1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Pre-Industrial Age Wars

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Globex, Sep 19, 2007.

1. D0NIMATRIX

D0NIMATRIX Full of drivel

OK people, I get it! Artillery is better than cavalry, artillery is better than cavalry, artillery is better than cavalry, artillery is better than cavalry, artillery is better than cavalry, artillery is better than cavalry, artillery is better than cavalry, artillery is better than cavalry, artillery is better than cavalry, artillery is better than cavalry, artillery is better than cavalry, artillery is better than cavalry, artillery is better than cavalry, artillery is better than cavalry, artillery is better than cavalry, artillery is better than cavalry, artillery is better than cavalry, artillery is better than cavalry, artillery is better than cavalry, artillery is better than cavalry, artillery is better than cavalry, artillery is better than cavalry, artillery is better than cavalry, artillery is better than cavalry, artillery is better than cavalry, artillery is better than cavalry, artillery is better than cavalry, artillery is better than cavalry, artillery is better than cavalry, artillery is better than cavalry!:king: :goodjob: :goodjob: :crazyeye: :confused: :lol: :cry: :) :nuke: :undecide: :sleep: :thumbsup: :rolleyes:

Don't worry though. I'm not mad:D .

2. pol1

pol1 kayaking physicist

No, not really. They are complementary to each other and make conquering enemy's territory cheaper (and i would say also : faster).

Go ahead and try it!

3. JDAllison

JDAllison Prophet of Doom

But, what about pre-industrial age wars?

4. Snarkhunter

Snarkhunter Chieftain

*Shrugs* Cats & trebs. They aren't as effective as arty, but then they aren't usually tackling as strong a defender either. You just get a stack of them on the roll & off you go. O, and cannon too, but I find the age of cannon usually doesn't last very long for me before I have arty.

kk

5. anaxagoras

anaxagoras Chieftain

It can be a useful tactic, but as you noticed, the speed units are very vulnerable to counter-attack. Since you need to stop and use a movement point in order to pillage anyway, consider putting a defensive unit or two in the stack. Your entire stack moves one, then the speed units pillage. Next turn, everybody moves, speed units pillage. It is slower to get to the rear areas this way, and you need at least one defender for each pillager if you want to pillage in multiple places at once, but it can be very effective.

So stack the Impi with spearmen and go to town. Your enemy will be starving in no time.

6. Aabraxan

Aabraxan Mid-level Micromanager

And (at least for C3C), if you have an army to spare, they make great pillagers, because they don't use any movement in pillaging.

7. D0NIMATRIX

Does pillaging really help all that much? I always just move huge numbers of troops over and kill the enemy before they can strike back, so I hardly ever pillage. Pillaging just retards your economic growth after the conquest of a nation, so it's pretty useless. Unless you are up against a foe 10 times stronger than yourself with no hope of conquering some cities, then just SCREW THEM UP and then make peace:D .

8. anaxagoras

anaxagoras Chieftain

I usually limit my pillaging to depriving the enemy of important resources, but every now and then it can also be usefull to pillage certain movement routes or to starve a troublesome city/metropolis until drops down to the next defense level.

One of my favorite instances of useful pillaging was to destroy an enemy's mountain road. It had been the shortest route against one of my towns in a part of the front where I didn't want to spend units attacking, and they were making a royal pain of themselves repeatedly sending isolated units against me by this route. So I pillaged their mountain route so the shortest way was now through an open square. I set up a kill zone there, and not another enemy unit survived to assault my town.

9. Aabraxan

Aabraxan Mid-level Micromanager

I'm a big fan of pillaging, for a number of reasons. First of all, it's fun. :satan: I frankly enjoy pillaging and generally harassing my enemy, in addition to head-on battle tactics.

But there are a number of other reasons to pillage:

First, it slows down troops and lets you "funnel" the enemy into kill zones that you set up. If you pillage key roads, you can pick the places of battle.

Second, pillaging strategic resources (and cutting trade routes where necessary & possible) limits the types of troops that the AI can build. Take their only source of iron and pretty soon, your cavalry face nothing more threatening than longbows.

Third, pillaging luxuries forces the AI to use more clowns. It doesn't really use the lux slider, IIUC. Pillaging its luxuries forces it to use lots of clowns in its core cities and does significant injury to its productive capacity.

Fourth, pillaging roads hits the AI's economy. Research, troop support, trade, . . . Need I really say more on that?

Did I mention I like pillaging? :D

10. Bobv13

Bobv13 Chieftain

I've recently been playing a game where the AI has dog-piled me. My only defence was to basically stay at home and defend my boarders. However I did have several armies that I used to pillage the attacking civs. As the war drew on attackers went from calvary to long-bowmen. Then it was time to move my massing troops into their territory and take city after city. In short for me pillaging is the way to go if I'm in no hurry and want to fight a defensive war.

11. D0NIMATRIX

@Aabraxan

I generally just build or draft a defender and put him on key locations, thus ruining their resources without injuring your soon-to-be empire. However, if you are in a war that is pretty stagnant, then pillaging is a good idea. If this is the case, try to pillage every single tile you can, put craters wherever possible and station defenders on pillaged tiles for extended periods of time.

12. Delphi456

Delphi456 Chieftain

Here's my pillage strategy: Only pillage tiles around AI capital, but don't capture capital because capital will just move to another city which you will need to pillage again. Pillaging the capital also will break any trades the AI had with other civs, thus depribing others of resources. Also, I think it will ruin the AI rep for breaking a trade deal. I use my army for pillaging while playing a defensive war; redlining with arty and then leader-fishing.

13. pol1

pol1 kayaking physicist

Before DoW i usually take a closer look at the enemy's territory to find locations of resources. then if it is possible i might send army, or some units there to pillage it.
    the other thing is to bomb terrain around border, so fast attackers won't have a chance (cavs may) to reach Your positions/cities and will wait to be bombed in Your turn - i use it when i have to deal with dozens/scores of enemy's units.

@DOMINATRIX (if i understand correctly) :
    AFAIK putting unit on resource tile won't cut off the resource - just citizen from whatever enemy's city won't be able to work that tile.

14. Lord Templar

Lord Templar Chieftain

Pillageing is cool but dont do it using your units. KEEP THEM MOVING!!! Use artillery to bring some pain to their terrain squares or even some left over bombers.

15. anaxagoras

anaxagoras Chieftain

I can't remember the last time I had left-over bombers in the pre-industrial age.... ;)

In the pre-industrial ages, I prefer to pillage with fast units running with a defender, rather than with artillery. Artillery is already slow. Using them to destroy enemy infrastructure makes them even slower. OTOH, if my fast units are pillaging, they aren't outpacing the artillery by too much, and my combined arms end up actually working together.

Once bombers are available, of course, they are very useful for destroying infrastructure. They can hit well behind the front lines at very little risk.

16. MAS

MAS Chieftain

I usually don't pillage, they are my roads after all, why pillage my own roads? My citizens and units will need them after I kicked the AI off my land!

17. JDAllison

JDAllison Prophet of Doom

^ Ha ha, good point! I dislike to pillage, unless they've done something to really [pissed] me off. Or unless I'm playing my brother on MP.

18. I. Larkin

I. Larkin Chieftain

Explorer is ideal unit to pillage. Penetrates deep, and if come it is 100%. Sure, if pillage Rubber, Salpeter it helps a lot...

19. Da Bilge Troll

Da Bilge Troll Chieftain

I feel the same way EXCEPT for resources the enemy can use against me that I can quickly re-road later. ;)

20. Taras Bulba

Taras Bulba gone

well... i pillage if i am trying to keep them from getting ahead, w/o killing them off... or if i want to do a "fake" war. i pillage, and destroy offensive units.

that way, they cannot build the newest units, (i.e.-pillage their rubber in industrial age, so they cannot build infantry) and it can really help me get back, and once you declare peace, get a RoP w/ them, and its hard for them to get it back w/o declaring war

OH YES!!! i almost forgot. i found a really easy way to keep peace w/o having to pay anything (unless you are weaker) but it helps prevent against those stupid little civs all declaring war on you for no reason

go to the trade screen, and go to the active trades. there should be one about "peace treaty" which is always in effect during times of peace. renegociate it, and they SHOULD say yes, we will accept it, and accept, and you have 20 turns of peace for free. although, i have tried this once, and i offered peace for peace, and they said "NO WAY!" and that kinda messed me up a bit :blush:

(i bet like everyone knew that already, but i thought i'd throw it in instead of starting a new thread)