1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Pride Week in My Little Town, and Why I Won't be Going

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Lemon Merchant, Jul 1, 2019.

Tags:
  1. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

I'd say check the spelling first but with rap, it doesn't matter if it makes any sense.

2. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Master of Darkness

How to put it in words :think: Unjustified violence is always bad and the justification depends on who is to judge. Is an act of violence on straight people justified ?

3. Berzerker

Berzerker Warlord

Jesus defended the rights of adulterers and condemned the hypocrisy of their persecutors, I think peace making and promoting tolerance is doing the Lord's work.

If Jesus did think it was a sin I'd expect him to mention it somewhere, especially with how much persecution has been done in his name.

I did that back on p1, a reference to peacemaking as doing the Lord's work.

You talking about the Antifa thread?

Thats one interpretation, but its contradicted by Jesus running around repeatedly changing Mosaic law.

4. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Morose & Lugubrious

no language is static, neither in time nor in place. the way we speak today would probably seem weird and vulgar to victorian people. looking down on rap's neologistic creativity and slang language is just old men yelling at clouds.

5. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

With a bonus of heavily racist subtext

Cloud_Strife and yung.carl.jung like this.
  6. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Thread Killer Moderator Supporter

While I agree that there is still work to be done, and awareness that has to be fostered and maintained, I'm totally against the politicization of Pride day. For me, it's a time to come together as a community and celebrate that which makes us what we are. To enjoy the fellowship. I resent some of what I am hearing from the sidelines about "making the straights pay" and people advocating violence against straight people. I mean, what's going to happen if these people act on their threats? A public beating of straight spectators to the parade? Straight-bashing? That's no answer and I refuse to consider it as one. We've made so many gains in the past ten years, I would hate to lose the support of straight society because of the actions of a few idiots who think that the war is still on. That ship sailed when we became more mainstream. We're starting to assimilate, finally. We mostly got what we wanted. I refuse to let some rabble-rousers eff it all up.

El_Machinae likes this.
  7. Imaus

Imaus Chieftain

Out of nowhere, 'Straight Bashing'? You did't allude to this in the OP. Let me tell you something.

No one at Reclaim Pride wanted to bash Straights. This seems like a very niche issue. The politicization continues not because we want 'revenge', but because the system is tired of the struggle and thinks marriage was the end-all be-all goal. It was the Homophile Goal. But that's not the Queer goal, because there's more to do, more to fight for, than just Marriage.

It's for full equality under the law, full protection under the law, full equity under the law. To decriminalise Sex Work, to get the cops off our asses for existing (not a carte blanche for the BE GAY DO CRIMES thing, which itself is just a light-hearted rally).

To make sure our Trans Sisters aren't dropping dead in Prisons; and to extend on that, to make sure few to no one dies in Prisons just 'mysteriously' or 'suddenly'.

To make sure that if the Companies want to be our allies, or sponsors, or recipients of our cash, that they shouldn't just turn around and fund PACs and SuperPACs supporting homophobic politicians and organisations.

The "Straight Bashing" thing is really out of left field.

We welcome our straight allies. We might say 'Hey, this isn't all about you, it's about us, and us working together', but little more than that.

8. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

I don't see what sex work has to do with LGBT equality -whether social or legal. It strikes me as a distinctly separate issue.

9. Imaus

Imaus Chieftain

Apparently, I cannot speak for all or have much info on the matter, LGBTQ+ do fall into Sex Work/selling themselves due to issues of poverty and homelessness. In NYC, numbers are claimed to be as high that 40% of homeless youth are LGBTQ; and are liable to prostitute themselves. Transwomen of Colour are also over-represented in this regard, and the Cops are liable to pin charges of prostitution and sex-work on them, leading to incarceration and the dangers thereof. Ontop of the dangers of unregulated Sex Work writ large; which might be eased by decriminalisation and legalisation.

One of the big themes of the recent march was that all these issues and problems are interconnected and need confronting and addressing.

10. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

That still strikes me as a different issue than legal and social equality. I'm not unaware of the problem of homeless LGBT youth - my mom does extensive work with a homeless youth (and by extension, homeless LGBT youth)- but legalizing sex work is a separate issues.

11. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Entangled Retired Moderator Supporter

The genie is out of the bottle @Lemon Merchant and it cannot be put back. It has taken decades to get as far as we have, but the last ten years or so have seen huge progress. Go to your celebration with joy and enthusiasm or stay home and cheer on the celebration from your living room with joy and enthusiasm. You are winning your war.The millennials are replacing the boomers one day and one death at a time.

We always want what we want and we want it now! Be content with winning. :)

12. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Warlord

It makes me feel bad this is considered a good thing and for some good reasons. I hate the idea of a society so static in mindset it only changes through death.

13. Birdjaguar

It is the way of things. Generations roll from one to the next as the youth experiences of a generation shapes its adulthood and then replaces those dying off. It is called progress. The multi-racial and cultural experiences of millennials will go mainstream; The Rush Limbaughs and Donald Trumps of the world are a dying breed.

14. caketastydelish

caketastydelish 49ers 2019

Yes but there are still conservatives that either are younger people or appeal to younger people. Milo Yianpolis and Jordan Peterson being prime examples.

Hardly any young people watch Fox News but that doesn’t mean there are hardly any younger conservatives.

15. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Warlord

Not fast enough, Birdjaguar, not fast enough. Satan is getting lonely.

16. Birdjaguar

Yes, I agree. We can only hope that the next Big Mac strokes him out.

yung.carl.jung likes this.
  17. adcarrymaokai

adcarrymaokai Chieftain

Not sure how the straight bashing topic came about, but it's rather unbecoming to see it peddled by some members to no end. I have been to pride many times, and no one has bashed. I don't think I was even hit on by a guy once (which is almost disappointing).

I mean, I am sure that somewhere in the universe a monkey's digit curled and a straight man was harassed by a gay one, but the odds of this happening are so disproportionate to the violence gay people receive from straight people that the comparison is pretty offensive even from the mathematical standpoint. It's like the argument that because 0.000001% of rape victim lie about rape, we should not trust any rape victims.

Besides, these are still personal actions and just people being *******s. But when was the last time a straight person was not hired for being straight? Or when was a straight teenagers kicked out of their home by heterophobic parents just for being straight? Or maybe a shooter coming to a straight club and killing 49 straight people for being straight?

To me, this whole "straight bashing" discourse in this tread feels like a right-wing talking point and fearmongering. Take some very small and extremely rare case and blow it into a huge threat, and then watch people fight over it without even critically thinking about what is going on.

smh

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    Cloud_Strife likes this.
  18. adcarrymaokai

adcarrymaokai Chieftain

Historical facts simply do not support your claims. Pride "celebration" started 50 years with black trans women throwing bricks at the police for consistently raiding gay bars and harassing them. The violence was started by the police, and the queers had nothing else left to do but defend themselves with "violence", if throwing bricks at police cars is "violence". So yeah, pride literally originated as a violent riot, and as far as I understand, the major point of content today is that pride has become a celebration for mostly straight teenagers and has lost its rebellious spirit, which was alive and well in the years after Stonewall Riots and during the AIDS epidemic.

Speaking of which, if thousands of gay men did not go out in the streets to protests, blocking roads and clashing with cops, they would continue dying from HIV, and nothing would be done about it because as we know, Ronald Raegan was a firm believer that AIDS was god's punishment for gayness. But thanks to these protesters, there are now medications which allow HIV+ people to live as long as HIV- people. Imagine how many lives could have been saved if the government acted sooner?

Another concern is that pride has become pretty much a cheap marketing tactics for corporations, which simply slap a rainbow sticker on their product and try to pander to LGBT. Many of these companies donate to anti-gay politicians and do not advance gay rights at the actual workplace, but they will gladly take your gay money.

Gay marriage also did not materialize out of thin air and was a result of protests and lobbying over the years, though the swift advance of gay rights was largely facilitated by white people having gay white children. So the older white people in power who wanted better conditions for their children used their power to advance gay-friendly legislature. Black people, for example, generally do not have white parents, so the racial progress still lacks behind in comparison.

I think that as a member of the LGBT community, you should be embarrassed by your rather pedestrian understanding of where your own rights came from, especially in this day and age when the entire history of pride and gay rights is two mouse clicks away.

dusters likes this.
  19. adcarrymaokai

adcarrymaokai Chieftain

It's honestly mind-boggling how many libs cling to the ideology of civility and non-violence, when every major human rights advancement was done with a violent riot. Are you really expecting your oppressors to give you the rights just because they felt bad for you that one day? Are you really telling me that the USA gained its independence by negotiation with the British Empire, and the British Empire voluntarily giving up all of its claims in North America? Are you telling me men just willy nilly granted women the right to vote?

Are you telling me that if someone oppressed me, I should just suck it up and wait for better days when they come to their senses and stop oppressing me? You are supposed to lick the boot, not deepthroat it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

El_Machinae likes this.
  20. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Can't fight for acceptance. One can only fight for equal rights before the law. Anyone can accept or not accept anyone, for whatever reason. Eg one may not like Bernie because he is an "old white man", which to me seems pretty dumb a reason to not like him, but like I said you can't fight for actual views, only for rights.