Pre-GodNES

zxcvbnm

The Nobody
GodNES

In this NES you play a god. You are powerful but not omnipotent, and there are lots of you.

Little more yet, as the world is empty.

Rules:

Creating:
In the Pre-NES phase you can create 10 things in the world, after making a god for yourself. These include (but aren't limited to)
Create terrain: you decide what the terrain of roughly about a square inch area is (2.5 x 2.5 cm on my monitor). This decides what kind of a world the world is.
Create realm: you create the entrance of your realm somewhere
Spawn creatures: you can spawn different kinds of creatures in the world. Either animal packs or 3 DI worth of mythical creatures of your own. Animal packs may die very quickly in areas they can't survive in.
Spawn humans: you can spawn a primitive tribe of 100 humans somewhere. Remember that they must be able to survive.

You also take at least one duty when creating. You can take more, but not less.

What you do in the creating phase decides what kind of a god you are: choose carefully.

Turns:
Turn length is one season. Four turns make a year.

Divine Intervention:
Divine Intervention
points (DI) are the source of all the actions of the gods affecting the world. Every action beyond chatting with other gods takes DI and the amount of DI allocated will define the power of the action, although it will also be affected by how in-character the action is for the god.

Getting DI:
Every god gets some DI every season. The amount is based on the god's power and influence in the world, and can be improved by increasing the sphere of one's power.

Spending DI:
When you send your orders, you should tell what you want to use your DI for, the goals of the actions and the priority of the spending, ie in which order the actions will be carried out if you don't have enough DI to do them all. Also you should note that other gods will most likely try to get involved in your areas, and be prepared to defend yourself from it.

Consuming DI:
In addition to spending to do specific things, your DI gets consumed by your normal actions which need not be specifically included in your orders, only exceptions. These consuming things include the everyday actions keeping the world running (such as making the sun shine on days for the sun god, or giving rains to farms for some other one, and so on); these are called duties and you pick some of them while creating the world. Each duty costs 1 DI in the beginning, but allows more influence. And also controlling your creatures consumes DI. The cost to control your creatures is the total DI cost to create them divided by five, ie for every five DI you spend to create creatures you need to pay one extra to control them. You can also let them run wild in the world, but don't complain if they do something you don't want them to.

Regular communicating with mortals (your priests and prophets) also consumes DI.

Sample spending orders might be like this:
(for a god of nature or something)

Quote:
8 DI to spend
-2 DI from regular actions (1 to control creatures, 1 to duty)

1. defend the forests [add tactics here]
2. create a giant boar near my realm (3 DI)
3. give visions to a villager in Kerti, of the power of the nature (1 DI)
4. send wild beasts to hunt the cattle of the people of Argan (2 DI)
[the numbers mean priority order]

Realms:
The realm of a god is the supernatural plane where he/she/it resides. Every god's realm has some kind of a connection to the physical world; a sacred place, a holy item or something else. Near the connection the god's power will be greatly enhanced, but if the realm is infilitrated, it is a great loss of influence and power.

Followers and faith:
You might want some humans to worship you. In that case, when you reveal yourself to them, or they learn about you some other way, you gain followers. These people usually do what you tell them to do, if you invest enough in making your will known to them. Faith is an important factor in defining how well your followers obey you. It is measured on a scale of
sceptical-weak-average-confident-strong-mindless-zombie
with sceptical meaning that they care about you very little, and zombie meaning that whatever you think of, they do.

Creatures:
No god is complete without mythical creatures. You can design your own, and place them around the world.

---

Your god template:

picture: [not necessary, but good pictures get bonus]
name:
gender: [I need to know whether to refer to your god as a he, she or it]
description:
characteristics: [leave blank, this is what is typical for your god and his/her/its expertise]
-
Intervention: [leave blank, how many DI you get every season]
duties: [what kind of everyday things your god takes care of. For example rain, sun, night, growing of plants, birth, death etc. duties left untaken will be taken by inactive NPCs. Every duty costs at least 1 DI every season it is done. Neglecting them can have interesting results]
-
influence: [leave blank, how powerful your god is]
followers: [leave blank, how many followers your god has, also their faith]
heroes: [leave blank, the most powerful followers you have. Also prophets]
-
realm: [what your realm is like and where its entrance is located]
-
creatures: [what kind of creatures you have]
name: [creature's name]
description: [describe what it is, what it does and so on]
cost: [how many DI it costs for you to create them. The higher you make it, the more powerful the creature]

(please remove the texts in [...] when making yours)

you may now make your own gods and start creating. All creating done in public posts: you gods are omniscient and very well see what the others do.

Use this map to create upon. The yellow dots are reference points; you can use them to say near what you are going to create your things.

For example: "I create a forest near the northeastern point."

name: Darnang
description: A schemer and manipulator, whose great weakness is his lack of ability to competently scheme and manipulate. He hopes to improve his schemes with time...
characteristics: [leave blank, this is what is typical for your god and his/her/its expertise]
-
Intervention: [leave blank, how many DI you get every season]
duties: [what kind of everyday things your god takes care of. For example rain, sun, night, growing of plants, birth, death etc. duties left untaken will be taken by inactive NPCs. Every duty costs at least 1 DI every season it is done. Neglecting them can have interesting results]
-
influence: [leave blank, how powerful your god is]
followers: [leave blank, how many followers your god has, also their faith]
heroes: [leave blank, the most powerful followers you have. Also prophets]
-
realm: Not created yet, normally travels amongst other realms.
-

I start by creating the mouth of a river- if I can do it for DI, I make the river particularly fertile (Euphrates or Nile level fertile, that is- ideal for agriculture, but as good as particularly good OTL rivers for that)

I think that each God should gain DI for the number of followers they have. Bonus DI could be gained by sacrifices, construction of great temples etc.

The amount is based on the god's power and influence in the world, and can be improved by increasing the sphere of one's power.
Followers are a way to use it effectively (sometimes), not a source. This has been decided in the generic development thread.

picture: http://xena.softassteel.com/characters/A-C/aphrodite.jpg
name: Amadea
description: Amadea is the goddess of love, passion, sex and beauty.
characteristics:
-
Intervention:
duties: Love and passion
-
influence:
followers:
heroes:
-
realm: Amadea lives on the Earth among existing creations. She usually dwells in one of her great temples. Her source of power is a diamond that she wears on her neck and it is the entrance to her true realm - where no one but her can exist without instantly falling in love with her completely (unless something blocks her energies away). She sometimes leaves the diamond with believers she trust to give them powers.
-
creatures: 1
name: Passion
description: Passion is a sexless ghostly being that takes the shapes of other beings to make people, gods and anything else do their or their goddess's whims. They make others fall in love or just get very attracted to them and confuse them in bed.
cost: 10ID

Remember to make creatures for yourself. Also you may start creating right now.

You just tell me what you want to make; the list is there. Concepts exist already.
Creating:
In the Pre-NES phase you can create 10 things in the world, after making a god for yourself. These include (but aren't limited to)
Create terrain: you decide what the terrain of roughly about a square inch area is (2.5 x 2.5 cm on my monitor). This decides what kind of a world the world is.
Create realm: you create the entrance of your realm somewhere
Spawn creatures: you can spawn different kinds of creatures in the world. Either animal packs or 3 DI worth of mythical creatures of your own. Animal packs may die very quickly in areas they can't survive in.
Spawn humans: you can spawn a primitive tribe of 100 humans somewhere. Remember that they must be able to survive.

You also take at least one duty when creating. You can take more, but not less.

What you do in the creating phase decides what kind of a god you are: choose carefully.

Yeah but I don't want to create the world. I just want to be in it... I don't care for anything else but love and passion.

so... Create LOVE.

One form of Szok
name: Szok
description: Shoz is a being borne of thought, one of the oldest gods. Shoz brought humanity the gift- and curse- of their minds. Now wandering the world on the currents of thought, this God of the Mind aids those who seek knowledge above all else.
characteristics:
-
Intervention:
duties: Holding all Knowledge
-
influence:
followers:
heroes:
-
realm: The realm of Szok is an infinite, mystical library containing all wisdom of all knowledge, everything that has ever happened, is happening, or has yet to come. Surrounding it is a vast, mountainous jungle.
-
creatures: Pythons
name: Python
description: The Pythons are snakes, more massive than anything found in nature. They can speak, and are great stores of knowledge.
cost: Varies depending on the size and wisdom. They range from being simply large, talking snakes to colossal beasts hundreds of meters long.

They say that, in the realm of a god, there is a great temple-library. Within it is a collection of all knowledge, unparalleled in the Mortal World. Some say that this place is the home of a god... others say it is his gift to humanity.

The mythic Library of Szok is inscribed with its name in every language of, humans, animals and deities. Those who find it can feast upon the unlimited knowledge it offers. However, more often than not, observing the universe as it is drives them mad. Those who survive are typically those who seek only a small amount and leave- perhaps seeking a magical spell, the answers to their questions, or to attain wisdom and enlightenment. Others come to seek the knowledge of how to defeat their enemies, how to twist the world to their will. They may do as they please.

It is said that Shoz first appeared before the very first humans, who were little more than animals. Taking the form of a green serpent, he approached woman, offering her the fruits of knowledge. She accepted, and thus was woman blessed with wisdom, for she took it first, before sharing it with Man.

Throughout history, Shoz has guided the actions of many people. King Eydrel, a devotee who long ago ruled a great kingdom in the west, was renowned for his wisdom, and the creation of deadly metals in his weapons. However, when later kings abandoned Shoz, the thousand-headed serpent consumed the knowledge of these incredible metals from their heads.

Szok, we are told, has myriad forms. In the stories I have heard, Szok has been... crawling creatures small and large, the aforementioned many-headed monster, a snake-headed man, a woman carrying a serpent... I imagine that the powers of a god really are unlimited, as is this. Perhaps my teacher was an incarnation of Szok- though as I never really got along with the man, I hope this is not the case.

I remember a tale from my childhood where Szok would watch people hunting the animals. Some cried out for help, so Szok taught them how to avoid the humans. He taught rodent how to hide, rabbit how to run, bird how to fly, and beast how to fight. It's said that the snakes, Szok' representatives, can teach you their own clever little things when they feel like it. Unfortunately, snakes tend to bite those who interrupt their meditations, out of annoyance.

Snakes can be moody creatures. The same, I have noticed, is true for intellectuals. Although the intellectuals are more reserved in their biting.

Questions:

Does the world have a definite general shape, and if so, what is it? Is it a flat, four-cornered plane that hovers in aether/a hellish cosmic abyss? What?

What's a human? Can I create other distantly and generally human-like (sapient or semi-sapient, two-armed, two-legged, one-headed beings) creatures for this instead?

Yeah but I don't want to create the world. I just want to be in it... I don't care for anything else but love and passion.

Don't tell me you're going to be a love-related deity that doesn't play an immensely prominent role in the creation of the world. :p At least in a distant, probably-to-be-often-contested way, that's who is responsible for the vital sympathetic power (in other words, for the unification of atoms into molecules and so on).

Incidentally, do we have any origin mythology whatsoever? I suggest that all the deities are either shards of a previous destroyed unified deity or have hatched from a cosmic egg. In any case, at this point the world expanded, and the deities flew in different directions erratically, eventually reaching the world's limits and gaining self-awareness and control over what powers they possessed. For added chaos, they are not initially particularly aware of the existence of other deities, and so will have to make contact later on.

Well he did say we can form pantheons (alliances?) together...

Amadea wishes to speak to Szok. Would you do a favor to me? And create a land with people to worship me? I have much to give back...

Don't tell me you're going to be a love-related deity that doesn't play an immensely prominent role in the creation of the world. :p At least in a distant, probably-to-be-often-contested way, that's who is responsible for the vital sympathetic power (in other words, for the unification of atoms into molecules and so on).

Incidentally, do we have any origin mythology whatsoever? I suggest that all the deities are either shards of a previous destroyed unified deity or have hatched from a cosmic egg. In any case, at this point the world expanded, and the deities flew in different directions erratically, eventually reaching the world's limits and gaining self-awareness and control over what powers they possessed. For added chaos, they are not initially particularly aware of the existence of other deities, and so will have to make contact later on.

Maybe both these concerns can be addressed at once. In my humble opinion, perhaps we should have an unknown deity greater than ourselves in order to function as the first mover and origin of the universe. THAT god can be responsible for the love that attracts atoms, and whatnot, and erez can be some minor manifestation. Furthermore, our being created will help account for our apparently limited powers and influence in the world, functioning more like the lesser deities of myth than the Fate-controlling Allpower. Of course, that higher god doesn't have to come into the picture yet, allowing us more or less free reign.

Isn't that idea just grand? :mischief:

In any case, maybe pantheons ought to form now? Unless, of course, we go with the shard theory, but I am uneasy about a god that has been shattered. That would seem to indicate a power capable of shattering him. I think most mythologies have some sort of genealogy of gods as related to the pantheons that is more than "they met once and decided to form a pantheon."

EDIT: I'll post my god in a little while. I have to finish cramming for my Latin final.

Place a DEEP lake on the bottom right yellow dot.

Well as for pantheons I intend Amadea to marry some other grand god and make him do her bidding, cause he would love her, and then form a pantheon by.. you know...

First action- create terrain at top-left hand corner (mouth of river and surrounding area).

Can I make the river particularly fertile for DI? (Euphrates or Nile level)

Maybe both these concerns can be addressed at once. In my humble opinion, perhaps we should have an unknown deity greater than ourselves in order to function as the first mover and origin of the universe. THAT god can be responsible for the love that attracts atoms, and whatnot, and erez can be some minor manifestation. Furthermore, our being created will help account for our apparently limited powers and influence in the world, functioning more like the lesser deities of myth than the Fate-controlling Allpower. Of course, that higher god doesn't have to come into the picture yet, allowing us more or less free reign.

That's good for the cosmology, but does nothing or very little for the theogony, I'm afraid.

Unless, of course, we go with the shard theory, but I am uneasy about a god that has been shattered. That would seem to indicate a power capable of shattering him.

Technically the shard theory doesn't contradict the eventual formation of pantheons at all. Also, it is the best explanation I could come up with for the gods appearing at the same time with their own powers and personalities. As to shattering, it may have just happened regardless of the nonexistence of anything beside the proto-god. I'm presently thinking of some weird combination of [wiki]Pangu[/wiki] and [wiki]Brahman[/wiki], only with more shattering and classical polytheism.

picture: I will draw this
name: Abaddon
description: God of Chaos
characteristics:
-
Intervention:
duties: Creating Mayhem, discord, ensuring change
-
influence:
followers:
heroes:
-
realm: The realm of Abaddon lies deep under a great lake, there he resides in a underwater cave, airtight and silent from the rest of the world- In times of need he is unleashed into the world to reset it

creatures: Shazam
name: Imps
description: The Shazam are imps, creatures of miscief and destruction. They can shapeshift, and are great spinners of illusion.
cost: Varies depending on the size and power. They range from being simply small, mischievous imps to colossal beasts hundreds of meters long.

Top Bottom