Pre-DaftNES4: Born of Stardust

I almost want to say Wall-E, but that probably represents a horrible misconception of the sci-fi universe Wall-E was most likely based off of.

Um.. I suppose the backstory could be kind of seen as influenced by that (albeit unintentionally), but no, the theft is of a far greater magnitude than such a simple connection. ;)

First person to point out where I stole "my" ideas from wins my eternal respect. :p

MGS Peacewalker and it's giant robots firing rockets everywhere

Announcement: the galaxy is now full. Anyone posting race/faction descriptions now does so at their own risk.

Still working... The turn 0 map will look something like the following, except with spaceships that I still have to draw. Stats and stuff are all just about done. The new races have all ended up in the bottom-middle section:

Spoiler :

Also sorry for the general lack of feedback, I have been mostly working offline and then forgetting to reply. One thing comes to mind -> nobody can have grey, silver or white as a colour, as those will represent neutral/indepdent/rebels etc (things not big or organised enough to have stats).

First person to point out where I stole "my" ideas from wins my eternal respect. :p

@mgsmuhammad I realise this now, and I must say I dissaprove of copy-pasting in general. I reserve the right to rename your Peace Walker to the Flying Ninja Hamster :p. However I like the idea of a semi-sentient race of metal capsules.

Oh my god, Daftpanzer, those stellar IDs are so juicy. I love your spriting. I have absolutely no complaints. I really like how you translated my faction into those stats, and even gave me a special bonus, and an icon. (Even though you promised it on the first page, this looks so good.)

I will write a story either tomorrow or by Update Zero. :)

@lord_joakim such praise is really not necessary, but you can continue to post things like this if you want :) Maybe you should wait until you see your stats, also I thought that Nahuja should be netural/independent at the start, with some penalties to your culture if you want to re-integrate with those old industrialists.

Looks good, though the Mover icon appears very similar to a set of male human genitals.

Obviously, it is so we can make all kinds of jokes :)

I too shall be writing a story. Although I do wish the Adenari had some sort of racial bonus (*ehhhhem*) :p

And that's either an orbital platform or a Borg cube next to Elhadros. I deem it the latter, enemies of the Great House Confederation shall be assimilated.

I assume my new faction actually designed to be human was rejected. Great now I am going to feel compelled to stay up to re-write the Liirr'il'lai as a human faction. I'll keep the system name so you don't have to change the map Daft.

Awesome map lets hope this lasts a long time once you make the big/real version of course. Also I am thinking up a story for the naming of my race's home star........now I need to think of a name for the star....

I too shall be writing a story. Although I do wish the Adenari had some sort of racial bonus (*ehhhhem*) :p

And that's either an orbital platform or a Borg cube next to Elhadros. I deem it the latter, enemies of the Great House Confederation shall be assimilated.

:) I'm afraid that is simply a shipyard, which is an upgraded super industry I thought you should have to start with.

I assume my new faction actually designed to be human was rejected. Great now I am going to feel compelled to stay up to re-write the Liirr'il'lai as a human faction. I'll keep the system name so you don't have to change the map Daft.

@Vert I just sent a belated PM to you about this. I really meant to reply last night, apologies.

And I have sent you an almost-instantaneous reply with my third race/faction idea for this game. You had better like this one Daft or I'll not sleep tonight! God this NES has been a good biology workout.

Please take it easy, Vertinari! RE your PM, I'm afraid Lucky got in first with the insectoids. IMO, a variety of alien forms is realistic enough (as opposed to all human-like), we don't have to into the biochemistry. Here I have some ideas for possible NPC's:

Hivemind Crustaceans (polymorphic lobster people?)
Giant sentinent Snail/Slug/Porcupines
Wierd conical quadrupeds with a single hand/mouth manipulator
Armoured amphibious serpentoids

@mgsmuhammad I realise this now, and I must say I dissaprove of copy-pasting in general. I reserve the right to rename your Peace Walker to the Flying Ninja Hamster :p. However I like the idea of a semi-sentient race of metal capsules.

I apologise. ;)

I originally planned something along the lines of the Hekatonkheires (Hundred-handed men) of Greek mythos, but.. So many humanoids already.. :sad:

@lord_joakim such praise is really not necessary, but you can continue to post things like this if you want :) Maybe you should wait until you see your stats, also I thought that Nahuja should be netural/independent at the start, with some penalties to your culture if you want to re-integrate with those old industrialists.

I know it must seem silly, I just really love your sprites. It's not that I'm sucking up or anything, I'll try to contain myself. You happen to hit that spot where I like NESes the most...

And stats, bwah, I didn't join the NES to win any wars, I joined to try rebuilding my galactic heritage. All I hope is to get a good experience out of this or succed the challenges I present to myself. A weak nation isn't less interesting to play - and indeed not one that must reunite with the barbarian tribes of a chemical homeworld! And write stories, possibly. Something showed up tomorrow though, and I'm not completely certain I can manage a story by then. I'd also rather an update 0 before I do any paperwork.

tl;dr:
Setting > Stats
Pretty colors > Stats

(Not that I don't appreciate stats of course, they just can't ruin anything.)

Semi-final race details:

Spoiler race attributes :

Now working on the spaceships and then update 0. Should get started tommorrow hopefully.

Thanks again for all the contributions, I am rather interested to see where this goes :)

Eagerly awaiting update zero.

Gasp! Stealing my idea of pixelated ships and then trying to one up it with colours! Have you no shame Daft??!

Also I will take ships that aren't balanced around the drive axis to mean there is reactionless drives and energy fields?

Gasp! Stealing my idea of pixelated ships and then trying to one up it with colours! Have you no shame Daft??!

:) Hey, feel free to make your own graphics, so long as they are roughly to that scale.

Also I will take ships that aren't balanced around the drive axis to mean there is reactionless drives and energy fields?

Umm.... Yes? Actually those are supposed to be balanced around the drive axis (axes), and also I just noticed they look like sex toys. I find this quite disturbing.

There is only one drive axis, i.e. the axis along which the engines of the ship applies its force to provide delta-V.

Reactionless drives and so on are indeed very cool, the problem is that they turn any ship into something capable of smashing planets to dust with its speed alone, and since the majority of players are genocidal little ******s (;), but also :( considering the number of requests I've had in SysNES) that can create issues.

For the Choon being natural pilots- does that imply natural astronauts? Also, I picture our space travel of basically being a Choon who's attached a few simple drives to itself and sealed vulnerable portions of its body inside solid shells.

Top Bottom