Pretender to the Throne II: Zara Yaqob on Earth!

The Oz-Man

Enter: The VAIKE!
Hi-diddly-ho, Civ-a-rinos!

Pretender to the Throne is a series where I ride Neal's coattails to gloryplay around with the popular Earth map, exploring the various leaders in their real-world contexts. Last time, we took Catherine for a spin on Monarch. It was cheesy, it was easy, and it highlighted one of the map's heavyweights. It also demonstrated one of the easiest paths to victory on the Earth map:

1. Take over Europe.
2. Win!

This time, I don't want that option. We're bumping it up to Emperor, where I probably should be playing anyway. We've got a new leader set thanks to a suggestion from capnvonbaron. And we're going into Africa with... Zara Yaqob of Ethiopia!

In my experience, Zara is just about always a player in any game. With a pair of powerful traits in Creative and Organized, Zara can claim and afford a lot of land. His Oromo Warriors add Drill promotions and first strikes to the otherwise unremarkable Musketman, and his Steles are a beefy culture-multiplying Monument (sort of redundant on a Creative leader, but they still help push things back in a real culture war).

In short, Zara's got the ability to be a very competitive leader. In Neal's Asoka King of the World, Zara gets a chance to shine by virtue of claiming the commerce-rich Nile floodplains. On this map, we won't have that option without a fight, which leaves us with Zara's same starting location from that map.

So let's have a look at that, shall we (marked with the green dot)?

Spoiler :

...holy jesus what. :eek:

Yup, stuck in the barren highlands of Ethiopia, with our only escape through the hills, around a bunch of mountains. And when we get out? JUNGLE.

Basically, it's a perplexing start. I think our best advantage in the short-term is to head south, working the fish, the gems, and the horses. We can set up another city in Somalia to work those fishes and cows for a pretty nice production site (and there's a Creative neighbor to the north as I'll explain, so that may be worth doing early). Beyond that? REX as best we can to the south and maybe the west.

Here's a look at the parts of Africa that are available to us:

Spoiler :

We're sharing Africa with Ramesses of Egypt and Hannibal of Carthage, so we're going to probably have to fight to get the nicest land--that is, the land around the northern floodplains. If we want them, though, we have access to most of the continent's metal, as well as jumbos. The drawback is that there's basically no whippable land and very little to chop.

In short, it's a mess. But it's a mess on purpose. After the breezy last game, I feel like a challenge. ;)

For some reason, I'm having trouble attaching the scenario to this post, so I'll explain it.The save is attached to the third post in this thread. I'm playing a modified version that adds Emperor-level techs to the AIs. I'll put in spoilers who's around and who they're replacing; it's often just a leader change between the same civ, but sometimes things aren't quite so clean:

Spoiler :
1. Ramesses II of Egypt (replaces Hatshepsut)
2. Gandhi of India (replaces Asoka)
3. Chinese LeaderMao Zedong of China (replaces Qin Shi Huang)
4. Pericles of Greece (replaces Alexander)
5. Augustus Caesar of Rome (replaces Julius Caesar)
6. Darius II of Persia (replaces Cyrus)
7. Wang Kon of Korea (replaces Tokugawa of Japan)
8. Bismarck of Germany (replaces Frederick)
9. Kublai Khan of Mongolia (replaces Genghis Khan)
10. Napoleon of France (replaces Louis XIV)
11. Gilgamesh of Sumeria (replaces Saladin of Arabia--a change from capnvonbaron's suggestion, but in my estimation Gilgamesh makes escaping Africa a more formidable challenge, and he's typically a stronger AI in my experience)
12. Hannibal of Carthage (replaces Isabella of Spain)
13. Victoria of England (replaces Elizabeth)
14. Peter of Russia (replaces Catherine)
15. Zara Yaqob of Ethiopia (replaces Mansa Musa of Mali)
16. Sitting Bull of Native America (replaces Huayna Capac of the Inca)
17. Pacal II of the Maya (replaces Montezuma of the Aztec--starting on the Yucatan Peninsula with a path into South America)
18. Washington of America (replaces Roosevelt)

As usual with me, no huts and no events. Choose Religions is also on this game for flavor. Without Isabella or Saladin on the map, the religion game may be very interesting indeed.

I'm eager to see your thoughts; needless to say, we're in for a much more challenging start this time!

You may need to zip it

That did it. Thanks, lymond! Scenario is attached to this post. As usual, if you're playing above Prince you'll need to add relevant techs for the AIs and the barbs.

:pGo Oz!! DoW and kill :ar15::egypt:! He is on your way to culrural victory!! Starting place looks pretty..umm... Not promising :lol:

IMO the strongest play here is a HA rush on the fertile crescent and possibly continuing onto the balkans/india or into eastern europe depending on how quickly you get it off. The way to accomplish this would be to have a galley acting as a bridge over the Gulf of Aden. This is an intriguing start on the earth map, I think I'll play this. Emperor if I want it to be fun, Immortal if I want it to be grueling :sad:

Man, adding the techs to 18 civs is a pain. I added hunting and archery to all other civs plus barbarians at Emperor difficulty, here's the 4000BC autosave if you want to play at emperor but don't want to correct the starting techs manually :D

Attachments

• AutoSave_Initial_BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    60.1 KB · Views: 55
Is a HA rush viable with Gilgamesh as the target? He's technically "closer" than Ramesses (i.e., fewer tiles between us), but I would think Vultures would give HAs trouble. Still, if we can pile up a force in Arabia, it'd be pretty easy to take whichever of Ramesses or Darius/Gandhi we want afterward.

Well, I did the strongest opening I can think of on this map and wiped out Ramses (after be built me the jewish shrine and spread it to half the civs in the game), but continuing on is probably not doable. I could perhaps take out Carthage, but the land is not even that good. Gilgamesh with his protective archers and access to metal was just not worth it. The conquest will have to continue with elepults.

I settled 1NW of the fish to the south of the starting location because settling anywhere else makes for a disastrous opening (where I settled can at least work the forested PH for a workboat, then the gems to get to HBR asap, and then is forever stuck at 4pop. Good early production, though, which is what was needed. First settler was taken to Arabia by galley to settle the horses/sheep/fish/clams site, which is by far the best second city site and worth teching sailing/building galley for.

Sometimes random events are like manna from heaven:

Ramses built some shiny wonders for me, I was hoping he'd build me the mids but ToA and a shrine thats already +17gpt are a good consolation prize:

The nicely developed land, ridiculous really:

He had oracle'd metal casting but wouldn't give it to me for peace. I took peace for monotheism and priesthood, which is why it's so late when I finished him. The 10 turn wait didnt hurt, I needed to heal up and pump out a couple more just-in-case HAs anyway. When the ten turns was up he had one of his archers wandering around in the open, and another almost dead in the city, presumably from a barbarian attack. Now it's just getting settlers to all the decent spots in africa while getting ready for elepults. I think the most efficient use of elepults would be Europe, as it's close and has the best land. But Sumeria/Persia/India are also tempting. Gilgamesh likes to get stabby at the most innoportune times, whereas Europe will probably leave us alone. Bizmarck at 9 cities is going to be a powerhouse, though.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0162.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0162.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 1,018
  • Civ4ScreenShot0163.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0163.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 1,011
  • Civ4ScreenShot0164.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0164.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 1,030
  • Civ4ScreenShot0165.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0165.JPG
    187.7 KB · Views: 1,028
Would there be any sure way to take out Giggle's metal source or sources before full-scale invasion? PRO archers are less worrisome than Vultures... Or I guess you could just wait until catapults :p

Would there be any sure way to take out Giggle's metal source or sources before full-scale invasion? PRO archers are less worrisome than Vultures... Or I guess you could just wait until catapults :p

Vultures are less worrisome than spears. With any HA rush you generally research writing right after HBR, with the intention of opening borders and finding their metal. You can almost always pillage it by the second or third turn of the war, but then you still have to deal with whatever spears were built in that time. Ramses is an incredibly soft target here, no metal and war chariots are actually preferable to archers.

Played this out to an easy winning position, even threw in 2 pictures! (50 AD):

Spoiler :

Settled for fish/gem/horse, making an early HA rush semi-doable. Yes, ram has archers and war chariots but that's not exactly amazing stuff vs HA. Before I executed the rush I cheese-DoW/Peace for 3 workers (got a group of 2 on 2nd attack) which helps compensate the awful start for sure. Carthage met a similar fate as Egypt and now I'm running away:

Fighting the likes of archers/chariots there too. Now we have 10 cities just after 1 AD, with all of Africa available basically. You'd think the tech picture was bad, but I actually took peace with Egypt a 3rd time to get alphabet from him, and have since researched currency/CoL/Monarchy with some trade brokering. I have one of the stronger tech positions and the cottages my stolen workers have placed on former egyptian lands have given me enough gold to bankroll an attack on Sumeria (lots of leftover HA, some with good xp) while still expanding into Africa since I have enough cities to produce for both. Tech picture:

Doubt I need to finish this since playing with a large advantage on Emp isn't something with the outcome in doubt :D.

View attachment Zara Yaqob AD-0050.CivBeyondSwordSave

I haven't tried this yet but mr.Captain's idea seems really interesting! I played E18 as Germany once and I won scientific victory. It was kinda easy bc of European civs were such small noobies with one city. You just removed spaniaks off Europe. Thats cool. You also removed Japan. Why we cannot have em both? I mean Korea and Japan. Then move Alex or some other noob off from Europe. Like that idea? However this is such an interesting idea :) I'll play this map someday on noble. And don't laugh to me if I get owned by :egypt:!

I tried this to 100AD not attacking anyone. I'm 3rd last out of the people I've met, and with the lowest population. I was playing pretty unfocused though. Feel free to try it if you want a challenge...

I was annoyed with my "peaceful" effort, so I tried again and did a bit better...
Spoiler :
I got my skates on this time and settled the resource-tastic spot in south africa a lot quicker. After one or two bad jungle sites were settled I was involved in a 3-way rush to the Malian area of Africa. Egypt lost out - the Carthaginians and I got a couple of cities each there. Being cultural really helped...

With good trading, and the jungles slowly turning into cottaged land, I stayed in the tech race. I even got to Lib first, I think I took Astronomy. Ultimately the Egyptians were way too tempting to not attack, so I took them down with a mosdest stack of trebs/ormoros. Their shrine was worth 50 gold and they had built 5 or 6 wonders too. Took peacee whilst they had one city left. I don't think I've ever had an AI pleased with me whilst I was at war with them before this game....

Ram bribed Crathage in, who are hilariously backwards. I've marched into the Malian region and am about to take the last city of theirs that I want, it's around 1600AD. Can't decide wether to take their capitulation or not though, as it will screw up a few Friendly relations I have with others.

Might go directly for space from here, or I might invade south America... I don't think I really have the food/production to fight in Eurasia. Communism is a big short-term target now - getting +1 food from watermills will be awesome for my jungle cities.

This is how the rest of the world panned out...
Spoiler :

France got beat up by Rome and is its vassal (France have 1 city in Portugal). Rome also took Greece as a vassal, but they have since broken free.
Germany is big, has vassaled Russia and is currently fighting a fairly successful land war in Asia.
China is huge as always and is currently beating up Asoka. Germany and China are numbers 1 and 2 at the moment.
The Mongols have done well for themselves - they took the Korean capital earlier in the game (the new Korean capital is now in Japan), and have taken quite a few more of their Asian mainland cities.
Over in America... Pacal is a monster - he did have an access to a whole lot of land.

Heeeell. Just lost the round I'd typed up. I need to stop doing that in the browser window. I've got to get some productive work done tonight, though, so here's the save. Needless to say, Zara isn't too happy about being stuck on a rocky peninsula and is working on a way to change that. Here's the big question: what's our research target next? Sailing for cheap Lighthouses and a chance of food? BW for what little chopping we can do? Should we settle one more city to get those Crabs or just get to work on our horsies before Ramesses can field anything dangerous?

We wanna hear your AMAZING stories!! Let's rock 'n roll the whole planet with Zara! JUSTINIAN IS DOOMED!!! (if he even is in the map..)

Well, I've got a stack of substitute teacher applications to fill out (long story), so I'd look for it this weekend. Been a super-busy week.

Well, I've got a stack of substitute teacher applications to fill out (long story), so I'd look for it this weekend. Been a super-busy week.

Are you going to play this one Oz?

However I'd like to try this one out :)

-750BC
Spoiler :
Wow!!! That starting place!!!:eek: Are you kidding me?? The Cap doesn't even grow to size 3!! Cheese! Well I'll move the palace later..

I met some neightbors:

Unfortunately screenies of Rammy and Hanni were destroyed...

At least we have horses so I can wipe the n00b Rammy out and took his Nile city and move my palace there later... And well, I just built three chars as fast as possible and:

Charge!!!!

Success!!! YEAH! Done! What do you say about that you Rammy n00b?

Here is two more neightbors:

And map:

I'm doing good so far eh?

Comments appreciated;) Save file:

Top Bottom