1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Pre-Invitation to a long-term, epic, huge roleplaying game

Discussion in 'Civ4 - PitBoss Games' started by Capsavian, Jul 25, 2007.

1. whiplash_CDC

whiplash_CDC King

The no tech brokering option won't matter much, if at all, in a two player alliance. It would have an impact on alliances of 3 or more. With this option on you can only give techs that you have researched by yourself, not those gifted or traded to you and not those garnered from huts.

2. OverloadUT

OverloadUT Stats Monkey

Exactly. It would allow players that have high research to trade techs without having to worry about the fact that once they give it to one person, that person can turn it around and spread it to his whole alliance. It prevents players from giving every tech they get from trading to their ally. If they researched it on their own, then they deserve to trade it away.

At least,that's how I feel about it. :)

3. Sonnybonds

Sonnybonds Prince

I was comparing normal speed with fast speed.
    Normal speed has the advantage that u have time to build an army of new researched units for attack/defend. Like axeman u can use them for turn after turn after turn and dont become obsolete for years. While in Epic speed there are lots of turns where just nonthing happens.

4. IanDC

IanDC Prince

I don't see it impacting on larger alliances much, a big leading tech alliance doesn't get much from outside anyway & it isn't going to limit their internal trade at all as long as they have contact.
    The only thing it appears to do is allow merely "neutral" players to trade a tech & be secure that it isn't going to be traded on round the world.

5. JMaltman

JMaltman Prince

That's pretty cool - the wrinkle on the tech-trading option. I'd be all for that.

Personally I'm less excited by teams in this sort of a game.

6. ToxoXI

ToxoXI Chieftain

I'm interested if we are not at 18 yet. The time commitment is fine by me. I am away in mid-August for 2 and half weeks, but will have a substitute ready to start the game.

I have been involved in a Poly diplo game - MP sessions every Friday night - with RP and history postings during the week. Great fun. Ran on epic. Can be long. In fact, I think it was that crew, many who are testers, who pushed for the tech option of only trading self-researched techs. That is the way we played the last game - but it was on an honour system. You had to manually keep track of what you researched.

I think if you went to this option, normal speed might work just fine. But I am easy either way.

I am with JMaltman in that I would prefer NOT to have fixed teams. I'm in one of those, and its, well, just OK. I prefer the innumerable single civ diplomacy possibilities.

I am also involved in 9 pitboss games and hosting one.

Looking forward to this.

Thanks Capsavian. :goodjob:

ToxoXI aka Beta on some other world.

7. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

I would like to join this also. I would like to see tech trading on since we can get the human involvement going. Also I would like to see that we are allowed to choose our own alliances since they are much more valuable if you get a willing ally, but that means that there is a chance for :backstab:

8. Sonnybonds

Sonnybonds Prince

yeah no fixed teams plz. If we have fixed teams there s not much RPG and diplomacy in the game.

9. Darius_Silva

Darius_Silva Chieftain

Wouldn't be fun to start the game in the classic era for once?

10. dribnairb

dribnairb Warlord

I like the sound of this too, if there's still room.
    Personally, I'm happy with Normal or Epic speed.

Assuming the bugs are worked out, how about an Advanced Start, but still starting in the Ancient era (so the Religions aren't just given out to a few lucky players)? Means the first turns won't be unbelievably boring, but we don't all have to be online at the same time for an accelerated start?

Also, set the turn timer to about 20 'game' hours which equates to about 24 real hours from previous experience.

11. Zside

Zside Chieftain

I'm very interested too, but only if "only trade techs you research" are choosen. The rest is fine for me!
    I'm playing another pitboss game and a pbem game. I'll be at the game untill the end :)

Of course, if you want. If not, no problem, partner!

12. ToxoXI

ToxoXI Chieftain

That would be my preference as well.

13. mildge

mildge Chieftain

Count me in if theres still room

14. Capsavian

Capsavian Chieftain

Wow, awesome to see this kind of interest!

I've experimented with the Advanced Start option--that will be a must, and can eliminate the need for accelerated start and the logistics of setting that up.

I am still partial to Epic Speed, and it sounds like more or less half approve, half prefer otherwise. So, likely we may stick with Epic Speed.

Tech Trading is another sticking point, it sounds like. The "trade only techs you research" option would possibly serve as a compromise, although I still worry that those lucky few who manage to get ahead of the curve in techs early on (using the Oracle, awesome financial starting location, etc.), will only INCREASE their advancement over everyone else, which again kind of kills the balance a bit. I can see both sides on this one though, so we may want to debate and discuss tech trading a little bit more, before "voting" (i.e. my decision, based more or less on consensus).

Locked teams would definitely be out. That kills the fun of creating (and maybe breaking?!) alliances as the ages go by. That's the main fun of playing with other humans, in my opinion!

Also, I am leaning toward one of the new map scripts -- maybe the "Big and Small" or "Medium and Small" scripts? I'll need to experiment some more in single player to see how decent that one is as far as giving everyone more or less good starting locations.

How does 1500 starting gold (points) sound to you all, for an Epic Advanced Start? That gets you about 4 or 5 decent cities, or 3 really good ones and some soldiers.

Also, this game might end up having to get bumped to September for the start, I'm afraid. But again, that will depend in part on when the next patch comes out, and what it fixes (and doesn't fix). I've also not yet tested Pitboss for BtS, so I need to make sure that works properly yet!

Thanks again for the interest, everyone! :) This could turn out to be an awesome long-term game.

15. whiplash_CDC

whiplash_CDC King

I've run a test PtS pitboss setup and it ran just fine.

I've also played several Big/Small SP games and it seems to give better balance to the starting locations with the snaky continents option and the Island option.

16. Capsavian

Capsavian Chieftain

OK, I've updated the original post, to reflect what I've identified as items that have been decided upon, and items that are still open for discussion/debate.

Please understand that it will be impossible to configure a game that pleases EVERYONE's preferences. Ultimately, I'm reserving the right to make the final decision. This isn't due to egomania, but rather necessity!

Of course, I might still be an egomaniac, the jury is still out on that one, and my wife might have a vote on THAT decision. ;)

17. JMaltman

JMaltman Prince

Its your game, so you make the choices. Don't compromise if you can find enough people interested in your plan! :D

Re: the tech trading, I thought someone said that you have to RESEARCH the techs (ie not lightbulbing or getting them free with a tech) to be able to trade them? That would remove one of your few reservations left.

18. Troymk1

Troymk1 Warlord

goody huts off does subtract from those empires that start with scouts...but Advanced Start would soften this. I'm still in

19. Capsavian

Capsavian Chieftain

Good point--thanks for the affirmation.

I still have some reservations with tech trading, since it can still lead to a civ getting "pumped up" in very short order. However, I guess this is not really without precedent; after all, how many times has history shown us an advanced nation which supplies arms and technology to a third-world power, to prop them up?

So, I suppose having tech trading for only those techs self-researched would be an acceptable compromise. Hopefully it won't tip the game out of balance.

I had reached the same conclusion; plus, I believe Advanced Start gives you NO units, unless you specifically purchase them. The civs which start with hunting still have an edge there, as they have the option of purchasing scouts or warriors from the start, whereas other civs can only purchase warriors. It should prove pretty fair, I think.

20. Troymk1

Troymk1 Warlord

Are we doing Random Leaders etc?