1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Pride Week in My Little Town, and Why I Won't be Going

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Lemon Merchant, Jul 1, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Professional Killjoy Moderator Supporter

As many of you know, I am an out, loud and proud member of the LGBT community...

It's Pride Week here from July 18 to the 28th. That annual celebration of LGBT people and culture, parades and whatnot. I usually go for at least the parade, but this year, I think I'm going to skip the whole thing. It's become too political. What started as a celebration of us as people has been turned into a political movement fraught with name calling, criticism and potential violence. It's bad enough that we have to worry about anti-gay groups disrupting our events, but now we're doing it to each other?

I realize that everyone has an axe to grind, but some of the talk that I am hearing from the community is unsettling. Some in the community are actually advocating violence against straight people. This is anecdotal, it has not been reported in the news, but I've heard it floating around from friends. I really hope it isn't true. It's bad enough when we tell certain supportive groups that they can't be a part of our festivities, but advocating violence? What happened to our little community of love and tolerance? We above all people should know that violence is not the answer to anything. Most of us have been subjected to hate and violence for most of our lives. I, myself, have been beaten leaving clubs by cowards who hide in the shadows and wait for people to leave.

That being said, I don't agree with everything being made into a political issue. Why can't we have a celebration without rabble-rousing? Why is it necessary to pollute a good time with violence and hate? It seems like that is what a lot of the people want this year, if the stories are to be believed. It makes me sad and I don't want to be a part of someone's political agenda, so I'll be staying home this time.

I know that some of you are gay or LGBT friendly. I would like your opinion. Am I wrong to feel this way?

2. Berzerker

Berzerker Warlord

go have fun...serve as a beacon of light, a peacemaker

on second thought stay safe, I'd feel terrible if you got hurt doing the Lord's work

3. Patine

Patine Warlord

I know someone from another game (an MMO - World of Warcraft, actually) who is a friend I talk to online from time to time who is a gay man from rural North Carolina. I can understand, if only from his (very fortunate experiences, compared to many in such conditions) stories of his life.

4. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

I think Pride is in a weird place these days, caught between the (generally younger) LGBT+ who want more radical action and those (generally older) who are slightly amazed at how much things have changed since they were younger. I'm not a huge fan of the corporate presence at Pride but one of my good friends who is gay and in his 40s is perfectly fine with the corporate presence as he finds it remarkable how many companies are trying to present themselves as gay-friendly - a complete turnaround from when he was younger and corporations would treat anything vaguely gay with, at best, a "Isn't that special".

I'm largely agnostic on the whole thing.

EDIT: The Atlantic had a pretty good article that touches on the subject.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/06/battle-gay-rights-over/592645/

Peuri likes this.
  5. Berzerker

Berzerker Warlord

corporations and incivility dont mix well

6. Imaus

Imaus Chieftain

Why is it political? Because existing out in the open for Queers is a political issue. It's a political action all by itself.

Queers don't deny it. Stonewall was a riot.

Coins and Bricks were thrown at cops. Black Transsexual Sex Workers started half of that ****, but the Homophile Cis-White Gay men co-opted it quicky (as the Homophile movement was its own thing begging for assimilation). They marched, within five years, "Drag Queens" were pushed out of it and had to wrangle back in. Fifty years later, a Black Trans Sister goes on stage in Stonewall in a disruption and the Cis-White Gays want to call Cops and Security on her. Fifty years later, rights and privileges that should be enshrined for all citizens, if not all people, are on a see-saw ride of being revoked, banned, replaced, repealed, and put back in again come whatever new administration. Fifty years later, all it seems is that the Gay guys who can blend into "normal" society every other day have "won" the meagre right to get married and have love and exist 'out-of-the-way', while Lesbians and Bis and Pans barely clawed up to the same level, and Transfolk are still seen as lesser by community and government.

If you want a 'good time' go to the Bar with some friends whenever you want. But pride, running out in the open, is more than a party. It's a political stance.

That's why I went to the Reclaim Pride march with 45k others. Even if 2mil more want to party up at World Pride in NYC with the cops who will bash them in a moments notice and play with the 700+ floats of companies who still support Rightist and Homophobe PACs and Politicians. Silva and Marsha would be sick at what the Pride movement has turned into: some party where the Homophiles won and no-one else. A world where "Queer" now means 'Leftist" (and thus icky, bad, rabble) LGBTQs are divided against the Rainbows and integrated.

Cloud_Strife and shadowplay like this.
  7. Lemon Merchant

Thank you for the article. It was a good read, and it addresses many of the feelings that I have on the subject. We're almost accepted now, but we still have a little way to go. Respect and tolerance on our parts toward hetero society will get us farther than "flipping the table" will. My only fear is that the radical among us will undo the gains we have made in society. We've almost made it. Let's not blow it in the last lap and come up short by pissing off an entire mainstream society. Like it or not, we are still a minority and we probably will be for a long while.

8. Old Hippy

Old Hippy Chieftain

I'm LGBT friendly and go along to our parade every year.. not as a political statement I leave that to the chief of police and political leaders.. who always seem to hog the front of the parade.... but because it's a good family friendly community day out... and very colourful

9. Lemon Merchant

This is the kind of thing that bothers me. See post #7 for an explanation of why. The very notion of turning the world upside down just because you are gay does not sit well with me. I don't want to be a straight person's nightmare. Radicals within the movement will do nothing more than undo the gains made by the movement. I don't feel particularly marginalized by Homophiles either, but I do have an issue with radical queers casting a bad light on everyone with a homosexual lifestyle.

The way I look at it, I won. I can marry (and did), I can dance with my date at almost any club I choose to go to. I'm free to love how I want. Why should I support people who want to undo all of that from within? Who needs that sort of backlash?

10. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Any time you hear them advocate violence toward straight people, please remind them that there are many of us who make a point of voting for LGBT-friendly political candidates and parties at all three levels of government (municipal, provincial, federal) and speak in favor of legislation that benefits them. I always have, and I've been rather outspoken about it on the CBC comment pages as well. Dunno how much you follow Alberta politics these days, but we have one of Harper's lapdogs as our new Premier, and he made a point of saying it's okay to out kids to their parents regardless of whether or not the kid is ready for it or if it's even safe.

Thirteen years ago I was part of a mass exodus from a gaming forum when the site owners demoted a friend of mine who had been promoted to the middle rank of moderators - some among the anti-LGBT crowd there played the "this site is open to 13-year-olds whose parents buy the product you people sell (games and gaming magazines), and if they find out you have a gay guy on your staff, you'll lose their business" card. He was kicked off staff, the rest of the staff played "circle the wagons" and several dozen of us voted with our online feet - and our wallets.

The way I see it, they knew he was gay when they promoted him, so they should have told the bigots to shut up; they lost far more from alienating the breakaway group than they would have if one or two hypothetical parents (who probably had no idea the forum even existed) had panicked over this guy who contributed a lot to that online community.

11. Patine

Patine Warlord

It would be a wonderful future vision where one fine day sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, social class, etc. don't HAVE to be political.

stfoskey12, The_J and Valka D'Ur like this.
  12. mitsho

mitsho Chieftain

Every movement has the discussion between the radicals and the pragmatists, it's a sign of maturation that we have it in the queer movement now. I've heard the same arguments, but I don't really care. Over here, it's not like these radicals have turned against the more apolitical members of the movement (yet), so maybe I can't compare with your situation.

But from my experience, it's 90+ % of the community who just wants to party or be in the open with their families. The political stages seem emptier. And these people discussing ad nauseam queer theories, gender(s) and liberation remind me of the Byzantines discussing the gender of angels. It's just not helpful for the majority of people.

The same I btw can see in the current feminism movement. But again, it's a perfectly natural evolution. So yeah, let's grow the community, instead of dividing us up into more. racism and gender inequality are core problems affecting lgbtq* after all.

cardgame likes this.
  13. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Warlord

You cannot have progress without radicals pushing for greater inclusivity and moderates tempering it down so it is palatable to the majority.

I will say that just because you have found a comfortable position in society that doesn't mean that others have and we should always be aware that any gains we make can be reversed, for example those that vote republican or conservatively are existential threats for as long as those parties continue to view our rights as being for debate.

Moderates aren't necessarily our allies as well, especially if they are reluctant to acknowledge the threats we face and are hesitant to help us.

cardgame likes this.
  14. Yeekim

Yeekim Warlord

:hmm:

15. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Warlord

Are you aware of the stonewall riots?

If minorities are constantly aggressed upon, force may be the only way to break the stalemate.

16. mitsho

mitsho Chieftain

Sure, but I‘m an optimist in general and I just see so much progress in the last 100 years that I don‘t fear for the rights to be taken away. But I am grateful for all those people who spoke up. They are so much more brave than I ever will be.

Still, 95% of queer and other people are profundly apolitical (unless they are personally directly affected). Let them party. It will get better, just let it take its time.

17. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Warlord

We literally have a vice president who is openly hostile to LGBT rights and a president who couldn't care less about them, with a party that at best views LGBT as morally wrong, with their voting base being happy to inflict punishment and pain on minorities.

They're already pushing back, trying to deprive trans people of their rights, trying to make it easier to discriminate against LGBT people. Rights can only be retained by fighting for them, that's something straight, cis people take for granted.

18. mitsho

mitsho Chieftain

Ah right, I forgot: I am European. Still, we do have these same people here, it‘s a big rift between Western and Eastern Europe. And let‘s not forget the rest of the world, many countries where being gay is still criminalized. I‘m not worried about the US. There are the big coast states of for example California that combat these bad elements. Trump and his loonies are a set-back, he will vanish, his generation will die. In the long run, we are winning.

(I know, not much of a help for those suffering right now personally, but then my viewpoint is a concious decision by myself what to do with my own life, very selfish, I know)

19. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Warlord

It's cool and i respect that.

What i don't respect is people expecting minorities (not saying you are) to suffer what they will until the majority learn that hey, they're people as well and deserve equal rights and dignity and i don't like people who think that bigots marching is the straight equivalent of pride they don't have my best interests in mind, nor my safety or sanity.

mitsho likes this.
  20. red_elk

red_elk Warlord

There is a difference between fighting for your rights and advocating violence against straight people.