Preview Thread: JSNES03: Dejá Vu, Jamais Vu, Presque Vu

JosefStalinator

Я буду снова здесь
JESNES03: DEJÁ VU, JAMAIS VU, PRESQUE VU
A Preview

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MISCELLANEA

• MODERATOR'S BLURB
Well, its been a while since Joe modded an NES. This time I've mvoed myself back into the norm, and, with tremendous aid from other NESers created this NES. Credit must go out to Das for his timeline and help with various information (See below for link), Symphony D for rules, Israelite for the map with EC's, Insane Panda for some stats, and various others for keeping me off my lazy ass and doing work. So, allow me to present to you, JSNES03.

• PLAYERS
Players may join at any time should they be able and willing to participate fully. I will restrict the positions of major powers to those who I deem worthy.

• STORIES
Stories are not mandatory, but strongly encouraged for the atmosphere which they can create. The potential exists for bonuses to be granted for the creation of good stories or other constructive items of interest.

• ORDERS
Orders should be clear, concise, and easy to understand. It is likely they will be long, but such length should to be a function of topic breadth. Depth should be saved for important subjects. Examples of past orders can be found here. It is possible that certain orders by a country with a representative form of government may be found objectionable and not executed, or will need to be reevaluated in order to be completed. Orders may always have unintended consequences as well, good or ill.

• DEADLINES
Deadlines will be scheduled at the discretion of the Moderator.

• UPDATES
Updates will be posted at the discretion of the Moderator.

• COUNTRIES
Players may select an open country at any time or attempt to start an independence movement or otherwise scheme to create a new one. In the event of the former, reading the provided national background and following the description given as a guideline recommended.

• NON-PLAYER ENTITIES
A Non-Player Entity (being a country or organization, "Character" is not appropriate) is a group, be it official or unofficial, which interacts with Players but is controlled by the Moderator. A Player may take one at any time. Their level of interaction and commitment, as well as their behavior, will vary according to their position and history.

• UNOCCUPIED TERRITORY
Unoccupied Territory tends to be inhabited but under weak, loose, or non-existent centralized control and may typically be claimed with only minor military commitments, although other factors such as terrain and disease may inhibit the rate of such occupation.

• MAP INFORMATION
The following iconography is utilized on the map:

- Black Squares: Fortifications
- Black Crosses: Cities
- Black Crosses Edged White: Capitals
- Black Crosses Edged Red: Economic Centers
- Black Crossed Edged White and Red: Combination Capital and Economic Center
- White Area in National Territory: Active Rebellion

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STATISTICS

Spoiler Statistics Template :
<NATION NAME>
CAPITAL: <Location>
RULER: <IC> / <OOC>
GOVERNMENT: <Type> (<Efficiency>)
CENTRALIZATION: <Level>
POPULATION: <Descriptor> (<Number>)
AREA: <Descriptor> (<Number>)
CONFIDENCE: <Level>
ECONOMY: <Level> (<Numbers>)
TECH. GRADE: <Level>
ARMY FORCES: <Units> (<Training>)
ARMY BASIC: <Level>
ARMY EDUCATION: <Level>
NAVY FORCES: <Units> (<Training>)
NAVY BASIC: <Level>
NAVY EDUCATION: <Level>
EDUCATION: <Level>
LIVING STANDARDS: <Level>
INFRASTRUCTURE: <Level>
PROJECTS: <Variable>
BACKGROUND: <Variable>

&#8226; GOVERNMENT
Government is the system of rule employed by a particular country, and its overall level of capability. Governments may be changed at any time, but it's quite likely that adherents of the previous system will not be happy with any major changes in its method of operation. Increased ability generally results in better success in implementing new policies, dealing with unforeseen crises, and other such things.

Levels: Useless - Inept - Amateur - Decent - Competent - Qualified - Clever - Skilled - Brilliant - Masterful

&#8226; CENTRALIZATION
Centralization reflects the overall level of control that the government of a country wields over its constituent parts. More centralized states may direct resources at their disposal more efficiently, but on the other hand are more vulnerable to figurative decapitation. Less centralized states are less efficient, but more durable and flexible to change. It is possible to change one's centralization at any time, but a strong reason must be provided for doing so, and it is possible that it may be changed automatically to more accurately reflect one's actions.

Levels:
League - Coalition - Alliance - Confederation - Federation - Union - Federalist - Oligarchic - Consulistic - Dictatorship - Absolutist

&#8226; AREA and POPULATION
Area and Population are measures of a country's ruled territory and the number of people it rules, respectively. Larger areas and larger groups of people are more difficult to rule and thusly implementing policies that affect them takes more money.

Levels: Tiny (1) - Small (2) - Medium (3) - Large (5) - Huge (7) - Monolithic (10)

&#8226; CONFIDENCE
Note: cannot be grown directly.

Confidence is a measure of how much stock a given country's citizens place in their current regime's ability to rule effectively (in a way that will benefit said citizens). More Confidence generally means more cooperation from the ruled, while low Confidence may result in a large assortment of what the ruling regime would consider bad, such as revolts or revolution.

Levels: Outraged - Resentful - Disillusioned - Nonexistent - Minute - Meager - Growing - Moderate - Considerable - Great - Boundless

&#8226; ECONOMY
Economy is a measure of a country's economic health, and accordingly the amount the government of money the government is able to take through taxes. Each economic level contains four (4) and sometimes five (5) entries, from left to right: 1. a level's description, 2. the level's EP yield, 3. the EP required to reach the next level, 4. the EP yielded from sacrificing the level and dropping to the next, and optionally 5. the number of EP invested into growing the economy. It is possible to invest in growing the economy in increments over time of any amount. Any invested economy will be preserved after a sacrifice, and if it is equal to or greater than the level-up requirement of the dropped to level, will automatically raise the economy again to the initial level.

Levels:
Nonexistent (1/2/0) - Dysfunctional (1/1/0) - Faltering (2/2/1) - Weak (3/3/1) - Stagnant (4/5/1) - Stable (5/7/2) - Growing (7/9/3) - Robust (9/14/4) - Prosperous (12/16/6) - Dominant (15/30/9) - Hegemonic (20/0/15)

&#8226; TECHNOLOGICAL GRADE
Technological Grade denotes the approximate overall level of advancement of a given country in terms of equipment and inventions at its disposal, civilian and domestic. This is generalized into approximate categories of development with estimates of real life examples and other notes, given below.

Late Enlightenment Age - Approximates 1750 - 1780 Europe
Early Industrial Age - Approximates 1780 - 1830 Europe, some Steam advances
Middle Industrial Age - Approximates 1830 - 1860 West, Steam advances include Ironclads and Universal Trains
The Future - Unknown

&#8226; MILITARY FORCES
Military Forces constitute the available tools a country has at its disposal for war. Forces are represented by generic, relatively undetailed units of a particular type which will improve with technological progress and may be enhanced in other ways, such as by designated tactics.

Unit Categories:
- Guard:
1 Brigade for 1EP
- Infantry: 5 Brigades for 1EP
- Dragoon: 5 Brigades for 2EP
- Artillery: Compliment to 5 Infantry or Guard Brigades for 2EP
- Universal Train: Compliment attached to 1 Infantry or Guard Brigade for 1EP
- Frigate: 5 Ships for 1EP
- Battleship: 1 Ship for 1EP

Unit Descriptions:
- Guard:
Professional, career military formation, possessing the possibility of limited Engineer, Artillery, and Cavalry compliments. Average speed and high cost, but heavy firepower and high morale. May be upgraded with Artillery or Universal Train attachments.
- Infantry: Basic Infantry formation, possessing the possibility limited Engineer and Artillery compliments. Average speed and low cost, although expensive in terms of manpower. May be upgraded with Artillery or Universal Train attachments.
- Dragoon: Modern Cavalry formation. High speed and moderate cost with less manpower expense, but severely limited in firepower. May not be upgraded with attachments.
- Artillery: Mobile field artillery. Decreases the speed of units attached to and increases supply commitments, but considerably boosts firepower.
- Universal Train: Steam-driven caterpillar transport. Extremely high cost, but increases the speed and survivability of attached units, and moderately boosts firepower.
- Frigate: Typical smaller warship, possessing sail and steam power. Average in virtually all respects. Nations without a sufficient level of technology obviously possess older, non-steam powered versions.
- Battleship: Large, powerful, steam and sail equipped warship; successor to the Ship-of-the-Line. Massive firepower at the price of high cost. Only available with a sufficient level of technology.

Unit Quality:
Unit Quality is a function of various factors, all of which influence the overall fighting capability of a unit, such as equipment, training, discipline, and morale. All units possess a training statistic except Artillery and Universal Trains, which utilize the training statistic of the attached unit. New Units are allocated a training level based upon that nation's Military Basic capability.

Levels:
Untrained - Rabble - Green - Disciplined - Regular - Seasoned - Hardened - Veteran - Professional - Elite - Commando

Upgrade Costs:
- 1 Guard Brigade / 1 Battleship per level:
1EP
- 5 Infantry Brigades / 5 Frigates per level between Untrained and Regular: 1EP
- 5 Infantry Brigades / 5 Frigates per level between Regular and Commando: 2EP
- 5 Dragoon Brigades per level: 2EP

Conscription:
Conscription may be ordered at any time by a given government to bolster the forces available to it. The number of forces so gained is dependent upon the conditions in the country in question, as is their relative ability. Mass Conscription may lead to unintended and likely negative consequences when conducted by democratic-leaning or unpopular governments.

Partisans:
Partisans are likely to appear in the event of an invasion by a foreign power, although their numbers and quality and highly variable. They represent the tendency of civilian populations to resist armed occupation by foreigners in semi-unorganized ways, and are generally only suited to combat in the regions in which they appear.

Logistics:
Logistical support is critical for a military operation to function properly, and the required amount for an operation to do so is typically dependent upon its size, distance from its typical supply bases, length of supply lines, and the terrain being fought in. As a general rule, 1EP per operation is a wise investment.

&#8226; MILITARY BASIC
Military Basic is a concept related to training, and specifically relates to the ability of a nation to initially train its various military units upon their creation. Every given nation starts with a Military Basic level, representing its initial capability at the start of the scenario. Increasing it beyond this requires a payment of Population x Training Level's Cost, as given by the following:

- Untrained to Regular:
1X
- Seasoned to Veteran: 2X
- Professional to Elite: 3X
- Commando: 5X

A given nation is capable of producing two (2) times its Population number of Units per turn at its Military Basic level. Every Unit after that for that turn up to four (4) times its Population number will be at its Military Basic level minus one (1), and every Unit that turn after that up to six (6) times will be at Military Basic minus two (2), and so on.

&#8226; MILITARY EDUCATION
Military Education is the overall capability of a country's military commanders in executing the plans issued by the government in a campaign, or in devising and executing contingency operations outside of those plans as it becomes necessary to do so. Excellent commanders may improvise or see shortcomings in a plan; terrible ones will fumble even the most well-crafted scheme. Additional information such as method of education, strategic and tactical doctrines, and so on, may be of use when working at growing this statistic. Rapid expansion of a military tends to hurt its educational level.

Military Education costs two (2) EP per 10 Brigades (including Artillery or Universal Train attachments) or per 10 Ships of any type.

Levels:
Useless - Inept - Amateur - Decent - Competent - Qualified - Clever - Skilled - Brilliant - Masterful

&#8226; EDUCATION
Education is a reflection of a given country's overall capability at teaching its citizens to be productive and (more especially) creative members of society. A higher Education tends to manifest a better environment to live in, and assists greatly in the solution of a wide variety of complex problems a nation might encounter, such as engineering feats or innovation. Once a country has achieved Enlightened Education, it is that much more likely to reach the next Technological Age as soon as it becomes possible. Should this occur, the country in question will lose three (3) Education levels.

Education costs one (1) times a given country's Population statistic.

Levels:
Nonexistent - Ignorant - Naive - Illiterate - Literate - Educated - Learned - Intellectual - Academic - Scholarly - Enlightened

&#8226; LIVING STANDARDS
Living Standards measure the relative (dis)comfort in which the bulk of which a given country's population resides. Higher Living Standards lead to happier citizens, while lower ones leader to tougher ones. Living Standards are strongly affected by economic prosperity, and thusly by all the things which might affect that, such as war.

Living Standards cost two (2) times a given country's Population Statistic.

Levels:
Wretched - Squalid - Destitute - Impoverished - Sparse - Average - Pleasant - Comfortable - Luxurious - Opulent - Decadent

&#8226; INFRASTRUCTURE
Infrastructure is the measure of a country's physical development in the way of transportation. Better infrastructure makes commerce and military deployments easier to undertake and makes communication easier, thus making centralized rule more sustainable. It does however also make it easier for enemies to invade as well.

Infrastructure costs one (1) times a given country's Area statistic.

Levels:
Atrocious - Terrible - Bad - Poor - Mediocre - Passable - Decent - Good - Great - Excellent - Magnificent

&#8226; PROJECTS
Projects are programs or constructions that will in some way benefit a country in a more creative fashion than ordinary investment, and may have a variety of effects, including increasing stats which cannot be paid for. The time required to complete a project will be determined by the Moderator, based on its effects and other factors. A Project requires 1EP per turn to advance by a single (1) turn. This can be increased to two (2) turns by paying 3EP, or to three (3) turns by investing 7EP. 7EP is the maximum that may be spent on a Project on any given turn. Projects may have both their effects or time to completion listed as "SECRET" however this may prolong the time required to complete them due to the measures required to ensure such secrecy.

&#8226; INVESTMENTS
Investments are smaller-scale programs or constructions than Projects and represent a more localized effort, such as the creation of an Economic Center, the funding of a technology, or a voyage of exploration. Investments are not listed in statistics and their progress and investment must be kept by the player.

&#8226; BACKGROUND
The Background gives a short description of a given country's history.

MAP: 1820

Spoiler :

Note that this is not at all final. Much revision needs to be done, especially in the New World. Expect changes.

FOR EACH INSTANCE OF WHINING ABOUT THE MAP OR THE STATS, ONE (1) EC WILL BE DELETED FROM YOUR NATION, UNTIL NONE REMAIN, AT WHICH POINT ANOTHER STAT WILL BE RANDOMLY DEDUCTED.

Spoiler Stats Part 2 :
\
Reservations (Bold means confirmed):
British Commonwealth- Azale
Kingdom of Spain- Israelite
Holy Roman Empire- Insane_Panda
Second Russian Empire-Symphony D
Kingdom of France-Das
Qing China-Thomander
Kingdom of Portugal-Luckymoose
Zand Persia-Icmancin
Scandinavian Empire-Alex
Kingdom of Greater Georgia-Daniel Khan
Kingdom of Venice-HMS Vanguard
Byzantine Empire-Fantasmo

Link to the timeline:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=4915512&postcount=756

Note: The links are mostly broken, especially at the end. For the last 4 that provide a short synopsis of the current situation, only the first one works. Use that one to reach the other three, which were posted immediately after the first one, in the original thread.

You may now post. I am about to put the reservations in the third post. Any nation not already in the list is first come, first serve.

Confirming existing agreement for Russia.

Are you sure that reservations should be confirmed in the preview thread? That's either too fast or redundant.

At any rate, the rules look very interesting. I might even join. ;) EDIT: As a matter of fact, if nobody is taking France, I express my interest.

Also, links fixed (I think).

Are you sure that reservations should be confirmed in the preview thread? That's either too fast or redundant.

At any rate, the rules look very interesting. I might even join. ;) EDIT: As a matter of fact, if nobody is taking France, I express my interest.

Also, links fixed (I think).

I actually squared away most of the important reservations well beforehand... I shan't have my NES descend to noobdom and bickering by mal-assigned powers.

EDIT: Oh, and Das, I'd like your opinion of the Eco Centers on the map, and (eventually), the stats. PM please, so the players can't use what you say against me ;)

Since das desires France, I will put my name down for the Byzantines, however unwise that may eventually prove.

Especially with Dachspmg still at large. ;)

EDIT: Btw, what's all this here?

United Kingdom- Azale

Were the sacrifices of Seventeen Seventy for naught? :p Because this should be the British Commonwealth.

@das, I've clearly missed something. His name weren't next to it, in my opinion, it's fair game. Alls I see is "bold means confirmed". One would assume that would mean that an unbolded name would be next to an unconfirmed, but nonetheless reserved nation, so I stake my claim. :p

But, if I'm incorrect, and it is indeed reserved, I will take...the Thai nation, if you would be so kind, Master Josef.

I don't mean he reserved it, I mean that he's a Byzantine version of alex994 and so is liable to launch a civil war or something if you take it. ;)

Especially with Dachspmg still at large. ;)

EDIT: Btw, what's all this here?

Were the sacrifices of Seventeen Seventy for naught? :p Because this should be the British Commonwealth.

Er, sorry, late night oversight. I assure you that in the stats, I painstakingly ensured that all the nation names are correct. There, Britain is known as the "Commonwealth of Great Britain".

Which begs the question; Did they add the Ireland tag yet?

I'm pretty sure its just the British Commonwealth (as opposed to the Commonwealth of Great Britain, which is somewhat more geographically-tied to Great Britain itself, while the British Commonwealth also includes the British colonies and the honourarily-British Ireland; it has more nationalistic overtones, in other words, much like the French Empire as opposed to the Empire of France).

I'm pretty sure its just the British Commonwealth (as opposed to the Commonwealth of Great Britain, which is somewhat more geographically-tied to Great Britain itself, while the British Commonwealth also includes the British colonies and the honourarily-British Ireland; it has more nationalistic overtones, in other words, much like the French Empire as opposed to the Empire of France).

Bah, semantics. The Brits seemed not to care about the inclusive name throughout the centuries, when applied outside the British Isles.

I don't mean he reserved it, I mean that he's a Byzantine version of alex994 and so is liable to launch a civil war or something if you take it. ;)

Ah. Well, the last time I had to fight Alex for China, I managed to run it into the ground and make things difficult for him. I'll just do the same for Dachs if I can't win. :lol:

But yes. Me wanty Byzantium!

Spain in case, Israelite drops out. I have a plan.

Confirming the British Commonwealth, sire.

I request Persia.

Top Bottom