was constantly giving them favourable trade deals, and it does seem like the AI is slightly less likely to pick you as its target if they'd lose out from it.

I didn't think to save right as the game loaded, but I've attached the turn 0 autosave, where all I've done is move my starting units.

In this pre-victory screenshot, you can see the vanguard of Victoria's troops.
Spoiler :

Attachments

• AutoSave_Initial_0000 AD-1881-January.Civ5Save
    533.4 KB · Views: 173
  • 2014-06-10_00001.jpg
    2014-06-10_00001.jpg
    444.4 KB · Views: 1,300
Top Bottom