Presidential Address: WAR WITH PERSIA!

Donovan Zoi

The Return
People of Fanatikos,

It is with my great displeasure that I announce to you a minor threat to our nation. In response to our refusal to give into their unwelcome demands for our vast knowledge, Persia has declared war upon us.

It started innocently enough, with a not-so-veiled threat by Xerxes against our sovereignty if we did not part with the knowledge that gave us our Great Library of Aristotle. Having much respect for the continued progress of our scientists, I chose to honor their achievements by saying "NO." With no clear direction from the FA department, I felt that I was within my rights to personally make this call.

Now the vile Persians have declared war, and while we are this close to being able to consider the Republic government. Some things to consider:

1. France and Rome have expanded to form a partial buffer against any Persian threat. However, I believe that France has granted the Persian right of passage for the near future.

2. Persia does not have access to Iron, but does have access to Horses. So we would need to ready ourselves for a quick but not so powerful attack.

3. At this point, Persia is still considrerd to have a weaker military than we do.

Please post your thoughts at this time regarding our plans. What diplomacy should we pursue? Should we expedite an offensive, defensive or "cold" war? Which city of theirs do we wish to keep for ourselves? ;)

Lastly, if anyone feels wronged by my unilateral decision to rebuff the arrogance of the Persian warlord Xerxes, I welcome you to lodge a Citizen Complaint against me to the Judiciary. I have always tried to act in the best interest of Fanatikos, and feel that I have done so here as well. I can assure you that this meaningless distraction is only a minor setback in our road to glory.

Respectfully,

Donovan Zoi
President of Fanatikos

I wait to here from the military and foreign affairs departments before commenting (i mean the elected FA minister not the president)

Hmm, Persia. Maybe we should start a Domino War. ;)

I say we build up our swords, and my city will certainly help that effort.

Our capital HAS been building workers to fill up the surrounding cities while I was away, right...?

M'kay, (Mr. Garrison) this really shouldn't be much of a problem, I'm guessing that most people here DONT want to compltley destroy Persia, which would be rather hard, due to the fact that France and Rome are in the way. We can get around them but it isn't easy.

So In all I suggest more a Cold or Defensive war, that we fight our using Horses to patrol our borders, backed up by a Swordsman or two, and then in the cities themselves we have Hoplites defending our cities themselves.

If we do decide to go on the offensive though, we'll have to work with the FA Ministery and find out how to arrange a right of passage with France or Rome, and then build up our forces.

For a long-term affair, I suggest Swordsmen, Horsemen, Catapults and a force of Hoplites as well, but thats ONLY if we want to hang this one out and do some serious damage, (I don't recommend this option)

For a shorter term offensive affair, we should build a force of SwordsMan, Horseman and Maybe a single Hoplite or two. Then we all know the drill after that, ravage anything not within city walls, and be-siege a city or two beofre taking our booty and heading back to Fanatikosian lands. (I recommend this option if we choose to wage the offensive)

-Ranger99-

I disagree with the warmongers here, which prematurely wants us into war.
I want to get a Republic Golden Age, not a despotic one, so all we need to do is to keep the Immortals away until we got Republic complete, then make them attack a Hoplite, and make several key builds in a Medieval-Republic Golden Age. This will give us gold, money and so on. I want the war with Persia short and inexpensive, with the only intent to provoke a Republic golden age and then sign a peace.

DZ, you brought us into this a bit early, and we may risk Despotic golden age. Few of us really want that, so please reduce the extent of your unilateral decision, and minimize the impact it can have on our long term planning. An Early Republic Golden Age is the best we can get out of it.

Let's do our best to try to end this conflict as soon as possible. Persia's too far away, and like Provolution said, a republic golden age is preferred.

Provo, Regentman, I agree with you my post was merely giving the options that we had, I would prefer to end the Persian Conflict as they're too far away, we have no Navy at all and we lack the resources to secure all the side-deals that need to go along with such an undertaking, (Oh yeah and just a nit-pick but Persia can't build Immortals, they don't have any Iron.)

-Ranger99-

2 options here, for me.

1. Unite France and Rome in an alliance to smash this ungrateful Persian people. The Persian units wil be absorbed into Roman and French territories and we will only face a few seldom landings on our coast to be quickly dispatched. After 20 turns of war, demand they give all techs, gold, and maps.

2. No alliance, just kill the invaders, but don't let them near our hoplites to avoid starting a premature GA.

Gentlemen,

I can assure you that the goal of this administration is to end this standoff as soon as we can regain audience with a Persian diplomat. I have a feeling that once tempers cool and things are put into perspective, Persia will renounce ts hastily reactionary stance and sign a peace agreement.

This war should not alter our plans in the slightest, except to maybe send some extra protection to Augean Stables.

And what about if Persia sign a military alliance with Rome or France? Then we would be in trouble. We must give special attention to any war, because a minor AI civ can always make AI great powers to declare war on us.

Civlord said:
And what about if Persia sign a military alliance with Rome or France? Then we would be in trouble. We must give special attention to any war, because a minor AI civ can always make AI great powers to declare war on us.
This, for me, is the nightmare scenario for us. I'd love to pull the reverse off, and fight a proxy war with Persia through the countries neighboring them.
Hopefully, our Minister of Foreign Affairs will be able to comment on the chances of us using the various nations to fight this conflict, or of ending this conflict quickly.

-- Ravensfire

Hopefully, our Minister of Foreign Affairs will be able to comment on the chances of us using the various nations to fight this conflict, or of ending this conflict quickly.

I hope so, but Icmancin is showing little activity these days. Perhaps we will have to leave that to the president.

Civlord said:
I hope so, but Icmancin is showing little activity these days. Perhaps we will have to leave that to the president.

That's what got us into all this trouble in the first place! :lol:

I must apologize to the Fanatik people for underestimating Xerxes' resolve on this matter. I would prefer not to further confound our situation by hijacking the FA office, especially since the law is not clear regarding my role during times of office inactivity.

If needed, I will lead the discussion here and put all diplomatic propects up for poll. I also think we need a poll to determine how we want to counter future extortion of our state secrets.

Just wait out the war until Xerxes will talk. If he signs a MA with France or Rome, then we would need to reevualate our options.

As A side-note both Nobody and I are working on an ENDP (Emergency National Defense Plan)

It's basically a color-coded attack or Defense Plan that deals with each Nation, for example let's say we code France as RED, then if Frnace suddenly declares war on us we have a nice ENDP plan to fall back on.

The ENDP's should really help us out in situations like these, but sadly we were just starting on it, when Persia declared war on us.....

-Ranger99-

I think we should just wait for the persians to dicuss peace. But sometimes they wont do this until they have a battle. Also there is a chance that they will convince france and rome to attack us which would mean a fight for our lives. You have to remeber that when you have only 3 spearmen and a warrior it dosent matter if your enemy is weak because you only have 3 spearmen and a warrior. I think we should sign a MA with france and persia. and send a token military taskforce (about 5 swordsmen or archers) and kill what ever we can while carrying on at home as normal. perphas a little more vigirlant worker security ect.

I have no access to the save right now, but would recommend engaging any Persian troops well outside our borders, and keeping our Hoplites back for city defense only. If successful, this strategy will avoid the unwanted GA while in despotism. We need to build our military quickly, to get up to an even state or even strong state vs Persia so they will be willing to take peace on even terms.

Alliances would be good too, but we need to be able to afford them and we may not want this war to drag out the full 20 turns.

BTW, I think our action in refusing the Persian demand were exactly correct. We can't afford to strengthen future victims unnecessarily. We usually set the bar on demands to give in for small sums of gold and refuse techs, resources, and other things of high value.

I would say, make a complete alliance with France for a tech or two, it is well worth the disruption of our long term planning. This will also put an end to the intruders until we get to Republic. I am certain one of the Persians will die on a hoplite during despotism, and all hell is loose. A French alliance is the only option. Our cities also need basic garrisons.

Top Bottom