Pre-SprylliNES V: The Peloponnesian War

spryllino

Deity
Introduction

This is my first historical NES, and it is set in the 5th Century BC, immediately after the Peace of Nicias is agreed in 421 BC, but before it is implemented. Each turn will be one year long, running from March to March. The terms of the treaty have not been enforced. If you want an update zero, we are at Thucydides V.20. :p

This does not mean a cessation of SprylliNES IV, which will continue to run alongside this one.

I am not posting rules or stats, which aren't finished, but essentially you will have stats representing money and representing troop reserves.

The map I'm posting is the current draft that I have been gradually revising over the last few weeks. I am, of course, happy to revise it as necessary up to the start of the NES.

All coloured states on the map (except Athens) are available in principle, although I advise you not to choose a boring place or you won't likely get to do much.

I also require players to represent the leaders of Athens. This is my way of making the chaotic political life of Athens part of the NES. Politician players will each have to submit, in their orders, whatever they want Athens to do, to the NPC Assembly, which will then act as it sees fit. Politicians will also have to command whatever expeditions they propose and other ones too if the Assembly wants them too.

Nicias
Alcibiades
Demosthenes
Hyperbolus
Lamachus

White boundaries represent the states of a koinon (federal state) in most cases; in these cases, I only expect to have one player per koinon, who will take a city, probably the most powerful one, but they should choose, within that koinon. A few white borders represent occupied territory (Leontini and Panactum). Black borders between states of the same colour represent wholly independent states that might reasonably be categorised together, purely to make it easier for me and you to identify which states are which (all states called "Locris" are light green, for example).

Apply by posting three choices of position. I require that certain important slots be filled, so if you say, 1. Phocis, 2. Selinus, 3. Nicias, and no-one else wants Nicias, than expect to be chosen as Nicias.

Questions/suggestions/complaints and above all applications are very welcome! Feel free to post immediately.

Spoiler :

Applications so far:

Argos: 1. Kraznaya; 2. ; 3.
Corinth: 1. ; 2. Immaculate; 3.
Sparta: 1. Neverwonagame3, TheLizardKing; 2. ; 3.
Thebes: 1. Immaculate; 2. Yui108; 3.
Larissa in Thessaly: 1. ; 2. Espoir; 3.
Macedonia: 1. Ekolite, Espoir; 2. Dachs; 3. TheLizardKing
Athamania: 1. ; 2. mythmonster2; 3.
Chalcidian League in Thrace: 1. ; 2. ; 3. mythmonster2

Thurii: 1. ; 2. TheLizardKing; 3.
Syracuse: 1. Kentharu; 2. Ekolite; 3. Thlayli, Immaculate
Latins: 1. ; 2. ; 3. Yui108
Caria: 1. ; 2. ; 3. Espoir
Hellespontine Phrygia: 1. ; 2. Neverwonagame3; 3.
Taras: 1. mythmonster2; 2. ; 3.

Lamachus: 1. Dachs; 2. ; 3. Neverwonagame3
Alcibiades: 1. Thlayli; 2. ; 3.
Nicias: 1. Shadowbound; 2. ; 3.
Demosthenes: 1. Yui108; 2. Thlayli, Shadowbound; 3. Dachs

Total: 10 Applications

Attachments

• bvUpX.png
    bvUpX.png
    172.5 KB · Views: 797
Could we have a labelled map? Interested in Sicilian stuff

1- The peace terms are part of the actual game, right?

2- Can I take Persia?

EDIT:

3- Come to think of it, what about the political divisions amongst other states? How are they to be represented?

1 - The peace terms have been agreed upon by Athens and Sparta, but it is up to the players to carry them out.

2 - You may apply to play either Persian satrapy, either Hellespontine Phrygia or Caria. The King is NPC, and so are all the other satrapies off the map.

3 - Just as political divisions are normally represented in NESes: the player has to behave in a way that avoids antagonising political divisions within the state, or the player will find these political divisions acting against them.

The division seems somewhat arbitrary- in Sparta for example there were two Kings, and just about every Greek city state had some sort of body which had to vote to pass 'legislation'.

Commence the debate.

It's slightly arbitrary, yes, but fully thought out, and I'm sticking to it. I wouldn't mind representing every notable politician in Greece, but,

a) not enough players;
b) not enough time on my part;
c) not enough information from classical sources on all the different politicians;
d) Athens was exceptionally fractious.

Therefore, I cannot give every state multiple factions, and I would rather represent all multiple factions in the most important city where they mattered most rather than represent none at all and have Athens played by a single player, which would be pretty unrealistic.

I realise the necessity of this list:

List of Playable Entities:

Nicias
Alcibiades
Demosthenes
Hyperbolus
Lamachus

Sparta
Mantinea
Elis
Corinth
Argos
Phocis
Locris
Aetolia
Macedonia
Lyncus
Orestis
Elimea

Parauaea
Tymphaea
Athamania
Molossis
Thesprotis
Chaonia

Hellespontine Phrygia
Caria

Syracuse
Gela
Camarina
Acragas
Selinus
Egesta
Himera

Croton
Thurii
Taras
Metapontium
Posidonia
Elea
Cumae

Lucanians
Samnites
Volscians
Latins
Veii

List of Koina (Leagues):

Achaean League
Thessalian League
Boeotian League
Chalcidian League in Thrace
Chalcidian League in Sicily

Alright then. If that's how you want to do it, then preferences:

1- Sparta
2- Hellesponte Phyrgia
3- Lamachus

1. The big brown one (Thessaly?)
2. Macedonia
3 Big red scicillian one.

Really cool idea for a NES.

Brave Argives! Let your valor's ferment heat
Abate not in the least. Zeus, sire of all,
Has not in vain assured us of his aid;
Victorious in our ships shall we convey
Their wives and infants from their wasted town.

In.

Sparta
Thurii
Macedonia

Really cool game!

1. Lamachos, son of Xenophanes
2. Makedonia
3. Demosthenes, son of Alkisthenes

I have just edited the map some more and posted a new version with minor changes.

@ Eko and anyone else who might be interested in the Thessalian League: If you want to play in Thessaly, then you need to choose what state therein you want to play, because the League is too decentralised for you to play the whole League without knowing what city you are representing. Larissa, Pharsalus and Pherae are the most powerful cities (and the former two each has a lot of power as the dominant member of its Tetrarchy). Whatever you do, you have very limited control over the other members. For example, in southern Thessaly the Aenianians, Hiereans, Paralians, and Dolopians are all aiming to subdue the Spartan outpost of Heraclea in Trachis, and you can do very little to stop them trying, but you'd be free to provide them with strategy and precise orders and reinforcements if you like. So, in short, you need to tell me what and how you want to play in Thessaly. :)

This is the list of Thessalian cities and subject areas, arranged into their Tetrarchies of four cities each, which are shown on the map. Most of them are pretty small places though.

Spoiler :
Pelasgiotis:
Larissa
Pherae
Crannon
Scotussa

Phthiotis:
Pharsalus
Euhydrium
Phyllus
Pirasia

Thessaliotis: