Prepare to be amazed... and a little frightened

You aren't supposed to do heavy weights before age 18. Stunts growth. Dunno what defines heavy weights but i reckon that kid would know.

Originally posted by WillJ
Why is there a difference?
Because wieght lifting drives up adreneline, some is good, like a good workout. Too much will fatigue the heart casuing cardiovascular disorders.

Also wieght lifting for that period of time, puts a great deal of stress on the body, all the energy is diverted from growth and put towards these muscles because the body percieves that growth as neccesary for survival and so other functions take the back seat, and since every time he can achieve something he immediatly adds more weight causing the stress to contiue. The result? a developmentally stunted child.

About the growth problem : if I remember well, this is due to several factors.

The main one is the strain put on bones, as it was already said. When you're 18 or so and your growth is finished, it's no problem. But when you're 10 and you're in full growth, the bones are more fragile, and are "under construction". Putting severe strain on them force them to consolidate themselves rather than grow.
In fact, endurance running is NOT GOOD AT ALL for children, as it put heavy pressure on the heel. For a child's one, which has frail bones, it can be very damaging. Short running are good, though.

There is also the hormonal problem. When you do sports, and especially strenght-based one, you alter the hormone production.
Lenghtly practice of strenght sports with considerable intensity, as this child is doing, can over time unbalance your hormonal system, leading to trouble (like for the gymnast, who have very late puberty, as it was already said).
I think, though, it's less severe for men, whose hormonal system is already naturally more bended toward strenght.

This child will probably not grow much taller. He will probably have some health trouble.
And more than anything else, he's pressuring and straining his body while it's in construction. This means that he's inflicting permanent damage, as he's hampering the building itself, and his body is much more fragile now.

In his 30's or 40's, he'll probably have severe trouble of joints, arthritis, and perhaps some muscular tearing and so on.

yeah, it's a shame this kid is for real. i dont think u should strength train till at least 13, and then use proper form, as always.

In order for a 10-year old to have that kind of lean muscle mass, he'd NEED to be taking some kind of synthetc testosterone. As soon as I opened the page, the first thing that came to mind was, "man.... they've got the poor kid on 'roids".

Talk about - going to regret it in the future. Taking 'roids POST-puberty is still going to seriously... ahem... screw you up. Let's just put it that way. But as a little kid?! Man, he's totally ruined for life.

Originally posted by bobgote
You aren't supposed to do heavy weights before age 18. Stunts growth. Dunno what defines heavy weights but i reckon that kid would know.
I think the age limit most gyms use has more to do with youngin's not knowing how to work out properly, and having a good possibility of injuring themselves.
Originally posted by Dr Alimentado
I can't be bothered to go find stats to back it up but my annecdotal evidence is this: When I did Judo as a youngster we were specifically not allowed to weight train until we were 18 because it was damaging to a growing body. We were however given pretty rigourous circuit training from about 14+.

I trust the wisdom of my old Judo instructor (he was a european champion fwiw), oh, and this was backed up by his 'protege' who was an olympic under-21 competitor.
Bah, what do Judo instructors know? :p
Originally posted by Perfection
Because wieght lifting drives up adreneline, some is good, like a good workout. Too much will fatigue the heart casuing cardiovascular disorders.
And there can be too much before you even feel greatly tired?

If not, it's of course common sense to stop working out when you get extremely tired. :)
Originally posted by Perfection
Also wieght lifting for that period of time, puts a great deal of stress on the body, all the energy is diverted from growth and put towards these muscles because the body percieves that growth as neccesary for survival and so other functions take the back seat, and since every time he can achieve something he immediatly adds more weight causing the stress to contiue. The result? a developmentally stunted child.
Yes, it takes energy. That's where more food comes in.
Originally posted by Turner_727
@WJ - Look at all the women gymnasts. They work out about as much as this guy does, maybe more. They're all really short and undergrown. Their puberty didn't kick in until way late. (I'm sure someone has already brought this up.)
Gymnasts work out a lot? I seriously doubt they have to be extremely strong. Flexible and agile, yes, but weight training and such? :hmm: Plus I think it may have something to do with short girls having an advantage at gymnastics, not gymnastics making you short. But what do I know about gymnastics....
Originally posted by Speedo
Apparently you've never done weight training, or you'd know that there's a helluva lot of differece between casually doing stuff with free weights and seriously spending hours a day at it.

I feel sorry for the kid.
Yes, that's true. But I have no interest in working out several hours a day, and instead a couple (maybe one). Obviously you shouldn't overwork yourself, and whether or not the boy is overworking himself I don't know, but he probably is. In fact, I now completely agree that this kid is messed up. However, what I got to arguing about was whether or not growing kids working out a bit (for example, a 14 year-old working out an hour a day) stunts growth. If no one thinks it does (which seems like the case), then I should shut up and we can all happily agree. :)
Originally posted by Akka
The main one is the strain put on bones, as it was already said. When you're 18 or so and your growth is finished, it's no problem. But when you're 10 and you're in full growth, the bones are more fragile, and are "under construction". Putting severe strain on them force them to consolidate themselves rather than grow.
Well, if your arms feel like they're about to fall off you probably should stop. :) If the kid works out feeling like he's about to die he is of course doing something wrong.
Originally posted by Akka
There is also the hormonal problem. When you do sports, and especially strenght-based one, you alter the hormone production.
Lenghtly practice of strenght sports with considerable intensity, as this child is doing, can over time unbalance your hormonal system, leading to trouble (like for the gymnast, who have very late puberty, as it was already said).
I think, though, it's less severe for men, whose hormonal system is already naturally more bended toward strenght.
I'm no nutritionist or athletic scientist, but I'm pretty sure that hormones have NOTHING to do with working out, and instead just affect your "natural" strength and body composition. Lots of hormones can make your muscles stronger and make workouts easier, but I think you're mistaken when you say that working out "redirects" hormones. Working out makes your muscles add new cells and therefore increases their size and power, NOT create or redirect hormones. At least AFAIK.

Well you see, this kid isn't just doing casual workouts. He's got to be spending 3-4 hours a day in the weight room and is most likely on steroids. We're not saying that just picking up a weight will keep you a midget, but heavy workouts like what he has to be doing will affect growth.

Gymnasts work out a lot? I seriously doubt they have to be extremely strong. Flexible and agile, yes, but weight training and such? Plus I think it may have something to do with short girls having an advantage at gymnastics, not gymnastics making you short. But what do I know about gymnastics....

Not very much. . . they don't 'work out' like this kid does. But they are quite active (very much more so than any kid on a basketball or football team) in practicing gymnastics and some do work out in the gym on weights. And most of these girls are older, in the 13-15 year old range. And their growth is stunted. many of these kids are all under 5' tall. And while women tend to be shorter, they are quite short. I recall seeing a picture of Kim Zmeskal after the '92 olympics going to school. Her bodyguards were about two feet taller than her. And it looked so much more.

So yeah, they don't 'work out' like that. But they put their bodies through as much if not more than he does.

Edit: Found this pic of Kim. Tell me she doesn't work out. . .

And there can be too much before you even feel greatly tired?

If not, it's of course common sense to stop working out when you get extremely tired.
The adrenalene allows you to work past being tired, then it takes a toll on your body
Yes, it takes energy. That's where more food comes in.
It's about energy distribution, all that food he eats will make a beeline to his muscles because his body puts the over exerted muscles as a top priority.
Lots of hormones can make your muscles stronger and make workouts easier, but I think you're mistaken when you say that working out "redirects" hormones. Working out makes your muscles add new cells and therefore increases their size and power, NOT create or redirect hormones. At least AFAIK.
It also produces hormones to build your body such as adrenalene and steroids, when it does so, it alters your body chemistry to redirect energy from growth to muscle building

yep.. this fellows definately on steroids...

...stupid american...

Top Bottom