1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Preorders, DLC, and Bears oh my!

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by 2K Greg, Jul 20, 2010.

1. 2K Greg

2K Greg <span style="font-weight:bold; text-decoration: un

Okay guys, I have some info for you regarding the recent news about the D2D preorder coming with free DLC.

1. The "2 civilizations + scenario" Premium DLC mentioned on the Direct2Drive preorder page will be purchasable separately by anyone. The D2D preorder bonus is that they give it to you for free. I do not know what the price of this DLC will be.

2. I am getting details for you about what the "Cradle of Civilization" Map Packs are that a couple retailers are offering as bonuses. As soon as I know I'll update this post and let you guys know.

3. We're putting together a webpage to detail for you what the different preorder bonuses are from the different retailers. We want you to be able to make an informed choice, and so soon we'll have that page for you to reference to see what all of your options are.

2. Shiggs713

Shiggs713 Immortal

its about time, and to think we thought you people at 2k just wanted us to throw money blindly at you...

3. paradigmx

paradigmx Say yes to Steam

Will the website include availability of DLC as a standalone purchase after? I'm seriously considering the special edition with the art book and miniatures, but I also want to be able to play as the Babylonians and have the Mesopotamian map as well.

4. ZimbuTheMonkey

ZimbuTheMonkey Chieftain

Thanks.

This is really all we (well I, at least) wanted all along, a little bit of clarity to make an informed choice.

I can't wait on that informational page. :)

5. DarkMaster

DarkMaster Chieftain

If the page could contain the price for the 2 Civs, all the better. I don't mind a deluxe edition with an extra Civ and some other stuff so you can charge the console prices for a PC exclusive, Total War did the same and I really understand, but your DLC model better be fair priced.

6. Luckystrike77

Luckystrike77 Chieftain

Thanks for clearing things up. I want all the civs, hehe. I don't like this dlc stuff, but I'm a Civilization fan as hell (been playing since 1991), so I'll buy it all. Hopefully this won't come at the cost of real expansions that also improves gameplay features. That's what the fans really wants.

7. Ahriman

Ahriman Tyrant

Thank you Greg.

8. 501st Legion

501st Legion Chieftain

Greetings 2K Greg,

I was wondering if it would be possible that the $100 collector's edition would include every single scenario (Cradle of Civilization) and civ (Babylon) so that people have the choice of getting a complete game upon release?

9. ThERat

ThERat Chieftain

Thanks Greg.

Maybe you can feedback to your employer that the way this whole mess is handled is making me pretty reluctant to buy the game.

Versions are thrown at us left and right. I thought it would have been far better if 2k could have made up their mind about what all those single packages cost before various distributors announce the stuff they sell to us. The confusion couldn't have been made worse.

my 2 cents

10. BobDole

BobDole American Leader in Civ VI

I don't like all the preorder bonuses that are all over, but I'm glad you're at least trying to clarify things. Still looks like Direct2Drive has the best by far but who knows, it could change easily...

11. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

12. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Warlord

LOL, I'm going to do what I've done with *every* version of Civ to date-wait for about a week (to hear what people think of the game) then buy it from EBGames or some other retailer. Call me a Luddite if you will, but it just saves me so much stress ;). Still, its good having this info!

Aussie.

13. PinkHammurabi

PinkHammurabi Chieftain

Thanks for looking into it Greg.

The only concern I have is that I'm receiving less content for the same price since I pre-purchased with Steam. As anyone would guess I'm a big Babylonian fan and I REALLY didn't foresee a plethora of options throwing themselves in the air and hoping to stick to something.

14. Pouakai

Pouakai It belongs in a museum. Moderator

Thanks Greg

I was hoping this is the case, and I am sure I am in the minority but I do not mind forking out 5 or 10 bucks for two new civs.

15. CTH

CTH Chieftain

The price I could pay for a DLC depends on how often a new DLC is released. Every 6 months perhaps 10USD (not 10 euros, it would be around 7 euros) more often than that I would not want to pay more than 5USD (but then I could see myself buying all of them :))

16. 501st Legion

501st Legion Chieftain

Since I fear Civ is taking the Total War path of DLC, I believe they should only charge DLC for $ 3.25 a piece - not the insane prices Activision places on the Modern Warfare 2 map packs

17. Schuesseled

Schuesseled Chieftain

I'm not one to let myself be bogged down by annoyance over dlc. But it will be nice to see a go compare type list :D, so thanks greg.

18. Bluetooth

Bluetooth King

This is a mess. Not even the publisher knows what's going on. :nuke:

19. Dale

Dale Chieftain

Is this website of yours going to explain why 2K feels it necessary to charge Australian's twice as much as anyone else? And why certain versions are region locked from us being able to purchase them (D2D Deluxe for one)?

Or can we just expect another month of silence on this issue?

20. Shurdus

Shurdus Am I Napoleon?

Thanks for the update Greg. One question however...

Will Babylon also be available as a sownload for anyone, either as DLC or in an expansion pack, or are we forced to pay $10 for Babylon? I know that the deluxe edition comes with more bonus also, but I would be highly surprised if anyone cared about those.