1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Presidential Discussion-Get rich or Get smart?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Demo Game: Citizens' started by greekguy, Jan 17, 2006.

1. greekguy

greekguy Missed the Boat

Citizens, we must decide for the coming years on our slider approach. Should we put the science slider high and learn techs faster? Or should we put the science slider low and amount a huge treasury? Or (i don't think we want this, but i have to put all options here) do we want to put them both low and up the culture slider to keep our people happy? Citizens, please tell me your thoughts and contribute to the discussion. :)

2. Tubby Rower

Tubby Rower Chronic Slacker

science at 100%. civ4 will automatically drop the science percentage when needed. Until later when culture can actually be changed, I think that we need to keep science as high as possible until we have a definate need for cash.

3. Ginger_Ale

Ginger_Ale Lurker Retired Moderator

We have to push for science all the way. In Civ4, you can't trade techs until Alphabet, which is at least some number of turns away. Let's not rely on the AIs to research for us - we cannot even buy techs until Currency (<-- ? Not sure if right tech). Gold will do us no good at this point. Btw, we can't even change the culture slider until Drama, iirc.

4. donsig

donsig Low level intermediary

I think that if we get smart getting rich will follow. I doubt getting rich will get us smarter. So I say, Get Smart.

5. IamSid

IamSid TheTrueIdiot!

I agree with getting smart, it is the only viable option at this point.

6. ravensfire

ravensfire Member of the Opposition

Excuse me sir, your shoe is ringing! :lol:

Agreed - Science! (the recording studio is that way, Mr. Dolby)

-- Ravensfire

7. vikingruler

vikingruler Chieftain

We should accumulate some form of money so a 10 or 20% tax slider should be used. the rest of course sent to science.

8. Admiral Kutzov

Admiral Kutzov Idiot Emeritus

In a totally out of character response (since I have no history with vikingruler), I must respectfully disagree with this
    . Why? Run the slider at max or max positive. We can't trade gold or gpt until currency or some other to be discovered lore. I'm curious as to why u want the money and lack many common social graces to state this a socially acceptable manner.

9. I am the Future

I am the Future Oi Oi Oi !!!

As speaker for the Party. I would like to say that we would like to gain science untill alphabet when we shall amount a huge treasury to buy the sciences from our opponents.

10. Admiral Kutzov

by alpha we should have a 1-2 tech lead and we still won't be able to trade gold for techs. Why do we need gold?

11. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

This is Civ4, not Civ3. :) Civ3 strategies won't work (or not very well). The game also automatically adjusts the science slider, too.

I would suggest trying to grow as quickly as we can (irragation, a few cottages), build a few cities, then turn on the production (forges!).

12. Admiral Kutzov

how bout running to courthouses and then forges? Or am I just an idiot? :lol:

13. Swissempire

Swissempire Poet Jester

Its simple Mathmatics (which we can't get very fast by being rich) A square = rectangle, but a rectangle doen't equal a square. Science= Money which in turn ='s a lead, but Money=Nothing until we get currency, or build the pyrmaids. By going the way of science we get the square, the rectangle, and the lead. By going money, we get the rectangle, but then just stare at it for many many many months! Wow, i'm either crazy or a philoshper

14. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

If we chase the cash, we will later end up saying to ourselves:

"Missed it by that much!" :snowlaugh:

GET SMART PEOPLE!

EDIT: What a grotesque smiley.........

15. Gloriana

Gloriana Chieftain

Ne'er coud I have put this better! I agree with my most honourable party member that we should go for science all the way!

16. Hardvark

Hardvark Chieftain

Science, science and then more science! Money is irrelevant in the early game (unless you foolishly over expand and bankrupt yourself!), so 100% science should be our aim for as long as we can maintain it. Who knows, maybe our valiant exploring warriors will loot some poor primitive villages and steal their cash. :evil:

17. Sexton

Sexton Keeping the Books

Going for science is clearly the consensus here. I would like to propose Swissempire to be nominated the National Philosopher. The man fits the podium :)

18. Bengeance

Bengeance Civ Retributioner

I respectfully disagree. It would be improper to appoint him National Philosopher when he utterly failed to mention that all rectangles are simply the conjunction of two right triagles of equal dimensions and further more that not only will cash not get us the square the triangle will get us the rhombus, the rectangle,the Pythagorean theorem, and three squares. Simply imagine the lead we will have when we have all three squares. This is quite obviously only available through Science. To have failed to mention these items seems to me to be a clear disqualification for the office of National Philosopher.

:egypt:

19. Tubby Rower

Tubby Rower Chronic Slacker

:lol: excellent Bengeance :lol:

20. BCLG100

BCLG100 Music Master

theres a chance we'll be able to pop some cash from goody huts so science slider should be just left how it is at 100%