Present Day

daniel h

Chieftain
Hi, I got bored of waiting around for someone to make a present day scenario for BTS so I just went ahead and made my own! The scenario is ready to go, but there are two major problems - I have no idea how to host the file, so if someone feels merciful please let me know (or if someone would be willing to host?) as this is my first attempt. Secondly I haven't playtested it extensively, so once I get the file up I expect to be making a lot of modifications as I get feedback.

Credit is due to King Kong, mamba and a couple of other people for flag graphics, the map is Earth (Huge). I also took inspiration from Max Riga's mod as you can see from the civ colours.

Civs available to play -
United States (incl. Canada)
Russia
European Union
China
Japan (incl. S Korea & Taiwan)
ASEAN
Australia (incl. NZ)
Great Britain (incl. Norway, Ireland, Iceland, Greenland)
India
African Union
Arab League
Israel
Iran
Pakistan (incl. Afghanistan)
Brazil
Latin America (left-leaning countries; Venezuela, Argentina, Cuba, etc)
South America (right-leaning countries; Mexico, Colombia, etc)
North Korea

There are no graphic/unit modifications besides flags (so far). Also this is pretty city/unit heavy so it might be a lot for older computers. Anyway like I said if someone can give me pointers on how to upload this, it should be ready for downloading when I get back this evening.

DOWNLOAD
(stick the flag graphics in Beyond the Sword/Assets/Art/Interface/TeamColor)

Screenshots -

Middle East
Korean Peninsula
Afghanistan
Colombia

1st Edit (09/04/2009)

Finally got round to doing an revamp. I've submitted the new file which will work with the old flag graphics (which are hopefully still in the DL section. Let me know if something screwed up)
- changed/improved leaders, e.g. changed Catherine of Russia to Stalin, etc.
- changed buildings to corresponding civ-unique ones so you can't "double build"
- altered military compositions, e.g. China now starts with the majority of its armoured forces as Tanks instead of Modern Armor, Iran reduced to one Destroyer, addition of a British controlled fort on Cyprus, etc.
- altered culture output; Versailles moved from Paris to St Petersburg as the former swamped London with culture and the latter was swamped by the EU, Mahabodhi moved from Calcutta to Lhasa for same reason, etc.
- removed the cities of Yaounde (AU), Medan (ASEAN), Copenhagen (EU), Tenerife (EU)
- added Trondheim as Oslo gets swamped by EU culture (removal of Copenhagen should help)
- added Martinique (EU)
- substituted St Helena for Ascension (different geographical location), switched ownership of Diego Garcia from USA to UK.
- fixed some diplomatic errors

Probably be a long time before another edit, I haven't been playing that much recently.

Well, I guess the World 2009 mod is taking thorough preparations, but to answer your question: if you go the Civ4 Downloads Database, there's a button which allows you to upload any reasonably sized file.;)

Great Britain (and Ireland) is part of the European Union. A lot of those scenarios with the European Union seem to make this mistake. I have no idea why. A lot of other countries than Great Britain has political parties opposed to membership of the EU and I consider it very unlikely that Great Britain would actually leave the EU. Anyway, it is your scenario. I have just wondered about this a few times.

Well, I guess the World 2009 mod is taking thorough preparations

Haha whoops, I didn't even know about that. I always just peek in this subforum for new stuff, I take it back if I implied that no-one was doing anything! In comparison this is just a rough, pirated trailer for it.

bclund -

The UK civ originally was Canada, and I started out with the UK/etc as part of the EU. However once I started testing it, it quickly became apparent that the USA was far too weak in relation to the EU and Russia, and that the EU was far too strong. The rankings were EU/Russia/USA. I decided to correct this by giving Canada to the USA and detaching the 'Atlantic' members of the EU under the umbrella of the UK. This resulted in the more realistic initial ranking of USA/EU/Russia (I wanted to make Russia second but couldn't find a satisfying way of doing it, so I've left it for the time being. In any case in my playtesting Russia becomes second sooner or later). The separation of the UK from the EU is imperfect in such a scenario, but there are also some justifiable reasons for doing so - distinct foreign policy, abstention from the Euro, the fact that the Bank of England remains separate from the ECB and that Britain has a permanent UNSC seat alongside France.

About the scenario in general, as I've said before I haven't had the chance to playtest much so I'll do some tweaking once I get round to it. Pakistan incorrectly flies the Saudi flag as that was the closest approximation I could find. I'm aware that the barbarian strength is vastly overrepresented, but that's deliberate, otherwise the Iraq/Afghanistan/Somalia/Congo/Colombia conflicts are decided too quickly. I'll see if I can get to grips with a spawning generator with specific locations for barbarians, that should even things out a lot.

Apart from all that, hope you enjoy it!

Nice, i would try it :goodjob:

How many cities per civ in average ?

Great Britain (and Ireland) is part of the European Union. A lot of those scenarios with the European Union seem to make this mistake. I have no idea why. A lot of other countries than Great Britain has political parties opposed to membership of the EU and I consider it very unlikely that Great Britain would actually leave the EU. Anyway, it is your scenario. I have just wondered about this a few times.

I don't know how the British view this issue (look to my user name for a hint towards my nationality :D,) but the UK is seen as an independent, sovereign entity apart from the EU, which is why I didn't see a problem with them being separate from the bloc. I would've given control of Greenland to the EU, but it isn't my scenario. :)

Edit: Can you please make a version of this scenario for those of us who don't have decent computers? Maybe a standard-sized Earth map, or a map of one of the continents? Thanks! :)

I'll check it out.;)

EDIT: If you put your map in a PublicMaps (or PrivateMaps) folder, it'll show up as a scenario.

I don't know how the British view this issue (look to my user name for a hint towards my nationality :D,) but the UK is seen as an independent, sovereign entity apart from the EU, which is why I didn't see a problem with them being separate from the bloc. I would've given control of Greenland to the EU, but it isn't my scenario. :)

us brits view the issue as this, is pretty much what you said, theres alot who are anti - european in britain and like to think we are seperate but we are part of the EU but for me the main reason to leave uk seperate would be being one of the superpowers whether that be Economic superpowers or which ever you prefer but then you could also argue france and germany should be seperate for the same reason and as for greenland it maybe under "home rule" now but its still part of denmark and denmark is part of the EU

like the map but norway not quite right, also should consider added a couple of the British overseas territories like Ascension Island and British Indian Ocean Territory as they are joint military facility of UK and USA

like the map but norway not quite right, also should consider added a couple of the British overseas territories like Ascension Island and British Indian Ocean Territory as they are joint military facility of UK and USA

What do you think about Norway? Should there be another city further up the coast, or what? Or are you talking about it not being part of the EU (it isn't)?

Britain already has St Helena which I originally thought should be called Ascension but that's not geographically correct. If it has BOTH St Helena and Ascension I think that's a bit too much (personally I'm not that much of a fan of 1 tile island cities). As for IOT there's currently Diego Garcia, but it's under USA rule. Might switch it to UK in another version.

Thanks for DLing btw!

Nice, i would try it :goodjob:

How many cities per civ in average ?

Tough question! North Korea only has one, whereas Russia has around... 30?

'Average' civs like Brazil, India have around 9-10 cities.

AmericanEagle24 -

To be honest I made the scenario for selfish reasons, to play it myself! However I might make a less intensive version in the next few weeks depending on how much free time I have.

What do you think about Norway? Should there be another city further up the coast, or what? Or are you talking about it not being part of the EU (it isn't)?

Britain already has St Helena which I originally thought should be called Ascension but that's not geographically correct. If it has BOTH St Helena and Ascension I think that's a bit too much (personally I'm not that much of a fan of 1 tile island cities). As for IOT there's currently Diego Garcia, but it's under USA rule. Might switch it to UK in another version.

Thanks for DLing btw!

well norway does go all the way along the coast and up over finland, its ur map my friend but i personnaly when i make a world map i add a city half way up to cover the coast and then put another city up above finland to cover that larger area. as for st helena/ascension well altho ascension is part of st helena if your only willing to have one then ascension would be better purely because its a join base but i like to add overseas terriories of countries specialy uk and france because it covers some of the 1 cell islands on the map and stops any of the AI's building a city there and well diego garcia is a british island not american.

this EU / britain thing looks strange to me.

first i think britain should be in EU, it has no special "power" in terms of size or economie that makes it outstanding, in fact germany is the biggest member in terms of size and economy and britain is absolutely equal to france in economy and in terms of size to france, italy and poland (all arround 60 million citizens).

if you want to keep britain out for balancing reasons (which i understand) then please dont give them skandinavia countrys and iceland. thats not logical at all, honestly speaking it would make sence to give them canada (much more likely then giving it to the US) and australia as they have a traiditonal alliance with britain wich remains also in today-times.

thats all so far, i have to check it out further ;-)

this EU / britain thing looks strange to me.

first i think britain should be in EU, it has no special "power" in terms of size or economie that makes it outstanding, in fact germany is the biggest member in terms of size and economy and britain is absolutely equal to france in economy and in terms of size to france, italy and poland (all arround 60 million citizens).

if you want to keep britain out for balancing reasons (which i understand) then please dont give them skandinavia countrys and iceland. thats not logical at all, honestly speaking it would make sence to give them canada (much more likely then giving it to the US) and australia as they have a traiditonal alliance with britain wich remains also in today-times.

thats all so far, i have to check it out further ;-)

:confused: How is giving the UK control over Canada and Australia more logical in a present day scenario? Giving control of Iceland, Norway and Greenland to the EU doesn't make any sense as they're not in the EU. If anything I wanted to detach the 'Atlantic' part of Europe as I've explained before, and giving overall control to the UK is more realistic than naming it the 'Nordic Alliance' or something. As for saying Germany should be a separate civ, if you don't see how the UK is an 'outsider' from the EU in ways that France and Germany simply aren't, I don't know what to say.

Simply put I'm not going to give the UK to the EU; the latter becomes the pre eminent power if that happens and it reflects on the divisions still inherent in Europe. I'm not British myself but I seem to be detecting a pattern of anti-UK complaints in here, haha...

A solution should be using a 40 Civs dll for a detailed present day...

After all, Earth has 220 Capitals today...

40 Civs is not too much for this map :goodjob:

:confused: How is giving the UK control over Canada and Australia more logical in a present day scenario? Giving control of Iceland, Norway and Greenland to the EU doesn't make any sense as they're not in the EU. If anything I wanted to detach the 'Atlantic' part of Europe as I've explained before, and giving overall control to the UK is more realistic than naming it the 'Nordic Alliance' or something. As for saying Germany should be a separate civ, if you don't see how the UK is an 'outsider' from the EU in ways that France and Germany simply aren't, I don't know what to say.

Simply put I'm not going to give the UK to the EU; the latter becomes the pre eminent power if that happens and it reflects on the divisions still inherent in Europe. I'm not British myself but I seem to be detecting a pattern of anti-UK complaints in here, haha...

nah definitely no anti uk people in here, we are as well loved as the americans so theres not way there is any anti uk complaints in here :lol:

Australia and Canada are part of the Commonwealth, it would make much more sense to have them as UK than having Norway and Iceland as UK (which have never been part of the Commonwealth). Realistically though, neither reflects the current situation. All the EU countries should be separate countries, but Allied to each other. If they were truely one nation they would be 'top' as you put it, but sadly they are not yet truely united.

Making Southern Ireland part of the modern UK is plain ridiculous.

no offense mate, i just suggested something.
no UK bashing at all, you might open up a bit for suggestions.

- greenland is connected to denmark which also does greenlands foreign policy.

- iceland is independed and not in the EU but connected to the scandinavians not to the UK

- canada & australia are parts of the commonwealth and i still think they would fit more realistic to the UK then iceland and greenland.

i never told that germany or france should be outside the EU - same as the UK should be part of it as this is our current situation, ireland is a full EU member (including EURO) as well. i understand your idea to create a third western faction with UK but its not realistic at all ... same like putting canada into US ;-)

no offense mate, i just suggested something.
no UK bashing at all, you might open up a bit for suggestions.

- greenland is connected to denmark which also does greenlands foreign policy.

- iceland is independed and not in the EU but connected to the scandinavians not to the UK

- canada & australia are parts of the commonwealth and i still think they would fit more realistic to the UK then iceland and greenland.

i never told that germany or france should be outside the EU - same as the UK should be part of it as this is our current situation, ireland is a full EU member (including EURO) as well. i understand your idea to create a third western faction with UK but its not realistic at all ... same like putting canada into US ;-)

Haha sorry if I came off as a bit hostile, I just got a bit irritated that you said my placement 'was not logical at all' and then suggested something even more illogical. I'm aware that my scenario isn't fully realistic but I'm trying to balance that with good gameplay. Like I said I'm not planning on altering the EU/UK situation, I'll leave the complete realism to the World 2009 modders. Peace!

To the guy talking about S Ireland as part of the UK being 'plain ridiculous', thanks! :rolleyes: I might change it so that it's Belfast instead.

I'm just really curious as to why the UK got the most complaints when there are similar situations with other civs; e.g. Turkey being part of the EU, S Korea and Taiwan being part of Japan, the Latin/South American civs.

Top Bottom