1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Pride Week in My Little Town, and Why I Won't be Going

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Lemon Merchant, Jul 1, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Chieftain

Begrudging acceptance.

2. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

Just in your opinion? Without it things would be worse. It takes time for progress. It always has. My support has been whole hearted so I don't see why I should be insulted.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  3. mitsho

mitsho Chieftain

No, it's not about the parade, but about a day off. A holiday. We have countless Christian ones, there's Labour Day for the Left and some cities have even begun to declare International Women's Day a holiday. Let us keep "our" day(s) to shine, as it is an opportunity for a minority to keep to the street and make the street safe to just "be" among ourselves. A day where you can safely look at other guys which can otherwise be awkward. The parade is visibility, and again, we can never have enough holidays. :)

4. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

So you would be in favour of a "christian pride" parade? :)

I don't have a strong opinion on this. Just theorizing that it may be counter-productive. Not my decision to make anyway.

5. mitsho

mitsho Chieftain

Like Lent, Easter, Ascension, Corpus Christi, Whitsunday, Maria Assumption, Christmas and finally Three King's Day? Sure, why not. I do think however there are enough of these already. And of course there's no parade at most of these days (but these parades exist). It's not about the parade, but about the day.

6. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Chieftain

Great, well congratulations, but i'm going by my personal experiences with moderates.

7. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

Yes, you're young and still know everything.

Chicago has parades for almost every holiday. The gay pride parade is one of the better ones. It is disturbing to see the increase of some that oppose it. I can blame Trump ;) i prefer to refuse to hate everyone. Hate just leads to more hate.

8. Kyriakos

I don't know, I mean support for christianity is falling, and many even have openly negative views about christians. Got to fight back against bigotry and a parade seems the way to do so.

9. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

Yeah, minority segments of the population need those parades since the rest of the time seems to be white man celebration days.

10. Kyriakos

Maybe. Personally it isn't my experience that there is any actual group support for being "white" or whatever else. It seems that only in minority movements you get such a sense, which likely is very logical (given a minority is trying to establish itself on equal ground, which is right) but shouldn't be juxtaposed to some supposed analogue for "majority" culture or group.
    I mean... not sure just how polarized things are in the US, but obviously you have white people there taking advantage of other white people easily and in ruthless manner. Same with heterosexual or other majority groups - basically if you are in any large majority, you don't have identity set by that, cause you are just another person in a sea of some gray quality.

TheMeInTeam and ashendashin like this.
  11. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

The US has never been more polarized in my lifetime. I think the internet and social media has helped make the issue worse. But maybe it's just my perception. The late 60's was pretty bad.

Kyriakos likes this.
  12. Farm Boy

Farm Boy The trees are actually quite lovely.

Dad will hands down say the late 60s were much worse. I mean, it's easy to be angry on the internet and Fox/CNN/Reddit/Twitface Cronkite they are not. Start a fight in a college bar with a song selection. Regional cities deploying their Barnies with billy clubs to protect their fathers' WWII tanks in the Veterans' monuments downtown. Veterans throwing their medals back. Bombings, riots, murders. All more common than now.

13. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

I was in some of those protests (due to quickly approaching draft age) but most of the split was over just a few issues. Now it seems that there are more issue. And you never know if the violence will pick up and approach like it was back then. But that was a long time ago and my memory may have softened a bit.

14. red_elk

red_elk Warlord

Everything was better back in the old days. Trees were higher, grass was greener and water was more wet.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    AdamCrock likes this.
  15. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Master of Darkness

I wonder how will it turn out in the end. I am hoping that Lemon will post an aftermath relation past July 28th ;) Sure we can discuss in a heated way before anything happens and maybe nothing will happen and "radicals" would just turn out to be loudmouths (which I hope they will be) because the violence solution is just a provocation to retaliate and the hate circle to go on. (You sure that those violence promoters are not secretly straight people looking for an excuse to bring down the community?) Violence is like a wave and blood breeds blood.

16. GoodEnoughForMe

GoodEnoughForMe n.m.s.s.

I feel like this thread is missing out on the reality on the ground. Things are potentially trending in the wrong direction.

Pride as currently construed is a failure, and the corporate, ahistorical construction of it is partly to blame. There should be something more to pride than collecting free pens and flags from banks and tech companies, and very little now separates the festivals themselves from ribfest/blues fest/random rock festival downtown/etc.

Some of this is to blame on groups like GLAAD who have prioritized fund raising and cozying up to big corporations, but nobody ever won rights or educated anyone over by uh... spinning a PNC wheel and winning a beer koozie. Some of it is driven by the current rhetoric from the white house and far right groups in general. Marine Le Pen had a lot of voting support from gay white men, and this continual drudging up a racial tensions to build wedges in the queer community is going to become way more common.

Just look at GLAAD's own (USA today link) report (actual report) on the subject. Acceptance and allyship has been declining precipitously, with more people reporting feeling uncomfortable with LGBTQ people. A lot of this was always there, and, like recent polling about racism and religious bigotry, might be just more accurate because people feel emboldened, but this demonstrates a colossal failure at the very least.

Anyways, stuff about beating up cis people or whatever at pride is basically always far right conspiracies. Pride wasn't originally a celebration. It was a struggle.

Cutlass and yung.carl.jung like this.
  17. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

I think it is silly to say that Pride isn't political. Heteronormativity is a political issue, a political construct. Fighting back against the oppression experienced by LGBTQ people is an inherently political activity.

This is a false narrative that essentially flips history on its head. The pride movement has its origins in radical anticapitalist queer stuff...it started as a political statement about rejecting bourgeois, heterosexual society completely and over time as been sanitized into a nonpolitical celebration. It has been co-opted and stripped of politics by capitalists who want LGBTQ people to be a market rather than a political constituency.

I mean, for crying out loud, the Stonewall riots- the event largely considered to have begun the gay movement in the United States - was a riot, with violence, against the cruelty and abuse the police routinely dealt out.

If you reject radical politics, that's fine. You don't have to be into all that stuff. But it's sad to deprive yourself of the fun of attending Pride just because a few people said some things you disagree with. There is no indication in your post that this idea of violence against straight people is going to receive any kind of official endorsement, and frankly as a straight person I find the idea that straight people in general might be threatened by this kind of thing laughable. Plenty of homophobes and conservatives will likely use it as an excuse to be homophobes but they're going to do that anyway so what is the point of handwringing about giving them ammunition?

cardgame and Cloud_Strife like this.
  18. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Chieftain

In the UK, that is called targetting the Pink pound.

I cannot help thinking about other days, first Mother's Day, next Father's Day, then Grand Parents day etc.

And that is without starting on anniversaries, Wood, Silver, Gold etc.

Anyway it started as a Pride Day, now it is a Pride Week, soon it may be a Pride Month.

Perhaps it will become a Pride Year.. I dare say any surviving heterosexuals could celebrate heterosexuality each February 29th.

19. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

There already is a Pride month in the US.

20. Synsensa

Synsensa Warlord Retired Moderator

Yes. Heteros are certainly a dying breed. Their plight is truly dire.