Hello,
What decides whether I capture a native city or not? Sometimes I do, sometimes I just raze it to 1 pop. With the bigger ones I'd like to conquer it.
Thank you

What decides whether I capture a native city or not?
Native Villages are not captured by Europeans in Civ4Col.

The code does not allow it because the game would not offer any game mechanics for it.
What should a European do with a Native Village? (Considering current game mechanics.)

Also it would conflict with current game logic and configuration.
(e.g. The Native Buildings and Native Units are not valid for Europeans and vice versa.)

So if you want to change that you need to implement new game mechanics for captured Native Settlements.
(That will require new code but of course also changes in e.g. XML, Python and graphics.)

Sometimes I do, ...
I have never seen a Native Village being captured by Europeans. :confused:
They are supposed to always be razed if conquered by Europeans.

If that is not the case anymore, we would have a bug.
Which release do you play? Official public release 3.0.1 or something else?

The code does not allow it because the game would not offer any game mechanics for it.
What should a European do with a Native Village? (Considering current game mechanics.)

(e.g. The Native Buildings and Native Units are not valid for Europeans and vice versa.)

So if you want to change that you need to implement new game mechanics for captured Native Settlements.
(That will require new code but of course also changes in e.g. XML, Python and graphics.)

Official release as far as I can tell! Maybe I just misremembered or something, but I'm sure I took Tenochtitlan (because I renamed it to Mexico City!). I will keep an eye out next time. Or perhaps it is something to do with the Aztecs specifically?

mexico city.png

Apologies for double replying but I managed to find the save. You can see here - Mexico, founded 1492. This was in the RAR America Huge map, starting as Spain, where Tenochtitlan is a pre-placed Aztec city.

Apologies for double replying but I managed to find the save.
Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

This was in the RAR America Huge map, ...
Strange. Never seen that happen in "randomized" games (random Map or game generated by MapSript). :confused:
And as I said the code should explicitly prevent a Native Settlement to be captured by a European and vice versa.
(Unless I am gravely mistaken and completely remember the code wrong.)

However MapMakers can configure lots of strange stuff in Scenario Maps by Worldbuilder.
e.g.
  • You could also give yourself Units which you are normally not allowed to have.
  • You could also give Units Professions which they are normally not allowed to have.
  • You could also place Terrain Features or Bonus Resources on Plots where they are normally not allowed.

So you might e.g. create a "European Colony" and give it to the Natives as new owner.
However, I have never tested what happens then if you conquer it ... :dunno:

----

Summary:

Scenario Maps are not "normal" game rules.
The Map Maker can actually create his own rules in his map.
(Which might however also cause bugs with the core mod.)

Last edited:
Hello everybody! I just have a quick question on the Archbishop's mechanics, and I have looked throughout the forum and haven't been able to find an answer. Every time you use the Archbishop to raise relations with your king or another European leader, the cost to do so goes up. I was curious if there is a cap on how much it could go to.

I was curious if there is a cap on how much it could go to.
No, there is no cap implemented.
Theoretically it could rise "infinitely".

I actually never expected that the feature was used that much.
I considered it more of a feature that only in special use cases mad sense.

Use Cases I had in mind:
A) This stupid European AI is really angry and might declare War on me - which I currently really do not want - so I rather appease it
B) My King really is angry, so I rather try to get him happy - so he is less harsh in tax raises and more generous in events

But as I said, I never expected it to be used more than a couple of times in a game - I have played games I never used that feature once.
(Especially once it gets expensive, I do not consider it to be worth paying the Archbishop to raise relations.)

Thanks for the quick reply! I didn't realize the malus you get every time you ask the king for troops, so I racked up a lot of negative relation with him. I have using the archbishop to claw back some of the relationship. You live and you learn I guess!

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with pirates? It seems like they can spawn up to 4 Pirate Frigates by 1600, meanwhile I am lucky if i can afford more than one Corvette. And this Corvette can only do a 30% victory against a pirate ship, so if he fails he's dead...

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with pirates?

If you feel that it is balanced a bit too harsh, you can also adjust the balancing settings in GlobalDefinesAlt.xml.

Increasing "MIN_ROUND_PIRATES", will let them appear later in game.
Decreasing "BASE_CHANCE_PIRATES" will let them appear less often.
Increasing "TIMER_PIRATES" to a higher value, will increase the time between spawns.

Spoiler :

Code:
    <Define>
       <DefineName>MIN_ROUND_PIRATES</DefineName>
       <iDefineIntVal>100</iDefineIntVal>
   </Define>
   <Define>
       <DefineName>BASE_CHANCE_PIRATES</DefineName>
       <iDefineIntVal>20</iDefineIntVal>
   </Define>
   <Define>
       <DefineName>PRICE_PIRATES</DefineName>
       <iDefineIntVal>2000</iDefineIntVal>
   </Define>
   <Define>
       <DefineName>TIMER_PIRATES</DefineName>
   </Define>

--------

Generally "Pirate Frigates" are supposed to be more of a "try to run and hide" in early game instead of a "attack heads on and fight" feature.
So you are not necessarily supposed to easily win against them with your first Combat Ships.

By the way, when you see "Privateers", then those are from the other European Players, not the "Barbarian Civ".
The other European Players will go Pirating as well relatively early on some times.

In midgame, once you build your Navy, those Privateers are little more than XP givers for your Navy to prepare for the King's Fleet.
(But yeah, they may be annoying some of your Trade Ships, Fishing and Whaling Boats if you are not careful.)

--------

Otherwise use this tactic:

Get a Ship like e.g. Corvette or Frigate once they show up, or even earlier.
Scout as much of the Map as possible and collect all "Water Goodies" to get some XP.
Only once your Corvette has enough Promotions, start attacking the Pirates.

Don't waste "Water Goodies" for Trade Ships.
(The Combat Ships will profit more from it on the long term.)

--------

If you invest all your money just into other stuff, you might of course have a problem. But yeah, it is tempting not to prepare. :)
But don't worry, you are not the first player who was caught unprepared by "Pirate Frigates" or "Privateers" showing up.
It is one of these features that is supposed to prevent the player from being lazy and casually focussing just on economy.

If you feel that it is balanced a bit too harsh, you can also adjust the balancing settings in GlobalDefinesAlt.xml.

Increasing "MIN_ROUND_PIRATES", will let them appear later in game.
Decreasing "BASE_CHANCE_PIRATES" will let them appear less often.
Increasing "TIMER_PIRATES" to a higher value, will increase the time between spawns.

Spoiler :

Code:
    <Define>
       <DefineName>MIN_ROUND_PIRATES</DefineName>
       <iDefineIntVal>100</iDefineIntVal>
   </Define>
   <Define>
       <DefineName>BASE_CHANCE_PIRATES</DefineName>
   </Define>
   <Define>
       <DefineName>PRICE_PIRATES</DefineName>
       <iDefineIntVal>2000</iDefineIntVal>
   </Define>
   <Define>
       <DefineName>TIMER_PIRATES</DefineName>
   </Define>

--------

Generally "Pirate Frigates" are supposed to be more of a "try to run and hide" in early game instead of a "attack heads on and fight" feature.
So you are not necessarily supposed to easily win against them with your first Combat Ships.

By the way, when you see "Privateers", then those are from the other European Players, not the "Barbarian Civ".
The other European Players will go Pirating as well relatively early on some times.

In midgame, once you build your Navy, those Privateers are little more than XP givers for your Navy to prepare for the King's Fleet.
(But yeah, they may be annoying some of your Trade Ships, Fishing and Whaling Boats if you are not careful.)

--------

Otherwise use this tactic:

Get a Ship like e.g. Corvette or Frigate once they show up, or even earlier.
Scout as much of the Map as possible and collect all "Water Goodies" to get some XP.
Only once your Corvette has enough Promotions, start attacking the Pirates.

Don't waste "Water Goodies" for Trade Ships.
(The Combat Ships will profit more from it on the long term.)

--------

If you invest all your money just into other stuff, you might of course have a problem. But yeah, it is tempting not to prepare. :)
But don't worry, you are not the first player who was caught unprepared by "Pirate Frigates" or "Privateers" showing up.
It is one of these features that is supposed to prevent the player from being lazy and casually focussing just on economy.
Makes lots of sense. This is a more technical question and may just be me being obtuse, but how do I deal with the specific problem of my ships having to travel further to reach Europe? As in, it takes two or three turns from port to Europe, so they spend turns sitting like dead ducks in the water. I set my corvettes on sentry mode, but as far as I can tell it isn't enough, as pirates can move from out of the fog of war to attack my trade ships. So how would I go about avoiding this.

... but how do I deal with the specific problem of my ships having to travel further to reach Europe?
If the distance to Europe Travel Plots is longer then send your Combat Ships as Convoy Guard Ships with them until they reach the Europe Travel Plot.
It requires more micro-management of course than just putting your corvette on stationary "sentry" mode", but such a "Convoy" it is safer for your ships as well.

Basically, join the Units to a group until you reach the Europe Travel Plot.
Once the Ship can sail safely to Europe split again so your Combat Ship may guard another one.

The mod is simply not supposed to play "casual". It wants to keep you on your toes the complete time - especially in early game. :)
There may be some micro-management of Units involved for doing so because automatization will often not give results good enough.

So I downloaded this to try it out. I also downloaded "yields" and did a little copy n pasting to 3.2 just for fun. I really love the improved graphics with Yields. Now I can't go back to 3.02 . The game is running fine with my "copy paste". Of course the new yields/units aren't relevant but I love the graphics.

If you want to take a sneak preview of "Yields", it is better to just get "Yields".
It is a complete branch and contains all it needs. It is simply not fully implemented or balanced.

------

"Yields" is going to heavily change the mod from a Simple-4X-Game to a 4X-TradeEmpireSim-Hybrid.
I am planning to overhaul the Economy-System and implement something more dynamic, complex and immersive.

------

Now I can't go back to 3.0.2
Still, it is the most stable and reliable branch we have. It will be published next, while other branches are still in work.

... but I love the graphics.
Thanks, but we still need time to finish it, so please have a bit of patience. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Thanks, it will save us a lot of confusion and prevent disappointment of community members. :thumbsup:

---------

@Nightinggale and @devolution are currently a bit busy, but once they are available Release 3.0.2 should be published soon.
(They are currently investing most of the effort into this branch by fixing bugs or implementing other improvements.)

Once Release 3.0.2 is finished and published all of it needs to be merged into "Plains".
(e.g. @devolution has created AI improvements not yet merged to "Plains".)

After that, we may try to finally publish "Plains" together, so it might also be merged into "Yields".
(Plains has also continued development e.g. bugfixes and text improvements after "Yields" was based from it.)

Once "Yields" is finished, I might also share my work in "Crime and Law" with the public.
(It is currently not available to public, because there is too much confusion already.)

---------

Step 1: Release 3.0.2
Step 2: "Plains" (internal title) --> This is the big blocker.
Step 3: "Yields" (internal title)
Step 4: "Crime and Law" (internal title, not public)
Step 5: ....

Summary:

There is simply a huge backlog of stuff that has to be finished, published and merged in a systematic way.
But to do so, team members simply need to be find time and motivation. :dunno:

Last edited:
Top Bottom