PreNES: New World

Vylinius

College Student
I haven't ever hosted a NES before, but I was wondering if anyone would have an interest in a NES similar to the ones Daftpanzer makes such as DaftCivNES or DaftNES 3: Alternate-World Fresh Start with this map?
Warning:This Map is rather large.
Spoiler :

This is a climate map and the colors represent the different biomes.
The Dark Green are temperate forests.
The Gold is Mediterranean or Chaparral.
The Brown is Steppe similar to the Mongolian steppe in the more extreme altitudes and more like sparse shrubbery closer to the equator.
The light purple is Tundra/Ice.
The Dark teal color is Taiga Forests of Russia's Siberia.
The Light Green is Temperate Grasslands.
The Bageish color is Desert.
The Bright Green is flood plains similar to the area along the Nile.
The Yellow Green is Jungle similar to Yucatan or Amazonian.
The Fourth Green Color on the Continent in the South West is Bamboo Forests and Southeast Asian Jungles.
The Yellow is African Savanna.

I'd like to thank the original creator of this map and I hope he doesn't mind my use of it in a NES. I would also like to thank anyone for giving me a chance and taking a look at this in the first place.

Do you have any idea of the rules for which the NES would run? In what way would it be similar to Daftpanzer's? He has a very wide range of unique and varying ideas. (Did you do the climate portion of the map?)

I did do the climate portion of the map and I was hoping to run it in a similar way to Daftpanzer's CivNES. Although mine would lack the graphics of it since I am limited to using paint currently and I do not have much skill in art.

I was considering starting on a resource map if there was enough interest in this.

Also to be more specific I was hoping I could run it in similarity to Daft's NESes I hoped to reach his level of narration for each turn, but currently I am a bit divided on the rules of whether it should be similar to the NESes that use rules more based for the earth maps that are used in a lot of NESes around here or to run it more like Daft's CivNes.

Well, Daft's rulesets can be very odd if your intention is to do a standard 'build a nation and develop civ-style' type of NES.

Well the rules I am working on right now and I need to make a resource map I think. Although if anyone has suggestions for rules right now feel free. I just hope for it to be a bit more freeform like Daft's CIVNES. Maybe a little more stringent than that but not as complex as the other NESes around here.

I'd like to thank the original creator of this map and I hope he doesn't mind my use of it in a NES. I would also like to thank anyone for giving me a chance and taking a look at this in the first place.

You by all means have my consent to use the map, and given previous consent, I'm sure Daft has no issues either.:)

I loved both DaftCivNES and (especially) DaftNES3, so I'd be interested in playing Lopez. I do however, have some suggestions for the climate (I can PM if you want), and North King, if he doesn't mind, has extensive knowledge (far more than me), and has repeatedly created the best climate maps (and maps period) around, just look at N3S - III: EoE.

Sure I mainly made the climate map for a rough idea but I am no expert on how climate biomes really form so any help would be welcomed. Also *bows before Matt0088* thank you for making the map. I was in DaftNES3 as the En Corthan actually. That was fun and I've been thinking of starting a NES ever since then. Also if anyone has any ideas or suggestions for rules or if they want to help out just say so.

For starters, I made a rough ocean current map (waaaay beforehand), which plays heavily into determining climate. Looking at the wiki article will probably explain it better than I can myself. :)

Spoiler :

If the currents come from equatorial regions they are warm. if they come from the poles they are cold.

Thanks in that case I may need to add more tundra and taiga into the northwestern area on the map.
I'm also kind of uncertain if adding so much chaparral to the Mediterranean or I perceived Mediterranean type seas was a good idea.
All in All it would be nice if someone could point me to the areas that need editing on the map according to the currents.

What type of resources are you going to have on the map? Grain, metals, etc?

I was think of mainly putting in metals color coded like the climate map and then just using some kind of marker to mark areas where grains or other agricultural resources are more prevalent.

How about horses, elephants, mounts, etc? Cavalry such as these have had a significant hand of the history of civilization. Here are some nice little graphics, should you choose to use them.

http://www.civfanatics.com/civ3/resources/

Ivory = elephants, horses = horses, iron = iron, colored in iron = other metals, etc? This could just make it a little prettier and more graphical, if that's what you're aiming for.

If you look through Nesse: The Chosen City thread, he posted a link to his sprites for that game, I believe.

Once you post a ruleset I'll post some more thoughts. Good luck, I would definitely play.

EDIT: It won't take much graphical wizardry to use those graphics. Just copy and paste from the website as you need them.

Wow I didn't know I could just use those graphics in that case I may just use all of those and place them on the map although I am unsure if I should make resources abundant or more rare....

Top Bottom