1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

PRE-DominatrNES II - Sign Ups

Discussion in 'Never Ending Stories' started by dominatr, Nov 25, 2012.

1. dominatr

dominatr Smoke Jaguar

I'm surprised nobody has claimed a civilization is South America. An entire continent is empty of players, and the British Isles are the most crowded part of the map. :lol:

2. ZeletDude

ZeletDude The Lion

My info will be in later. Can't wait for this to start :D

3. Bair_the_Normal

Bair_the_Normal 全は禪

Nation’s name: Rìoghachd na h-Alba [Kingdom of Alba], Albannaich

Capital City: Breichinn [Brechin]

Leader: Rí Alban [King of Alba]/Cináed mac Ailpín

Place Names:

Dùn Èideann/Edinburgh

Glaschu/Glasgow

Inbhir Nis/Inverness

Obar Dheathain/Aberdeen

Societal Structure:

Moraireachd: Essentially the Albannaich nobility. The entire Royal Family, excepting the Rí Alban himself of course, belongs to the moraireachd, as well as a number of other privileged and educated the folk. The moraireachd comprise the large Deichtaigh, which is, in essence, the Albannaich bureaucracy.

Dùndiùc: The powerful local rulers of Alba. The Rí Alban is technically only the Dùndiùc of Breichinn, the grand capital of Alba. However, it is that status that gives him power over all Alba. Every Dùndiùc is expected to send tribute and soldiers to, as well as regular reports to, the Rí Alban.

Gaisgeach: The warrior class of Alba, every gaisgeach is absolutely loyal to the Rí Alban.

Ceannaiche: The "merchant" class of Alba. Really, the ceannaiche are one of the driving forces of the Albannaich crown and the Albannaich economy, for they are the lifeblood and one of the most important peasant classes in Alba.

Tuathanach: The farmers of Alba. The tuathanach, ranging from extremely wealthy and successful to dirt-poor, it is indeed the tuathanach that feed both Alba and the ceannaiche, making them a very important class, if not well respected.

Brief History: The northern-most state in Albann Mhòr [Great Britain], the Rìoghachd na h-Alba is a rather isolated state in a crowded area. The Albannaich peoples were first united by the great and first Rí Alban Ailpín.

4. dominatr

dominatr Smoke Jaguar

Before this happens again, i want to make a statement about the names of civilizations. To refrain from confusion, i will refer to your civilization by the name it is listed as on the front page. You may feel free to use alternate names in your RP and own discussions, but Scotland will be referred to as Scotland, England will be referred to as England, and Greece will be referred to as Greece. For example, It only causes confusion when a player selects Russia and wishes to be called Kievan Rus'.

I am not imposing this to limit your creativity, just to keep things orderly and organized for myself. With over 200 civilizations to keep track of, i want to keep things consistent so it doesn't cause any confusion. Do not feel limited to using only the name i have you listed as in stories and bits of creativity. Just do not be alarmed when i use the chosen name from list on maps and updates, its just for the sake of keeping things organized. Fair enough? :)

5. Patchy

Patchy Emperor

Seems fine to me. When does the game start?

6. dominatr

dominatr Smoke Jaguar

sometime this weekend i will open up a thread, i just need to add a few civilizations in to areas like East Asia and northern North America.

7. SamSniped

SamSniped DJ Goodboye

OOC: So, Britain is Rome? Welp, playing a monarchy, then. In tribute to a story Tambien and I didn't finish :p
    IC/official (albeit rough) sign-up:

Nation: The Kingdom of Remia

Capital: Remia

Leader: King Remius Sillvius Auratus III

Government: Semi-Administrative Monarchy

Place Names: Remia, Alba Longa, Etrusca (neighbor to NE), Ostia

Societal Structure: I think the simplest explanation is a five-tiered pyramid.
    Top tier: King, his family, and highest nobility. This is the smallest group, and is the group that lives the best and controls most of the land. The king dictates the whole nation, controls the city of Remia, and appoints magistrates for the provinces of Remia, such as Alba Longa.
    Upper Tier: Most nobles, wealthiest merchants and craftsmen, and most experienced soldiers & generals. These families are the most respected, next to the top tier.
    Middle Tier: Citizens of the major cities, merchants and craftsmen, career soldiers. IRL middle-class families, they live a relatively good life.
    Lower Tier: Remian citizens in rural areas/towns, levies/soldiers who are in the army for the minimum time, and freedmen. Although they still live a decent life, usually most of their lives are spent working at their job. Largest group, although above the slaves.
    Bottom: Slaves and servants. Athough they can be freed from their servitude, such things rarely happen.

Brief History: All have heard the legend of Romulus and Remus. They were the twin sons of Rhea Silva, retook Alba Longa for their uncle when they became of age, and set off to build their own city. Romulus and Remus got in a debate over who should be the ruler, ultimately put up to the fate of the gods. Remus was declared leader, yet Romulus would not have such a thing, turning on his brother. Remus killed his poor brother, and built the throne room over his brother's site of death, to show who was the true king. The first Remus oversaw the construction of the ever-expanding city, and retook neighboring lands, including Alba Longa and the land of the Latium Plain. Now, five kings later, and King Remius Sillvius Auratus III rules over the glorious Kingdom of Remia.

8. Terrance888

Terrance888 Discord Reigns

OOC: All these tiered systems are almost exactly the same, with the odd twist of merchants being bottom every so often.

I swear, the next "fresh start" I'll have one where the slaves are on top of the food chain!

9. SamSniped

SamSniped DJ Goodboye

OOC: Well, I wanted to play a historical Roman Republic. But the British Empire is apparently the same culture as Rome, and is using almost all of the terms I would have used :/

10. ZeletDude

ZeletDude The Lion

Nation’s name: The Kingdom of Frisia (Frisian)

Capital City: Utrecht

Leader: King Willem I

Place Names: Utrecht, Ljouwert, Hams, Emden

Societal Structure: (classes, how people live, jobs)

Edelen - The Nobility of Frisia. The entire royal family, obviously belongs to this class, others that do include the following professions; priests, and people of royal blood (counts, dukes, etc). Rule the country

Winkelier - The Merchant and Business class of Frisia. This includes the richer businessmen, and the merchants. They are a highly respected class as they are seen to keep the country, and its markets going. Have many rights

Krijger - The soldier class, includes all members of the military besides the ones that are represented in the upper classes. Some rights

Boeren - The farmers and other low of the Kingdom, only the Slave class is lower. Few rights

Slaaf - The slaves, absolutely no rights.

Brief History:

Ill fill this is soon

edit - everyone is doing this setup, I wanted to be a more merchant based society.. :\ uhg

11. dominatr

dominatr Smoke Jaguar

you should still play as a historical roman republic, i believe that his aim with England was to base it off of england when it was ruled by rome. I'm not asking you to make up a civilization; if you signed up as rome, go ahead and be rome.

It's a bit different from the last DominatrNES, when i wanted you to create something original. This time, you're using a civilization that actually existed.

12. Daedwartin

Daedwartin Emperor

then Londonium, Roma, and Remia will be the latin based peoples.

13. Daedwartin

Daedwartin Emperor

actually, i think i have a system most likely to allow merchants near the top.

14. SamSniped

SamSniped DJ Goodboye

@GM-
    Oh.
    Okay.
    If I feel better tomorrow, I'll get it done.

15. Bair_the_Normal

Bair_the_Normal 全は禪

OOC: Whatever happened to that? I was so hyped for it. :p

EDIT: How about Baiyue or Nanzhao for East Asia? And I noticed that in the stats, you have both Siam and Thailand. Which one is which?

16. Terrance888

Doesn't really matter unless you play a merchant republic, now does it? ;). You still have a king.

EDIT: Actually, ignore me. I'm just whining. There is a reason why a certain types of systems are repeated throughout society.

Still going to have a slave-on-top for my next freshie, though.

17. dominatr

dominatr Smoke Jaguar

i'll have to do a bit or research on those two, and i do have a large amount of duplicates. Thailand and Siam, Cambodia and Khmer, Ottomans and Turkey. It's really just to increase the numbers of civilizations so there isn't just a handful in such a large region.

18. dominatr

dominatr Smoke Jaguar

Actually, before heading too far with this, i am considering shifting this more towards a true fresh start where the players don't choose from a list, but they create their own imaginary civilizations based off of real ones. Would that be a little easier? I feel like choosing from a list is too rigid and it would be a lot more fun if we strayed a bit from cemented history and made our own sort of thing. Does that sound a bit more interesting?

19. Patchy

Patchy Emperor

Erez already has a fresh start if that's what people are interested in. But I don't have an opinion either way really.

20. Terrance888

Well, I didn't really understand why we didn't do a true fresh start. If you tell us the reason for not doing that in the first place, then we can better determine how shifting towards that will change the game.