Priesthoods other than the major five in the game

Immaculate

unerring
What would a priesthood dedicted to Sirona be like?
One to Amathoan?
One to Camullos?
One to Succellos?

I'm asking because i am part of a never-ending-story (see signature) where we are sort of playing a story-based game with these factions starting to become more and more important and i am not sure exactly what they would be like.

Well, the Priesthood of Oghma would be devoted to Knowledge and research, and would give a boost to Libraries and other such reserach generating buildings in the city :p

i'd imagine an oghma sect being a religious group of librarian/researchers who either jealously guard their knowledge or go out into the towns and help educate people in any topic they're looking for. i'd guess if u met one he'd be a walking encyclopedia know-it-all.

Yeah- a preisthood to Oghma seems like cloistered monks to me... they live in dusty old monastaries filled with endless books. They transcribe knowledge, seek new knowledge- each one probably has some sort of treatise they are working on. Their hierocracy may even be based on publication record... oh wait... i just described modern academic research...

What about the others? Sirona especially?

Yeah- a preisthood to Oghma seems like cloistered monks to me... they live in dusty old monastaries filled with endless books. They transcribe knowledge, seek new knowledge- each one probably has some sort of treatise they are working on. Their hierocracy may even be based on publication record... oh wait... i just described modern academic research...

That's not how I envision my Amurite Scholars, though. (they are open and free about knowledge... sort of like govannon.)

Sirona's priesthoods would probably travel around, establishing Hospitals and healing those who are sick or injured.
They would also try to redeem the followers of the evil gods, in the hope that, through all those redemptions, Agares and the other evil gods can be redeemed. (As sirona beleives they can.)

Think about the civs that have them as patron deities. So a priet of Sirona would probably be somewhat like an Elohim citizen etc., but of coruse take that with a grain of salt.

I'm not realy sure all of them have priesthoods.

It seems unlikely that the god of chaos has an organized religion devoted to him.

Amothaon would be one of the gods revered by the Fellowship of the Leaves. I'm not sure if he has his own cult as well.

Sucellos is also revered by the Fellowship of the Leaves, formerly as their prime diety and now as the second most important. He also has his own priesthood: the Druids.

The Order of the Elohim (the order of Monks around which the nation of the Elohim grew) could perhaps be considered a priesthood of Sirona, although Immanual Logos founder gave up his position as Sirona's chief priest/tribal king in order to found it. Technically, Einion Logos ins the head of this order rather than the civilization. Perpentach was raised in an asylum run by the Sisterhood of Sirona. He was the only survivor of said asylum, as he took over the minds of everyone there and made them attend to his needs and whims before essentials like feeding themselves.

We all know that Tali doesn't have an organized religion, but he does have a lot of adventurers that follow him and maintain shrines in really hard to reach places, like the edges of very tall cliffs.

Mammon's religion in the Stewards of Inequity, which isn't particularly religious in nature. Most members don't realize they are worshiping Mammon, as he prefers they think they are serving their own interests. The Stewards are more like a secret society of the wealthy conspiring to stay wealthy, often allying with the Council of Esus but not nearly so violent.

I don't think Oghma is very active in creation, and he may not have a religion. Considering that his vault is under attack by Mammon, he may be too busy to do much for his followers.

Oghma also tries to keep much of his knowledge secret to stop Mammon from getting it. His followers would use some very complex codes, ciphers, and riddles to make their knowledge inaccessible to the uninitiated.

The Amurites in general are very secretive about their arcane knowledge. The mage guilds that form that society's aristocracy hate Govannon for sharing their secrets, and dislike Valledia for protecting him. Of course, they also fear Govannon because he is as powerful a sorcerer as any among them, and Valledia because she si blackmailing them for a lot of things.

Thank you so much magister.

Okay, lets take this exercise one step further.

Now, instead of asking what is known about them in a typical FFH world, lets ask, what could be...?

Lets say... that Camulos has organized followers... what would they be like...?
Lets say that Succellos has a urban following... what would that be?
Lets say that the sisters of Sirona are active and helping to run refugee camps in a religiously lenient Grigori land- what would they be like?
Lets say that Amathoan has a cult that has grown up around his blessing to artists in a Kuriotates city that take its artists as heroes and champions (not militarily but culturally).

Feel free to propose a situation involving the gods, their priest, cults and alternate (but not SO very different) FFH worlds.

Let's say oghma is a goddess, and has driven Mammon's forces to the edge, and takes an interest in creation.

Thank you so much magister.

Okay, lets take this exercise one step further.

Now, instead of asking what is known about them in a typical FFH world, lets ask, what could be...?

Lets say... that Camulos has organized followers... what would they be like...?

He doesnt. His followers are individuals worshipping him in their own particular fashion. In most cases that comes in causing as much pain as possible. Some internalize it and torture themselves, most are berserkers loosing all control in battles, some are more subtle psychopaths. An occasional general who delights in those he marches into battle, or making secret sacrifices to help out his men.

Lets say that Succellos has a urban following... what would that be?

The unblemished are powerful healers. Those with divine power are rare, but many that revere Succellus can speed the healing process of those they tend. They would man infirmaries and may even be scientific men investigating the science of disease and healing.

Lets say that the sisters of Sirona are active and helping to run refugee camps in a religiously lenient Grigori land- what would they be like?

Think Mother Tersa. Very compassionate people who serve their goddess by tending to the most unfortunate among them. Missionary work is big, especially in sending wealthy young Elohim into impoverished cities to serve for a time. This would be one fo the most tolerated religions in Grigori cities because they dont have to prolestize, they are just there to help. The Grigori wouldnt like the help (because they are fiercly self sufficient) but would accept it after great tragedies like loss in war or natural disasters.

Lets say that Amathoan has a cult that has grown up around his blessing to artists in a Kuriotates city that take its artists as heroes and champions (not militarily but culturally).

A man doesnt pick Amathaeon, Amathaeon picks a man. They are usually brilliant inventors and artists. There is no formal worship (though many tithe to Amathaeon for inspiration) instead his chosen are expected to create wonderous things.

That is pretty much what I was thinking.

I always figured that the Grigori and the Elohim got along quite well, and that Sirona was the most tolerated of the gods there. Immanuel Logos seems like he would be one of Cassiel's personal heroes, as he turned his back on the (formal) worship of Sirona in order to help the orphans of the godswar, regardless of what gods they follow. This seems to be working towards Cassiel's ideal, a world where men ignore the petty differences between their gods and focus on making the world a better place for their fellow man. Cassiel would not approve of Ethne's actions at all, but neither did Einion or the other more traditional Elohim who considered summoning Basium to be a betrayal of everything the Elohim had stood for since the days of Immanuel.

Hmm...If Amathaon has no formal worship, where to the tithes given to him actually go? Towards financing the works of the wonders his chosen have designed?

Butterflies flutter down to the money, and drag it into the heavens where it is never seen again, outside of a certain dragon's hoard. :p

I wonder how much similarity there is between FfH gods and the celtic gods whose names they wear.
For instance Oghma is the god of eloquence and a champion of strength, depicted as an old Hercules with gold links going from his tongue to the ears of men. I'd expect people who worship the FfH namesake to be somewhat similar: Old men who travelled a lot in order to collect knowledge, talking to many people in order to gather information and able to kill lions with a club in order to defend themselves. Scholars like Herodotus may have been: travellers who, when they get old, write down their journeys and collected knowledge.

I wonder how much similarity there is between FfH gods and the celtic gods whose names they wear.
For instance Oghma is the god of eloquence and a champion of strength, depicted as an old Hercules with gold links going from his tongue to the ears of men. I'd expect people who worship the FfH namesake to be somewhat similar: Old men who travelled a lot in order to collect knowledge, talking to many people in order to gather information and able to kill lions with a club in order to defend themselves. Scholars like Herodotus may have been: travellers who, when they get old, write down their journeys and collected knowledge.

Not much. The good/bad thing about celtic mythology is so much of it is unclear. They didnt have a decent written language to document their mythology and the romans tried their best to wipe out their gods or match them up to roman gods (and then the christians did the same afterwards).

I use a lot of celtic names in the mod just to make it sound consistent. Thats all the god names really are. I tried to match them up a bit with their celtic namesakes, with Arawn probably being the closest, but I really just needed names.

So, on the topic of NESes, what of Ceridwen's cults? I suspect I'll be using her, not Agares, as a patron deity if I can arrange it. I'm seeing a relatively corrupt combination of a magocracy and theocracy with plentiful human sacrifice, a corrupted desire for knowledge not dissimilar to the Ashen Veil's, and maybe a penchant for promotion by assassination... but beyond that I'm grasping at straws.

Top Bottom