Preferred Game Pace?

Preferred Game Pace

• Total voters

HazzMadd

Chieftain
So I'm curiouse as to what speed people play on the most. I know alto people, veterans of civ especially, prefer the longer, slower paces. (Personally I do too, but the length that it took to hand some prehistoric d-bags a few wooden clubs and tell them to hit things was always a pet peace, luckily found a mod to fix that).

More and more I find myself playing Standard. I found the epic would really drag towards the end of the game (when I knew I already had all but won). Standard sets a pretty good pace overall.

I use normal settings, small map + 2 civ + 4 city state.

I use slomo science, im juggling between 20 and 30% tech pace reduction.

This allows units to stay valid longer before obsolete.

Marathon, for almost all games, allows a particular period to be fought longer by older weapons than rushing for modern.

I mostly play Standard; I've only tried Epic a couple times, and Marathon not at all. While I can understand the appeal of a slower-paced game, I prefer to be able to finish my games in a more expedient fashion so I can move on to the next one. Perhaps that will change once I'm a little more experienced with the game, or if I start pursuing Domination victories more often. Right now, I rarely go after Domination unless an opportunity too good to pass up presents itself (AI civs taking several of each others' capitals, for instance).

In my opinion, from experience, marathon effectively "reduces game difficulty by 1 slot". The AI, even with improvements, doesn't match a human's tactical advantage, and in marathon you're "moving troops" 2 to 4 "times as fast" as other speeds.

I prefer epic because I'm admittedly an O/C city production min/maxer and in standard speed it seems I'm constantly "wasting half turns".

I'm mixed between standard and epic right now. I do like marathon except that it starts so slow and production of certain things can just take forever.

They really need to spread out ancient through medieval eras too. I find myself in the industrial in no time especially if you are doing research agreements. Its 1945 in my current game and I've got lasers and rocketry already researched.

I used to play marathon almost exclusively in Civ IV, but now in Civ V I always go quick.

I don't know why, I just do.

Almost always epic, a few times standard. I like for the units and eras to last a bit longer.

Been playing standard lately, previously it was epic.

I only play epic and huge maps.

Standard but I change the culture and science cost to 25% higher so I have more time playing with unique units.

Marathon all the way.

It might be slightly easier (maybe) but you actually get to use your units. I tried standard once in Civ 5 and by the time I had my units on the front line so to speak I had basically made them all obsolete. The game ended shortly after in a thoroughly unsatisfactory victory.

Top Bottom