Prehistoric Era [BNW] - Total Conversion

Has anyone figured out any tweak/anything to make this mod work with Communitas? I would love to have the functionality of both in my game.

My sincerest apologies. To be honest, this unfinished project plagues my mind every few days. I'll wake up at 3 or 4am thinking about it and get up and work on it for a couple hours. I hate unfinished projects.

As you've seen I've had to slow down for a while. But now, as I've stabilized a few things. I have a plan to get this out. It's ridiculous that it has taken so long.

I do wish I had just a little help.

The reality is ... I've been busy. I co-founded and launched a startup not too long ago. I also recently joined one of the top largest companies in the world as a lead software architect in the CTO's office. It's a big commitment. And, I am also working on a non-profit organization that I hope will save many lives in the future. It's in the legal stages right now.

I love modding. I love community projects (I have a few on GitHub). And, I love Civ. I know what it's like to have developers drop out without a word. And even though it is unpaid work, there should always be a sense of some responsibility towards the community by either finishing your work, getting it to a stable point with proper documentation so that anyone could take over, or performing a proper hand-off. This is all just my opinion.

So, having said all that, I am re-committing to this project. I hope that some of you will help. I will list the things I need. If I don't ask, I won't get.

I have started such a daunting task to get so much out at once that I have created a monster. I should know better. I would never do this--design or recommend or architect--in a professional setting.

It's so ridiculous that I had started such an outrageous timeline for the mod. Let me give you an example of my insanity:

Code:
TRIASSIC
JURASSIC
CRETACEOUS
PALEOGENE (*F = Friendlier Name)
  PALEOCENE (*F)
  EOCENE (*F)
  OLIGOCENE (*F)
NEOGENE (*F)
  MIOCENE (*F)
  PLIOCENE (*F)
LOWER_PALEOLITHIC
MIDDLE_PALEOLITHIC
UPPER_PALEOLITHIC
  Transition: EPIPALEOLITHIC (*F)
MESOLITHIC
NEOLITHIC
COPPER_AGE
BRONZE_AGE
CLASSICAL
DARK
* SCHIZM *
FEUDAL
CALIPHATE (religion) ABASSID
DYNASTY
NOMADIC
MEDIEVAL
  CRUSADES
RENAISSANCE
? REFORMATION
DISCOVERY
  EXPLORATION
COLONIAL
= IMPERIAL
= ENLIGHTENMENT
? THOUGHT
INDUSTRIAL
----------- * POSSIBLE SPLIT TO _______ 
? IMPERIAL
WORLD TREATY / TREATISE
FLIGHT
EMANCIPATION / 
ATOMIC
WAR / EXPANSION /  
CORPORATE
DIGITAL
INFORMATION
DIPLOMACY
RESEARCH
GLOBALIZATION
BIO & ENVIRONMENTALISM
ROBOTICS
* SINGULARITY EVENT
GENETIC / BIOENGINEERING
MECHANICA
NANO
COLLAPSE
NOOTROPIC [humans take back]
QUANTUM
DYSTOPIA
               * RIFT *
SUBTERRA           | EXTRA_TERRA

TRANS-HUMAN        | PROPE-GALACTUS
UNBINDING (ENRGY)  | RECOLONIZATION
  RECLUDAM (latin)
  LIBERUM (latin)
TRIFECTA           | DISENTANGLEMENT
EMBRYONIC          | GALACTIC
           * FIRST CONTACT *
PRIMOGENITOR       | ?
PROVENANCE         | ?
COALESCENCE        | ASCENSION

COADUNATION

- coadunate - united by growth

I had/have this grand vision of starting from the JURASSIC (or even before--the first lifeforms) period and taking man very, very far (and hopefully integrating into the upcoming release). My "vision" was to take it even further. Man would get to the "SINGULARITY" point in which things started to get screwy. Eventually (NOOTROPIC) they take back what is theirs from the "machines". But a DYSTOPIA develops and the GREAT RIFT happens:the separation of basic ideals--physiology, even. Some, because of the dying earth, move underground to find their ancestral beginnings, and to learn and be re-born. Others leave. They take to the stars and re-conolize--begin again. They both eventually reach FIRST CONTACT, the former with the "first lifeforms" (surprise spoiler) and the latter with the first "alien" intelligence. Over time they both learn from the paths and COALESCE or ASCEND. Then the COADUNATION happens and they reunite, different beings with the same origins.

I have notes and outlines for a continuation of this timeline, but I haven't created the in-game techs, bonuses, etc. So, I won't list them. And maybe I'll keep that as a secret for next year. Let's just say, that I am taking some current real-world physics theories and making them truth. Even at the COADUNATION "man" has still not explorer

I haven't finished. And yes, I've created all the listed techs and some (15) of the units. Man, did I get off-track.

So, I've taken a step back. I've forked my code from an earlier stage and I've committed to release a stable version--one that a "few" of you can test for me. Some things will be unfinished and have no impact on the game (a building that does nothing). Some will be fully functional. The zero-impact items would be: buildings, two improvements, and 2-3 resources. I will replace my early resource, SOCIETY, with GOLD. There as no gold, but at least I can get this released.

With your (the community's) feedback on the semi- or fully-functional items, I will finish and stabilize this next less-ambitious version.

WHAT I NEED
  1. artist: iconography
  2. artist: 3d (or teach me a few things that I can't seem to get from the tutorials--some specific unit re-skins, re-mesh, etc.)
  3. artist: scene
  4. audio: voice
  5. environment
  6. artist: 3d buildings and improvements and resources -- both re-defines and new
  7. lua coder: I have very well defined modules and features that I need
  8. lua coder: events: two events I need help with
  9. xml: reviewer
  10. xml: buildings
  11. xml: finish unit progression and power line
  12. game: test individual pieces (before even releasing the 'test' version)
  13. game: gameplay and mechanics: suggestions, review, test, or edits
  14. game: balance testing
  15. xml: wonders: define what they do -- I have about 20+ with a few that needed defining. They are not too powerful.
  16. tech tree: one small glitch left where one tech is "disconnected"
  17. code: a place to store either an invisible city or something to that effect.
  18. xml: improvement: debug

My sincerest apologies. To be honest, this unfinished project plagues my mind every few days. I'll wake up at 3 or 4am thinking about it and get up and work on it for a couple hours. I hate unfinished projects.

As you've seen I've had to slow down for a while. But now, as I've stabilized a few things. I have a plan to get this out. It's ridiculous that it has taken so long.

I do wish I had just a little help.

The reality is ... I've been busy. I co-founded and launched a startup not too long ago. I also recently joined one of the top largest companies in the world as a lead software architect in the CTO's office. It's a big commitment. And, I am also working on a non-profit organization that I hope will save many lives in the future. It's in the legal stages right now.

I love modding. I love community projects (I have a few on GitHub). And, I love Civ. I know what it's like to have developers drop out without a word. And even though it is unpaid work, there should always be a sense of some responsibility towards the community by either finishing your work, getting it to a stable point with proper documentation so that anyone could take over, or performing a proper hand-off. This is all just my opinion.

So, having said all that, I am re-committing to this project. I hope that some of you will help. I will list the things I need. If I don't ask, I won't get.

I have started such a daunting task to get so much out at once that I have created a monster. I should know better. I would never do this--design or recommend or architect--in a professional setting.

It's so ridiculous that I had started such an outrageous timeline for the mod. Let me give you an example of my insanity:

Code:
TRIASSIC
JURASSIC
CRETACEOUS
PALEOGENE (*F = Friendlier Name)
  PALEOCENE (*F)
  EOCENE (*F)
  OLIGOCENE (*F)
NEOGENE (*F)
  MIOCENE (*F)
  PLIOCENE (*F)
LOWER_PALEOLITHIC
MIDDLE_PALEOLITHIC
UPPER_PALEOLITHIC
  Transition: EPIPALEOLITHIC (*F)
MESOLITHIC
NEOLITHIC
COPPER_AGE
BRONZE_AGE
CLASSICAL
DARK
* SCHIZM *
FEUDAL
CALIPHATE (religion) ABASSID
DYNASTY
NOMADIC
MEDIEVAL
  CRUSADES
RENAISSANCE
? REFORMATION
DISCOVERY
  EXPLORATION
COLONIAL
= IMPERIAL
= ENLIGHTENMENT
? THOUGHT
INDUSTRIAL
----------- * POSSIBLE SPLIT TO _______ 
? IMPERIAL
WORLD TREATY / TREATISE
FLIGHT
EMANCIPATION / 
ATOMIC
WAR / EXPANSION /  
CORPORATE
DIGITAL
INFORMATION
DIPLOMACY
RESEARCH
GLOBALIZATION
BIO & ENVIRONMENTALISM
ROBOTICS
* SINGULARITY EVENT
GENETIC / BIOENGINEERING
MECHANICA
NANO
COLLAPSE
NOOTROPIC [humans take back]
QUANTUM
DYSTOPIA
               * RIFT *
SUBTERRA           | EXTRA_TERRA

TRANS-HUMAN        | PROPE-GALACTUS
UNBINDING (ENRGY)  | RECOLONIZATION
  RECLUDAM (latin)
  LIBERUM (latin)
TRIFECTA           | DISENTANGLEMENT
EMBRYONIC          | GALACTIC
           * FIRST CONTACT *
PRIMOGENITOR       | ?
PROVENANCE         | ?
COALESCENCE        | ASCENSION

COADUNATION

- coadunate - united by growth

I had/have this grand vision of starting from the JURASSIC (or even before--the first lifeforms) period and taking man very, very far (and hopefully integrating into the upcoming release). My "vision" was to take it even further. Man would get to the "SINGULARITY" point in which things started to get screwy. Eventually (NOOTROPIC) they take back what is theirs from the "machines". But a DYSTOPIA develops and the GREAT RIFT happens:the separation of basic ideals--physiology, even. Some, because of the dying earth, move underground to find their ancestral beginnings, and to learn and be re-born. Others leave. They take to the stars and re-conolize--begin again. They both eventually reach FIRST CONTACT, the former with the "first lifeforms" (surprise spoiler) and the latter with the first "alien" intelligence. Over time they both learn from the paths and COALESCE or ASCEND. Then the COADUNATION happens and they reunite, different beings with the same origins.

I have notes and outlines for a continuation of this timeline, but I haven't created the in-game techs, bonuses, etc. So, I won't list them. And maybe I'll keep that as a secret for next year. Let's just say, that I am taking some current real-world physics theories and making them truth. Even at the COADUNATION "man" has still not explorer

I haven't finished. And yes, I've created all the listed techs and some (15) of the units. Man, did I get off-track.

So, I've taken a step back. I've forked my code from an earlier stage and I've committed to release a stable version--one that a "few" of you can test for me. Some things will be unfinished and have no impact on the game (a building that does nothing). Some will be fully functional. The zero-impact items would be: buildings, two improvements, and 2-3 resources. I will replace my early resource, SOCIETY, with GOLD. There as no gold, but at least I can get this released.

With your (the community's) feedback on the semi- or fully-functional items, I will finish and stabilize this next less-ambitious version.

WHAT I NEED
  1. artist: iconography
  2. artist: 3d (or teach me a few things that I can't seem to get from the tutorials--some specific unit re-skins, re-mesh, etc.)
  3. artist: scene
  4. audio: voice
  5. environment
  6. artist: 3d buildings and improvements and resources -- both re-defines and new
  7. lua coder: I have very well defined modules and features that I need
  8. lua coder: events: two events I need help with
  9. xml: reviewer
  10. xml: buildings
  11. xml: finish unit progression and power line
  12. game: test individual pieces (before even releasing the 'test' version)
  13. game: gameplay and mechanics: suggestions, review, test, or edits
  14. game: balance testing
  15. xml: wonders: define what they do -- I have about 20+ with a few that needed defining. They are not too powerful.
  16. tech tree: one small glitch left where one tech is "disconnected"
  17. code: a place to store either an invisible city or something to that effect.
  18. xml: improvement: debug
I can't, unfortunately, do any of these, BUT you should ask gyogen2 or
Gilgamesch of the community call to power project (http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=472) to help OR help find people to help you, asking around on different forums and places in general can go a long way, and stay calm and focus on a nomadic system for the current update, or else future updates won't have anything to be included, and it's important to take past players of the mod step by step into the new additions, too much stuff in one update will cause too much feedback too fast, and it would be chaos, if you already started coding for things like Jurassic, etc. then keep that code in but make it so it's disabled for the time being if possible (seen it been done before *cough* modded multiplayer *cough* as it's been disabled in the game code) Anyway, better start asking around ASAP, the sooner the better (or at least ASAP in your free time) Also, the (F*) names should just stay as they are, "Friendly Names" is a bad idea, also, having these names immerses you that much more into the game, even if you don't know how to pronounce them or what they mean, someone who doesn't know what it means will be content enough knowing that it sounds "sciency" And they will also probably end up looking it up and boom, educational. It's just how language is supposed to work anyway, you don't know a word, try finding the meaning, which by all means isn't hard to do these days in fact quite the opposite (well at least for someone who can play Civ V) I feel "Friendlier Names" would ruin the immersion and incredibility of the mod a tad bit for a lot of people out there, plus the names sound cool and "sciency." In fact, why not go to the Civ fanatics forums (not for this mod, but in general mod section for Civ V, as more people will see it) right now and post this up and a link to the mod page, as it will be better for people thinking about helping if they know what the hell the mods about

You really should ask for help on the main forum.

I could offer my help for creating wonders, i have some experience with them;=)

Also i know how to make cities invisible, this will need some lua code to gift a dummy building, but this wouldnt be a problem.

Also i know how to make cities invisible, this will need some lua code to gift a dummy building, but this wouldnt be a problem.
Hopefully he can get around to making that post, as he's obviously very busy, if he doesn't make a post by Thursday then I'll make it for him with all the info needed.

Also, about the disconnected tech, Gilgamesch works on CCTP with gyogen, who made rebuild for the recommended build that fixes a lot of tech loops, long loading times, and MAYBE disconnected techs, all I'll say is he seems to know how to fix tech trees, so you may want to ask him.

Invisible city would be perfect. I could control so much of what I need to control. Essentially--about 80% of what I have left to do (which isn't much) can be accomplished with an invisible city, as opposed to all the Lua coding I am doing. Could you please point me in the right direction (or mod) that does this? Thanks!

For the wonders, I have the artwork, icons, and even some re-purposed and re-factored 3d in-game modeling; what I don't have is the completed XML definitions describing the bonuses in an appropriately balanced manner.

(I also have a capitol-building progression and capitol add-ons, which I will "turn off" for the release since it is not really done).

WONDERS - HISTORICAL ORDER
  • Ardi
  • Laetoli Footprints
  • Lucy
  • First Chopper
  • Olduvai Gorge Tools
  • Twiggy
  • Terra Amata Shelter
  • Schoningen Spears
  • Bhimbetka Rock Shelters
  • Afontora Gora
  • Gesher Benot Ya’aqov
  • Caves (you can only build one from this set of caves, and must have certain terrain/feature requirements)
    • Kebara Cave
    • Cougnac Caves
    • Chauvet Caves
    • Covalanas Cave
    • Coliboaia Cave
  • Sibudu Cave
  • Gobekli Tepe
  • Gulf of Khambhat
  • Le Mas d'Azil
  • Wonderwerk Cave
  • Skara Brae
  • Carnac Stones
  • The Unfinished Obelisk of Aswan
  • The Cairn of Barnenez
  • Temple of Artemis (redesigned; fits timeline)
  • Ggantija Temples
  • Grottes du Pape
  • Newgrange
  • Spotted Horses
  • Gonnersdorf and Andernach
  • Ugarit
  • Theopetra Cave
  • Otzi's Shoes
  • Stonehenge (redesigned)
  • ! Some surprises !

The point of having so many wonders was to give variety to the game. A player will NEVER be able to build all of them or even half of them. There are many restrictions AND they are not overpowered.

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

Example Wonders

Wonder: Ardi
Spoiler :

Wonder: Gonnersdorf and Andernach
Spoiler :

Wonder: Gulf of Khambhat
Spoiler :

----

My latest work in progress can always be found on GitHub.

Releases List:
https://github.com/carlosfhernandez/civ5-prehistoric/tree/master/releases

Latest Experimental v0.3.0e-build114
https://github.com/carlosfhernandez...BNW) (v0.3.0e-build114)[experimental].civ5mod

Iam currently not at home, will return on sunday, and then iam able to have acces to my pc.

Ok iam back.
Like i said before, this fix will only make the city invisibe, the city is still on the map and also the name is showing up. I guess in sv the city will be shown correctly.

It could be that the game also needs to be reloaded once the building is removed.

You can ether grant this building via lua or as a free building.
The example in the spoiler, makes the building also invisble in the cityview.

I hope this helps;=)

Spoiler :

<Buildings>
<!---->
<Row>
<Type>BUILDING_TEST</Type>
<BuildingClass>BUILDINGCLASS_TEST</BuildingClass>
<!--hide this building-->
<PrereqTech>NULL</PrereqTech>
<Cost>-1</Cost>
<FaithCost>-1</FaithCost>
<GreatWorkCount>-1</GreatWorkCount>
<DisplayPosition>2</DisplayPosition>
<NeverCapture>true</NeverCapture>
<NukeImmune>true</NukeImmune>
<IconAtlas>BW_ATLAS_1</IconAtlas>
<PortraitIndex>19</PortraitIndex>
</Row>
</Buildings>
<BuildingClasses>
<Row>
<Type>BUILDINGCLASS_TEST</Type>
<DefaultBuilding>BUILDING_TEST</DefaultBuilding>
<Description>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_TEST</Description>
</Row>

</BuildingClasses>

I've read how busy you are and how much you plan to do, so that it will take long is fine, but could you give us a release date for the next (stable) version? This is an amazing mod (idea) it would be a shame if it is left unfinished. You might ask sukritact tomatekh and pouakai for some help? They have awesome mods and design. Anyway, I hope you get to have some time to work on this. Good luck with that and your professional career.

Ok iam back.
Like i said before, this fix will only make the city invisibe, the city is still on the map and also the name is showing up. I guess in sv the city will be shown correctly.

It could be that the game also needs to be reloaded once the building is removed.

You can ether grant this building via lua or as a free building.
The example in the spoiler, makes the building also invisble in the cityview.

I hope this helps;=)

Spoiler :

<Buildings>
<!---->
<Row>
<Type>BUILDING_TEST</Type>
<BuildingClass>BUILDINGCLASS_TEST</BuildingClass>
<PrereqTech>NULL</PrereqTech>
<Cost>-1</Cost>
<FaithCost>-1</FaithCost>
<GreatWorkCount>-1</GreatWorkCount>
<DisplayPosition>2</DisplayPosition>
<NeverCapture>true</NeverCapture>
<NukeImmune>true</NukeImmune>
<IconAtlas>BW_ATLAS_1</IconAtlas>
<PortraitIndex>19</PortraitIndex>
</Row>
</Buildings>
<BuildingClasses>
<Row>
<Type>BUILDINGCLASS_TEST</Type>
<DefaultBuilding>BUILDING_TEST</DefaultBuilding>
<Description>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_TEST</Description>
</Row>

</BuildingClasses>

Rather than making invisible cities, has any one considered trying to make different kinds of cities with different radiuses and abilities to grow, produce, etc.?

Top Bottom