PREVIEW: The Great Northern War 1700-1721

Grohan

Bug-hunter
Hello!
I am working on scenario about The Great Northern War.
If you don't know about this war, read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Northern_War

If you want to see preview stuff check out following posts.

Now I have some questions:

Has anyone made wonder graphics for St. Petersburg?

Should I have lancers in this scenario?

What do you think about tech tree?(Tech explanations in next post)

Attachments

• GNWtech.GIF
    GNWtech.GIF
    23.3 KB · Views: 417
Advanced tactics:
Unit: Fusilier strong defender, infantry
Musketeer Strong attacker, infantry, amphibious

Scorched earth:
Unit: Partisan 0 range bombardnement unit (bombardnement causes craters), ATAR, no movement cost for pillaging
Worker action: Clear damage

Grenades
Unit: Grenadier strong infantry, lethal ineffective 1 range bombardnement

Fortification techniques
Worker action: Build barricade

Naval tactics
Improvement: Shipyard allows construction of veteran naval units
S.Wonder: Naval academy

Mobilization
Draft and mobilization
Unit: Militia Cheap draftable immobile 1 pop cost infantry

Music Theory
Wonder: Bach

Medicine
S.Wonder: BFMedicine
Disease eliminated

Diplomacy
MPP

Artillery tactics
Unit: Horse artillery Faster version of cannon, maybe smaller bombardnement streght

Heavy fortresses
Improvement: Coastal fortress not just naval defense bonuses also bonuses against land attacks
Improvement: Fortress

Espionage
S.Wonder: Intelligence agency

Military logistics
S.Wonder: General staff school
Unit: Guard powerful and expensive infantry

Heavy artillery
Unit: Heavy cannon

Seapower
Unit: Ship of the line

Enlightenment
Free bonus tech
Wonder: St. Petersburg
Worker action: Clear damage
Unit: Engineer
Improvement: Police station
Improvement: Commercial dock

Cavalry tactics
Heavy cavalry? I don't know what would be good heavy cavalry. Heavy dragoon? Carabiner?

Sanitation
Improvement: Hospital

Units: (No UUs)
Army
Cannon
Conscript
Cuirassier
Dragoon
Engineer
Fire Ship
Frigate
Fusilier
Galley
Grenadier
Guard
Heavy cannon
Heavy cavalry (?)
Horse artillery
Hussar
Leader
Light cannon
Man-O-War
Militia
Musketeer
Musket man
Partisan
Privateer
Settler
Ship of the line
Steppinsch Krauklis
Swiss guard
Troop transport
Worker

Minimap:

Looks good! One minor note, however, is that Fortresses require Barricades, not the other way around as you have them.

About the Name of the Heavy Calavary: Ask Steph

This looks like a good scenario! :) I'm looking forward to it...

Civilizations:
(small description and mini-strategy)

Sweden
Militaristic, industrious, seafaring

Sweden is most powerful nation in the scenario. Because Great Britain and Netherland were allied with
Sweden, Sweden gets some unbuildable Men-O-War at the start of scenario.
Swedish player should strike early and hard if Sweden wants to survive.
Prussia and Hannover are potential enemies so try to increase their attitude towards you.

Russia
Militaristic, expasionist, agricultural

Russia is huge. It has lot of territory but needs to build up before it can challenge Sweden.
Be friendly with Ottomans because they may strike against your southern cities.

Denmark
Militaristic, commercial

Denmark is weakest of anti-swedish alliance. Sweden is Denmark's next door neighbour. This
is either advantage or disadvantage because you can strike directly to Sweden's back but Sweden can do that
too for you.

Poland-Saxony
Scientific, commercial

Poland-Saxony consist of Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth and Saxony. You can't conquer much of Sweden's territory
because your navy is bad. Instead your winged hussars are your greatest weapon, use them wisely.

Prussia
Militaristic,industrious

Your country is seperated to two halves and your capital is in worse half. Palace relocation may not be a bad idea.

Ottoman Empire
Commercial, religious

Both Austria and Russia want your land and what's worse most your VP locations are near border.
Venice has weak cities near your border. It may not be a bad idea to conquer those cities.

Austria
Militaristic, industrious

Austria's biggest advantage is that it has many weak neighbours. But it shoul beware strobger ones such as Ottomans, Poland and Prussia.

Hanover
Industrious, commercial

Hanover is small civ. Be nice with other civs, build up and then attack your weakest neighbour.

Venice
Commercial, seafaring

Venice is small and weak Italian state with some distant colonies. Your best bet is to ally with stronger civs and attack the weakest.

Mecklenburg
Commercial, agricultural

Mecklenburg is weak German civ. Be nice with neighbours especially with Sweden, Denmark and Prussia. You have good acces to all Swedish German cities but remember they are heavily fortified.

Holy Roman empire (HRE)
Religious, agricultural

HRE consists of Bavaria and many small German states in this scenario. Even though HRE owns much of Germany it has weak military and infrastructure. Don't underestimate your neighbours because they are stronger than you.

Tuscany/Genoa
Industrious, commercial

In this scenario Tuscany/Genoa consists of Tuscany, Genoa, Corsica and some smaller Italian states.
As with Venice allies are important for your civilizations survival.

Swiss Condefederation
Industrious, commercial
SPECIAL: SC has "mercenaries" resource what can be used to build "Swiss Guard" (3/3/1, bonus HP)

Alps give a great defense against enemies of Swiss confederation. Austria is your biggest threat so be nice with them.

Papal states
Religious, commercial
SPECIAL: PS has "mercenaries" resource what can be used to build "Swiss Guard" (3/3/1, bonus HP)

Papal staes in this scenario consists of Papal states and some smaller Italian states.
Papal states is one of the srongest Italian civs. But remember your northern cities are vulnerable for enemy attack.

Spain
Seafaring, religious

Spain holds Sardinia, southern Italy (Kingom of Naples) and Duchy of Milan. Your holdings in Italy are seperated so build up your defenses especially in DoM.

What do you think about civilization traits? Are they good?

Also I thank everyone for positive comments! :)

P.S I will also post a screenshot (hopefully) soon.

Wow... what can I say... :lol: looks very interesting to me. I've always liked this period of history, so a scenario covering this period is especuially enticing for me.

I have been very ill so I haven't been able to work on this scenario. Well I have now recovered but another obstacle is slowing down scenario project: Exams :(
But I can speed up the project if I remove unnecessary features from the first release (tech arrows, civilopedia stuff etc.).

Biggest things what need to be done before the release:
-Pediaicons entries 55 % done
-Tech icons Done
-Civilopedia 5 % done
-Civilopedia icons 15 % done
-Resources Done

I think Denmark should be seafaring instead of militaristic. Time and again we had shown how useless the danish army were. However our fleet was large at that time.

I also think the HRE should be split up into smaller german states. The HRE wasn't a united political body, it was a very loose confederation of german states with internal wars and the like.

@Scorpi: I will change traits of Denmark.
About HRE: I don't want too much small German states in this scenario so I incorporated them all as HRE (as I did with some Italian states). But HRE is very weak state, even though it has plenty of territory.

"The Holy Roman Empire was a political conglomeration of lands in Central Europe in the Middle Ages and the early modern period. Emerging from the eastern part of the Frankish realm after its division in the Treaty of Verdun (843), it lasted almost a millennium, until its dissolution in 1806. By the 18th century, it consisted of the larger part of modern Germany, the Czech Republic, Austria, Liechtenstein, Slovenia, Belgium, and Luxembourg, as well as large parts of modern Poland and small parts of the Netherlands. Previously, it had included all of the Netherlands and Switzerland, and parts of France and Italy." -Wikipedia

Hmm... Didn't realise that the HRE was so huge. I think the lands HRE has now should be part of Austria. Austria pretty much WAS the HRE.

You could also rename it to Confederation of German States!

Vote for the best St. Petersburg wonder splash!

Candidates:

1. Plans of St. Petersburg
2. Same plans, different colour
3. Again plans
4. Peter the Great walking in the Neva river bank
5. Construction of St. Petersburg
6. St. Petersburg

Attachments

• GNWstp.jpg
    GNWstp.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 216
5 or 6. But I think it shouldn't be St. Petersburg, but, I don't know... something like Russian Imperial Palace or something. It's odd having a city as a wonder itself... :mischief:

Top Bottom