Preventing the lag?

Jasmine_

Chieftain
I am not sure what causes this. But you ever notice how when you agree to peace with an AI, it still sends units after you sometimes 2 or even 5 turns after you made peace? And they will capture or destroy whatever in your path. Is this a bug, or related to chain of command?

If this is part of the game for whatever reason, what work around is there to defeat such a mechanism? It sucks when I declare peace just to save a city, I give him all my techs for peace, yet he still attacks it anyway!

That doesn't sound right at all. After peace is declared, the enemy civs units are all transported outside your borders so they shouldn't be able to do anything else in your territory. In earlier versions of the game (pre-1.52), you might receive messages that events were occuring later, but they actually happened a few turns before. After 1.52, the event queue is cleared after each turn to prevent the messages from being delayed. Could this be what you are seeing?

Since the game is turn based, orders have already been given to units earlier in the turn. When you sue for peace, the previous orders are still carried out, even though the units may appear outside your borders. You can look at the activity tags that pop up and you will see the unit isn't even the space any more... but you get the tag and you also get the message. So that attack or pillage was already ordered by the AI prior to your suing for peace.

Part of the problem I have seen is that some of the messages still don't show up until a turn later, even though they took place in the original proper turn. One of the patches addressed some of the message lag, but I still (rarely) see it. It seems to happen more often if you end turns quickly, before the system has time to display everything.

That brings up another point. Why is it after i build the great library, I get notified 10 rounds later that I have built it. Of course I have built it.

Jasmine_ said:
That brings up another point. Why is it after i build the great library, I get notified 10 rounds later that I have built it. Of course I have built it.
I think the event notifier is on it's own thread. When many events occur in the same turn, it takes quite a bit of time to display the notificaitons and play the appropriate sounds. If you are cycling through turns quickly, this thread gets behind. At least that is how I suspect it works. I notice this most often in games where I have "do nothing" turns - I have no units to move since everything is improved and I am at peace.

Yeah, slow down! If you aren't giving the event notifier enough time to finish either you've got serious lag, or you're speeding through your turns too quickly.

And about the unit lag: that's a completely seperate issue. Either it's all in your head, or you've got a seriously rare bug.

Top Bottom