1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Preview: Star Trek Mod 2.0

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Star Trek Mod' started by deanej, Dec 27, 2008.

1. deanej

deanej Chieftain

Well, I've given up on getting help with the Final Frontier Project. Maybe I'll revisit it in the future. However, there is good news with that: I can start work on version 2.0 of Star Trek! :) And this is the official preview thread. So here's the news so far:
    -I've sent a PM to Jaydn about making the unit models for 2.0. I haven't heard back yet, but I only sent the PM a couple hours ago.
    -I've replaced all of the leaderheads for the main mod (the buttons are still the same)
    -I've replaced Decaren with Karr (the Alpha-Hirogen who took over Voyager in "The Killing Game"); this is simply a text/art change so far (I don't anticipate any personality changes, but traits of many leaders will change for 2.0)
    -More news in the rest of this thread!

2. Imrahiel

Imrahiel Chieftain

When you have the new models and arts, I would you offer the make a special scenario on a big map(180x!80 or bigger), that is scripted and follow the timeline from ENT to VOY with all important Wars, Peaces and events like the Foundation of the Federation.

3. deanej

deanej Chieftain

That sounds cool. One thing I'm going to do for 2.0 is create a huge galaxy map with all the civs and a few more, even including wormholes (how to get the AI to use them I have no idea).

4. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

Great news indeed! (I don't know if this is comparable or not, but the AI in the Master of Orion game series had no problems using wormholes.);)

5. Imrahiel

Imrahiel Chieftain

My map will be based on Alpha/Betaquadrant and few of the Gamma like my old map, but bigger and with some minor factions(Vulcan, Andoria and Tellar will be there in the first 10 years, latr also Maquis, Tholian and perhaps some other when we get new models). Borg will be only come with events.

6. deanej

deanej Chieftain

I've released a second preview here. This one will break save games, and includes the following changes from 1.19:
    -Added Inquisitive and Rebellious traits
    -Adjusted building production bonuses for existing traits
    -Adjusted traits given to each leader
    -Adjusted health/happy values for buildings
    -Updated civs/leaders page in manual to include civs/leaders that will be added in version 2.0

7. deanej

deanej Chieftain

I've attached a screenshot showing the start of the new tech tree (to the left are the value techs). These techs don't do anything yet - all I've done so far is add them, set requirements, and set up the advisor.

8. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

Keep it up! :newyear:

9. deanej

deanej Chieftain

I've done the tech tree and the new unit balance; those are included in preview 3 which can be found here (it includes previews 1 and 2 as well). I could use feedback on the tech costs and unit balance.

Note: For the unit balance, it should be known that I'm adding 2 units to the start of the game. The Warp 5 Ship will require Warp 5 Drive and have 1 strength, 1 movement, and the Warp 7 Ship will require Warp 7 Drive and have 2 strength, 2 movement.

10. apenpaap

apenpaap Tsar of all the Internets

The previews look great!

11. apenpaap

I've looked into the civs and leaders in the preview's readme, and I have a few suggestions:
    -Include the Suliban and Xindi. You have included obscure Delta Quadrant species that have appeared in only one epidsode (Devore, Vaadwaur, Krenim), but not the two main enemies in Enterprise :confused:
    -Adding Sloan as the third Federation leader means that the federation will have two "nasty" leaders and one "nice" one, which means that they will be "nasty" in two out of three games. In the series, the Federation are a utopian, peaceful coalition of races, not conquerors who constantly urge you to adopt Police State. I suggest adding the Federation President from The Undiscovered Country as the Federation's third leader instead, to have them acting more "in-character".
    -My third suggestion is related to my first one: the Devore, Krenim, Vaadwaur, First Federation, Gorn and Tholians have all appeared in 1 or 2 episodes. They usually didn't do much, and since with most of these, only one type of ship has been seen, their unitart will get very monotonous, like the Devore have already. I don't suggest deleting them all from the mod, but rather include less of these "minor races".

12. deanej

deanej Chieftain

Good idea. The civ/leader list is finalized for 2.0, but the Xindi have been planned for 3.0 for quite some time. I've added the Suliban to the 3.0 list as well (glad I saved that spreadsheet with the leader traits).
    I've changed Sloan's favorite civic to state property. I feel this fits him better and it avoids the problem of having 2/3 Federation leaders having Police State as a favorite civic.
    Well, how "minor" a civ is is debatable. Especially with the Delta Quadrant races, they are major powers in their area but are only seen rarely because the characters aren't in the area. Unfortunately this does have the effect of limiting the unit art (I don't like it either, but I don't feel the unit art is grounds for not having them).

13. Imrahiel

Imrahiel Chieftain

I think minor factions should be in , but unplayable. They are more realstic then putting all ships to the babarians.

14. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

:agree:

Good idea.

:hmm: But Sloane wasn't actually even a leader, just a plotter. (As opposed to a UFP President - although there was that admiral involved in the Phased Cloak plot... I forget his name, but he might be a better candidate than the elusive Sloane.)

15. vreetzak44

vreetzak44 Chieftain

When will you release the next preview?

16. deanej

deanej Chieftain

I've changed Sloan to Pressman. After thinking about it, he allows me to have a Federation leader with a preference for espionage while being closer to the Federation ideals. I've also tweaked the favorite religion values for many leaders to lessen the dominance of Warrior's Code.

With minor civs, they would be tricky to implement for the main game, but I have decided to use them to fill up some space on the gamma quadrant in the galaxy map. I may use them for the delta quadrant as well.

As for the next preview, I have no release schedule. I hope to get to the new units/buildings next, and then the civs/leaders and some odds and ends. Then the scenarios, and after that the main release. I planned the next previews to be information and screenshots, but if I feel if something needs balance testing (such as the Exocomps) I'll release game files.

Also: let me know if there are any balance problems with the building/unit/tech costs.

17. Pablod

Pablod Chieftain

you shuld have three star bases type, for the later part of the game like 50 combat is needed ,like final frontier upgrade star bases with bonuses

also give move 5 to ligth VI ,or 18 combat ,something so you don'have to make boring heavy II all the time

i like when you can contruct older ships

18. deanej

deanej Chieftain

Well, unfortunately I don't have any time to work on this in the near future. I think I'll have more time at the end of January. In the mean time, I don't think I'm going to be able to get Mozza to create the flags (he hasn't logged in for months), so I was wondering if I could get you guys to create them for the 2.0 civs (I was thinking we could also do the 3.0 flags now to get them over with since 3.0 will only add four civs). I thought I'd decide on the player color first, so I've listed it with each civ (the background color of the flag is the player color) (the list also has each leader because I'm feeling lazy and just copied this out of my design document).
    -Vaadwaur: Gedrin (Brown)
    -First Federation: Balok (Dark Pink)
    -Gorn: Slar (Light Purple)
    -Tholian: Loskene (Light Orange)
    -Terran Empire: Hoshi Sato, Spock (Dark Indigo)
    -Alliance: Worf (Peach)
    -Xindi: Degra, Dolim (Light Yellow)
    -Maquis: Eddington (Light Brown)
    -Orion Syndicate: Harrad-Sar (Dark Purple)
    -Suliban: Silik (Pink)

I presume that since I haven't heard anything about the unit/building/tech costs that they are balanced and work fine?

EDIT: I'll give Light VI 5 moves and give Exploration VI sentry to try to keep them balanced with each other. An 18 strength Light VI is the Alliance UU. There will be a Starbase II that comes with Quantum Torpedo (as such, Starbase I will have a lower strength). :)

19. apenpaap

I can't offer any help with the flags, however I can do some XML for you if you like.

20. Imrahiel

Imrahiel Chieftain

Great News.:)

I will starting my work for the new scenario as soon i have to new art files.
    First Federation, Gorn, Tholian, Maquis and Orions will be in.
    Suliban and Xindi I dont know, because there are some problmes with them.
    I dont know where on my map the Delephic Expanse should be ???
    What role they both played later ???
    Are they just in the timeline, because of the temporal cold war ???
    What did happen in the original timeline , where the Suliban dont play this role( attack a Klingon on Earth etc.) ???

@ deanej : Are you playing to make more building buttons ?
    I think it would be a good addon to mod when there more uniqe
    buildings like Ty'Gokor base or a special building called Homeworld.
    That is just used in scenarios and gives a high production and
    cultur bonus. That would allow it to seperate colonies and
    homweorlds better. I have seen it in a old civi 3 Star Trek mod.
    When you need somebody for making xml things i offer my help
    also.