pre-TNESIV: Let The Bodies Hit The Four

Descriptions and stats will be pre-made, when the NES launches. You however can write all about your nation's government, ethnic groups, culture, etc. etc. etc., basically anything I don't write about is yours to fill in.

Either historical articles or stories are great for this NES.

Coptos - The only significant Coptic state remaining, and a decently strong state in what will sure prove to be an exciting and volatile region as Ægypt, Genoa, and Alshamids fight for control over the region. Who doesn't want to be the last of the truly native Egyptians?
(By the way, is this a Coptic kingdom or a theocracy led by the Coptic Pope?)

Asturias - A nation perched at the corner of the Iberian pennisula, with great potential for exploration and colonization of the lands beyond the sea. Also not too badly positioned to get involved in other Iberian affairs.

I want to claim the Nanjur Kingdom if possible. I have studied Chinese history and I have a special interest in the Kingdom of Dali, which was on about the same area as Nanjur and I believe that you have based some parts of Nanjur on Dali, right? Also the Sufist Muslim thing seems interesting. I also like the balance that Nanjur brings, allowing neither the Nan Song nor the Zhung Dynasty to dominate each other.

I might be interested in jumping into the America's once they are opened.

Christos is confirmed and a bunch of other people; front page list updated.

Coptos - The only significant Coptic state remaining, and a decently strong state in what will sure prove to be an exciting and volatile region as Ægypt, Genoa, and Alshamids fight for control over the region. Who doesn't want to be the last of the truly native Egyptians?
(By the way, is this a Coptic kingdom or a theocracy led by the Coptic Pope?)

Asturias - A nation perched at the corner of the Iberian pennisula, with great potential for exploration and colonization of the lands beyond the sea. Also not too badly positioned to get involved in other Iberian affairs.

Hmm...I could see you playing both of these nations, but let's give you Coptos. Could be interesting.

It's a theocracy led by the Coptic Pope, the exiled Patriarch of Alexandria (a Latin Patriarch appointed by the Frankish Pope currently occupies his spot). Lower government organization is at your discretion. You probably have some pretty deep trade ties and alliances with Ethiopia which have allowed you to resist Crusaders and Arabs thus far, but I'll write about Ethiopia when I get to Sub-Saharan Africa.

Some interesting facts: There is a long alliance between the Kingdom of Albia-Norway and the Kingdom of Ægypt, borne of the ruling Crusader dynasty there being Albo-Norman. England is somewhat less developed than in OTL due to being repeatedly depopulated during vicious medieval warfare between Durham and Aplemont. Northern France, Yorkshire, and the Scottish Lowlands are somewhat more densely populated, due to accepting the bulk of the refugees from picked-over Central England. Oxford never developed as a university town due to being sacked quite a few times.

There's a bunch of lighter spots in the Frankish Empire. States, or just landscape?

Bohemia and Burgundy are autonomous vassal kingdoms. The Empire underwent a difficult series of centralizing reforms in the 16th century, eliminating a lot of the old stem duchies and palatine bishops and reducing their powers, but those two states were largely exempt due to their size, importance, and the Emperor's need for their cooperation.

Will the Frankish Empire be played by an NPC or a player? Considering how much power is focused into it. And beyond me, Bohemia and Burgundy, what's their influence? Could they have some kind of influence over places like Geneva or League of Munster, or are they independent of them?

Descriptions and stats will be pre-made, when the NES launches. You however can write all about your nation's government, ethnic groups, culture, etc. etc. etc., basically anything I don't write about is yours to fill in.

Either historical articles or stories are great for this NES.

Ok. Here is some info about my nation:

King: Geluofeng Duan

The King of Nanjur is half-Chinese and half-Turk. His father, King Geluofeng Yang, was a Turk while his mother, Princess Consort Li was Han Chinese. He is relative young, in his mid twenties, and much of the authority is exercised by the Chancellor and the Chief Eunuch. The King, however, can use the differences between those two figures to solidify his power.

Chancellor: Long You Na

Long You Na is the Chancellor of Nanjur. He represents the Turks who are more cautious about adopting Han Chinese culture. While he does not reject Han Chinese culture completely nor does he want a return to a nomadic style of government, he wants to protect the traditional Turkic values and is very devout Sufist Muslim.

Chief Eunuch: Guo Jing

The Chief Eunuch is the head of Palace's Eunuchs, a very powerful position. The system of Eunuchs was adopted from the Chinese style of governance and Guo Jing, being a Han Chinese, represents the Chinese and Sinicized faction of the Court. He is far more progressive than the Chancellor and while also being a Sufist Muslim, he believes that Buddhism teachings can be applied to this sect of Islam.

That for now. More later.

Well. OK. Heeere we go. This will be the tl;dr version. As I have a whole lot longer, filled with fluff and all that good stuff version, which however will take half a page and chances are, no one will read it.

Give me a shot if I am writing something which is contradicting with your version. If also you spot grammar mistakes, or my writing makes you feel an enormous desire to choke me until my spirit escapes, also tell me.

Flag:

Foreign affairs:

As it is clear from its position, Moravia is encompassed by enemies. Hated pagans, who have many times embarrassed the Moravians, Roman holdovers clamouring for recovery of their ancient province of Pannonia, and the Poles, who seek to "reunite their Slavic brothers" i.e. conquer and subjugate them. Light step is required, and even their friend, the Frankish Empire could at any time decide that Moravia is a useful bargaining chip. Of course, that would have rather unfortunate implications for the Imperial Church, but it's called cesaropapism, after all.

Internal Domestics And The Three Classes:

The current King is Jiri II of the Novak dynasty. He's one of the many in the Novak line who are trying to solve the insane paradox that the Moravian situation is: due to its small size, a lightning-quick mobilisation of all able men who are able to fight off an eventual invasion was necessary, which required a concentrated and centralized power in the hands of the King. The local aristocracy however was a major impediment, however, as it had to be obedient, but more importantly, it had to be competent. Few times both of these things happened all at once; most times, obedient but totally incapable of waging war aristocrats took control of the army, and only due to the quick reactions of Bohemia was Moravia spared from total occupation, and eventually, annexation.

And even worse would it be if the aristocrats were actually competent and able, then they would decide that the Novak line is filled solely with inbred aristocrats, and this is when a civil war would break out.

In recent times, this has been slowly, but steadily solved. It had all began with a vision from God (recent historians believe that this might be simply a clever use of the devotion the ordinary Moravian has towards the Imperial Church) that came upon Jaroslav "the Blessed" of Novak, according to which, it is his divine duty to protect all Moravian peoples, and that no one, regardless of his title, could question this duty. He is solely responsible to God. Latter monarchs in the Novak dynasty claimed that Jaroslav’s mission has been passed to them, and anyone who would argue otherwise is a heathen who is conflicting with the Word of God. The Frankish opinion of that is mixed. From one point, if Moravia could fend off themselves, that would certainly be beneficial, as often it is a drain to lead a war in the East. However, that ideology, and especially the last part “no one could question this duty” made a lot of people in power scratch their heads worriedly.

The Clergy was mighty. It always was. In the years following the conversion to the Imperial Church, it was used as a political tool that Moravian monarchs used to maintain good relations with The Frankish Empire and to keep the peasants indoctrinated into the dogmas of the Church. Witch trials, burning of books that contained heretical and useless (the Moravians, while devout, were also pragmatists) knowledge, all for the show of the Pope in Frankfurt, that indeed, the Moravians are and will always be loyal to the Church. As decades passed, controversies that have set aflame Europe, had a far lesser impact upon Moravia, and heretics and irreligionists were purged with ferocity that is seen in few places. Perhaps, beyond the political gain that is obtained from their faith, they have actually discovered a hidden devotion.Of course, to say that the different religions that bordered Moravia didn’t diffuse into the peasants and partially the nobility, would be a lie, and a bad one, but they were few and in between. Officially, all nobles were firm believers in God, as openly saying that maybe, the current Church is corrupt and the Pope is illegally held in Frankfurt, would result in quick decapitation and sale of the title of the said heretic, the money from the sale would be then used to build a church upon his grave so that perhaps he could learn in the afterlife the truth. And the memory of the Ecumenical Wars, despite the fact they happened a century ago, was still fresh. Many cities, once flourishing, now only hovels, shadows of what they once been, or what they could have been yet remain to this day; their stories remain as a haunting memory of the dangers of the heretics and heathens trying to break down the mainstays of the Church.

And lastly, everyone else - traders, peasants, and honest craftsmen. Peasants had a greater degree of freedoms in Moravia – the only thing more dangerous than an able noble who is claiming the throne is several thousand peasants marching upon the capital when you’re fighting a desperate battle against foreign invaders, and these concessions were an attempt to, if anything, delay the eventual peasant war. Of course, in exchange, if the kingdom is ever invaded, their first duty was to rally to the nobleman’s flag to fight the rapacious invaders

Traders mostly did trade with Bohemia and the Frankish Empire. Only by purchasing very, very expensive permits, could they trade with other nations. This was a rather dangerous move, as it made the economy rather dependant on the Franks; would the Empire collapse, it would be indeed Armageddon for any Moravian. Skilled craftsmen were abundant in Moravia; however they tended to trade their goods internally, rather than externally.

...or maybe not so short. Anyway, first comments on my sort-of NES post. Is it bad, does it make you howl at the moon, or is it decent for a first time?

Expressing interest in Zhung and Xhoson, although I dont think I am very well suited to play them. I still want to wait to see what is in SEA and the rest of the world, but right now I am also looking at Iberian nations.

I would be interested in playing as the Dominions of the Khanishah, or as somebody in the Americas.

Well. OK. Heeere we go. This will be the tl;dr version. As I have a whole lot longer, filled with fluff and all that good stuff version, which however will take half a page and chances are, no one will read it.

Give me a shot if I am writing something which is contradicting with your version. If also you spot grammar mistakes, or my writing makes you feel an enormous desire to choke me until my spirit escapes, also tell me.

...or maybe not so short. Anyway, first comments on my sort-of NES post. Is it bad, does it make you howl at the moon, or is it decent for a first time?

That was actually quite good Tolni. The actual NES probably won't start for a few weeks, but this is a very solid background post and it doesn't conflict with anything I've written. Thanks. :)

I'm only disappointed in my foreign relations post. I'd guess I'll wait until more players join nations sharing my religion for that part.

Hey Thlayli, this looks pretty fun. I want to learn more about this world but I also want to play, lol.

Here's my three choices:

1. Kuzakh Hetmanate - I like the idea of a rogue state, and the potential to eventually bring it together under consolidated rule. It seems right now that there's no true central power in the country, as I assume its made up of various tribes that kind of do what they want, when they want? I'd like the chance to evolve them into a true nation, or at least attempt to before my neighbors tear me apart piecemeal.

2. The Great Knyazate of Vladimir - This nation looks fun, mainly because I'm interested in Eastern European/Russian history. It looks like it could be an interesting nation to play with plenty of unhappy vassals in the near future to keep in line.

3. Lithuania - Again, Eastern European. It also looks quite capable of giving Vladimir a run for its money if I can play my cards right, and at the very least become a regional power. Would be a fun nation to play because, if played right, would be an important nation in international affairs in years to come due to its size and proximity to Vladimir.

I'd really like to fill both the Kuzakhs and Vladimir, so pick whichever you prefer. Great to have you on board bestshot.

And yes. The word 'kuzakh' literally means 'free man' so it is very much a confederacy of autonomous hosts. There are Russians and Mongols and lots of other small Central Asian ethnic groups knocking around.

I'll take the Kuzakhs, then.

Vladimir looks really fun, but it also looks like a fairly standard NESing nation. Kuzakhs look different so I'm gonna roll with them.

I'm away on a business trip of sorts now, so I wont have a whole lot of time to check the forums or mIRC, but I'd like to get on when I get back and talk to you about the region and more of the background for them so I can get a bit of a better understanding of what I've gotten myself into, lol.

Sorry for the double post, but I was just talking to Anonymoose. He's at work but asked me to request he be allowed to play Vladimir. He says when he gets home he'll post a formal request, but he's also interested in Eastern Europe and Russia (we both took Russian together in college) so I believe he would be suited to it.

Also he writes good stories, better than I, and would probably be more entertaining as Vladimir to boot.

Top Bottom